Flowmasters

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
so i put the Bassani catted X on my car to pass echeck. it passed no problems, and i left the cats on for awhile because i liked the way it sounded. then i got bored with how quiet it was compared to my old Pypes o/r X so i pulled the cats off and put the straight pipes Bassani gave me in their place and put it on the ground and fired it up. at first i was happy because the loudness was back. within 2sec of me driving down the street i couldnt believe how bad it sounded. i didnt like the sound of the Pypes o/r x, or so i thought so after listening to youtube vids i thought the bassani would sound better.

long story short... are my flowmasters the reason i get that dreadful almost glasspack sound without cats? i HATE it personally. i love how much louder the car is without cats which is why i took them off, i think it gives that "mustang sound". the car came with flowmasters so i have no idea how it would sound with something else on it. what exhaust systems should i look into to get rid of that horrible glasspack sound without the cats on?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
If I had to guess I'd say it was the Bassani X, i believe it's called a clamshell X pipe instead of the true X of the pypes pipe. the clamshell usually tends to give a more raspy, unclean sound when used offroad style. what flowmasters do you have? I've never heard flowmasters sound like glasspacks.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
thats the problem.. i, nor the previous owner, have any idea. i hav been told they sound like the american thunder cat back so im not sure if that helps or not. but the Pypes sounded just as bad lol only reason i replaced the Pypes was because i needed cats to pass echeck. and it may not be entirely like glasspacks but it has a very similar sounding.. kinda "raaaaa" to it

clark98gt

Reaction score
I'm with onyx on this one. I had a bbk o/r x before with my flowmasters and it sounded horrible. I have since changed to a o/r h and like it much better. I have not heard one with a true x before so I'm no help there.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i need a video. lol. ive never heard of a chambered muffler being compared to a glasspack.

also, I had a bassani catted X and flowmasters on my 96 GT and i loved the way it sounded. It was a little rough on long trips due to the flow master drone, but in town, it was epic... the rumble off the buildings, the bubbly exhaust when RPMs drop, clean and crisp acceleration tone through redline......

I left my cats, i loved it the way it was.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
^with cats i frickin love it too. it sounds incredible. but its just not loud enough lol i got so used to my old x echoing off of anything and everything that i kinda wanted it back... minus the terrible sound when you step on it. but if its gonna require me to buy another X, or even an H, after i spent a ridiculous amount of money on the bassani, forget it ill just have to live with it not being as loud to other GT's and the one cobra around here lol

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I need to see pics of these mufflers, usually 40 series flows have a pretty distinct sound and I'm not sure this has that sound...

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
well after watching that entire video, and others, i DEFINITELY hav 40's. i mean mine is LOUD as hell and sounds identical to that black GT. so im hoping that if i change the mufflers to something else that it will get rid of that sound. dont get me wrong when you jump on it its sexy how it sounds but just cruising around town shifting through the gears i just dont like it

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you mean that real "hollow" sound? like its a grizzly bear getting pressed through a chain-link-fence inside of a man-hole cover?

that would be the flows, not the bassani.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
lmao i love how you describe it but YES that is the sound im talking about!!! so what would be a good cat-back to change to to get RID of that sound?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well.

bassani :)

LOL.

i have a pair of XR1 borla mufflers. my long tubes (and cats) pushed my entire system back too far and now they wont fit.... they are by FAR my favorite sounding muffler on 4v mustangs.

i understand yours may be a 2v, but they still sound stellar.

you tube them up, and let me know if youre interested.

1 is brand new in box, never been opened.
the other was opened, tested for fit-ment, and put back in the box.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
listening to these videos seriously causes me pain.

i cant even explain how disappointed i am that they didnt fit... my heart sank.

the only other time i felt like this was when my headers wouldn't clear my steering shaft... . .... i thought we were going to have to pull my motor.

now ive got ugly stupid flowmaster-knock offs... ..... . $49.99 mufflers. .. . awesome. exactly what i wanted on my 3 year old project.

anyways, as to not send your thread on a wild tangent, i posted a thread in the classifieds. I'll PM it to you. you wont be disappointed.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
because the cross over is too close to the rear axle. there isnt enough space to go from the "x" back out before the mufflers. it would need like, a 90* bend at the X and a 90* bend at the XR1. THEN up and over the axle. .. ..

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
i have to agree with onyx if your heart and sould is into that car is there no way to modify your exhaust to fit them? i mean, im in NO way trying to rub it in i swear, but dude those things sound sick! if theres no way to modify it tho, i guess ill shortys when im ready, or maybe take a shot in the dark and get the bassani mids.

but anyways ill look for the ad. good lookin out bro!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My car has to pass emissions, so it needs cats as well as the cross over. The only option we have was a shorter muffler with off-set positions.

I'm going to re-do the cat back once i have more money. but if i put another penny into this thing without driving it, im going to blow my brains out.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
wait, you pass emissions with long tubes? i didnt think that was possible. or at least i heard that you cant. i need to pass echeck here in ohio too so thats why i went with the catted x rather than just a plain o/r x. but i hear you there when my car sits for even a day i get antsy to drive it. im afraid to start building mine because i know im gonna want to drive it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online