Flowmasters

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
because the cross over is too close to the rear axle. there isnt enough space to go from the "x" back out before the mufflers. it would need like, a 90* bend at the X and a 90* bend at the XR1. THEN up and over the axle. .. ..

wtf kind of exhaust are you running? that doesn't make any sense.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i have no idea man. lol. i left the recirc. on, i put cats on, i put a cross over in, i put mufflers on... .. . ... .. we made the gas-tank look factory as all get-up... if i fail. I'll kill.... (not really. i register it in wyoming..... ) lol.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
why wouldnt you just buy long tubes and midpipe for an '03 cobra since thats the engine ur running, then just buy a SRA catback with whatever mufflers you want? I don't see what the problem is here.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol..... ug. i hate to totally pwn this thread. lol.

[tangent]
BUT....

i bought the XR1s half way through my build (1 year-ish? ago) thinking they would fit. I planned on doing a full custom set up, due to the quality of my build.

once we got my motor/tranny in for the last time, we noticed my header pointed DIRECTLY at the tranny bracket. so, we had to modify that. my exhaust now rests a meager .5" from my floorboard, so we *assumed* the shop would have to build a custom one to pass under my new fabricated tranny bracket anyways (point downwards, before it heads backwards, if that makes any sense.)

The entire build i kept it as emissions legal as we could. we skipped the charcole canisters, as they were not compatible from 96-04 and we didnt have the 04 setup (its an entire set up... lol. not just a box in the fender. they went hard-core on the cobras.... got a braket next to the gas tank, a canister next to the tank, all the lines, etc.) but i wanted the exhaust to pass.

As you can tell by my posts on here, im an avid supporter of using cats. so, i had them put those on. instead of them being tucked up next to the k-member, they are past my LT collectors. Exhausts have to have a cross over (unless you have a V6, ? ive been told???) anyways, now the plumbing goes from the cats to the x. after the x, they have to come back out closer to the sides of the car. by this point, there was no room (16" housing on the XR1s, i think?) for the XR1s, as they have center-center I/O and we needed offset to have any chance of by-passing the gas-tank.

moral of the story: couldnt get an off the shelf unit due to my triangular collector flange, questionable tranny-mount clearance, and requirement for cats.

Kooks made me a nice custom set up (for $700.00) then my credit card bounced (cant run more than 350.00 in a single swipe) but it was a blessing, as when their headers didnt fit they told me to go fly a kite, so i told their accounts lady to do the same.

[ / tangent]

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't understand why you need all this custom exhaust work done... why not just buy stuff that's made to fit?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
because theres nothing off the shelf for "will this clear my fabricated transmission mount?" lol.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They have a proper transmission mount my headers were designed for a t56 transmission. I have a t45.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
u stuck with a t45 behind your termy engine? you're mad son. either way i thought it was just the length of the T56 that made the exhaust different. Sounds like you're doing stuff the hard way and its biting you in the ass now lol

oh, and sorry for the thread derail i just couldn't help myself.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
What year car do you have?
If its a 96-98. Then the awful sound your getting is callled a "trumpet". It sounds like shit on the inside, but like god screaming on the outside. The RRRRAAAAAA sound is more like "BLATTTT" which is similar to the noise a harley davidson makes with o/r H+flowmasters.

O/R X i cant give you much info on with the 4.6L. I do know it will create the awful noise you hate on the 4.6L. On the older 5.0 the o/r x doesn't create this noise with flowmasters.

edit: Seems you have a new edge, so its a 4.6L and yes your getting the trumpet noise. Now you add the factor your using a chambered X pipe (bbk/ bassani) your getting a extra effect of the trumpet which some like and most hate. BBK x pipes are nortious for sounding like shit to most people and sounding good to a small amount of people.
Sadly, bassani uses the same style.

X_Pipe_2003_Cobra.jpg

bkk-
bbkshortxpipe.jpg

What you want is a normal X pipe (it will clean the sound up a lot)
96-04XPIPE_LRG.gif

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i have flowmasters and an am catless x pipe on mine and it sounds great. nothing like glasspacks!

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Chris all good buddy rant away lol. it soudns like youve got a lot of time and effort wrapped up in your exhaust tho, and personally i think id rather change head gaskets (depending on car of course) than to do any sort of exhuast work because its just such a PITA! i wish i could offer some advice on your mounting issues, but im not an exhuast guy myself as im sure youve picked up on already lol.

Twista that makes a ton of sense. i had hoped that by spending the extra dollar, or hundreds, that i would get a good sounding x pipe. however, that second video i believe i posted sounds absolutely incredibe IMO. and that guy used the same x pipe i have, and the xr1's chris has. there is a slight trumpet sound to it but not NEARLY the amount the flowmasters have. i really do have to agree on all the points you made tho, especially with the chambering. but i really think the flowmasters are my biggest issue.

Tony, its funny you should say that because i have read on many people using catless pipes on flowmasters and they love the sound. but like Twista said it depends on the x you have. although alot of people run BBK's. you might have a different set of flowmasters on tho. i do believe im running 40's

as of tonight im thoroughly disgusted with the current shape of the exhaust. i could live with the obnoxious sound if i had at least the same speed as before, but its slower. alot slower. not only in low band but mid and almost high as well. i was on the interstate tonight and dropped into 3rd and ripped it, normally it shoots up to 100+ in no time at all but tonight it dragged its way to 90 and i gave up. im not sure what the deal is now but im not happy lol. i may have to get under there and readjust everything and run a new tune on it and see what happens

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
after many hours of research (and family guy on netflix!) iv come to the conclusion that my total loss of power, should be directed to me not retuning before i took it out today. when i eventually decide to pry myself from my pillow ill get out there and retune her and take her back out and hope for the best!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you left your rear o2s in place they may be scrambling your cars brains without cats on there.

acomaelkhunter

Reaction score
i have bbk equal length headers, bbk off road x-pipe and flowmaster american thunders and my mustang screams at high rpms a rumbles at idle!!! i had a mac off road h-pipe which had a lower tone that i didnt care for....thats my 2 cents worth

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
If you left your rear o2s in place they may be scrambling your cars brains without cats on there.

i swear i had them turned off last time i tuned the car but then again i may have turned them back on just to be safe for echeck purposes. not entirely certain tho, but ill retune it if i get the chance later today. because yeah i read on many different forums and such that the rear o2 sensors being on could be messing everything up

i have bbk equal length headers, bbk off road x-pipe and flowmaster american thunders and my mustang screams at high rpms a rumbles at idle!!! i had a mac off road h-pipe which had a lower tone that i didnt care for....thats my 2 cents worth

see i personally prefer the lower tone lol. if i had done any research before i bought my x pipe i may have gone with an h until i built my car up

acomaelkhunter

Reaction score
i think the other factors to the sound is the e303 cam!!! and other under the hood mods

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
so i put the Bassani catted X on my car to pass echeck. it passed no problems, and i left the cats on for awhile because i liked the way it sounded. then i got bored with how quiet it was compared to my old Pypes o/r X so i pulled the cats off and put the straight pipes Bassani gave me in their place and put it on the ground and fired it up. at first i was happy because the loudness was back. within 2sec of me driving down the street i couldnt believe how bad it sounded. i didnt like the sound of the Pypes o/r x, or so i thought so after listening to youtube vids i thought the bassani would sound better.

long story short... are my flowmasters the reason i get that dreadful almost glasspack sound without cats? i HATE it personally. i love how much louder the car is without cats which is why i took them off, i think it gives that "mustang sound". the car came with flowmasters so i have no idea how it would sound with something else on it. what exhaust systems should i look into to get rid of that horrible glasspack sound without the cats on?

Dronemasters sound great at idle and low RPM but I personally think they sound like ass up high. Way too raspy and crackly. Get yourself a set of Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers and prepare yourself for a mile wide smile. Nice and subtle at idle depending on your cam, not too loud down low but omfg when you get on it they sound absolutely amazing. Everywhere I went when I had my 5.0 people would ask me wth exhaust I had since just about EVERYONE rolls with Dronemasters or the occasional Magnaflow or Bassanni.

I personally have Dynomax Thrush mufflers on mine right now from the P/O which are basically Dynomax's version of Flowmasters. I am not the biggest fan of them and next spring one of the first things I'm doing is going back to the Ultras like I had on my 5.0 Cobra.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online