Frist time engine pull need a little help

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by homebuilt46, Jun 2, 2015.

1. homebuilt46

homebuilt46 New Member

okay guys its my first engine pull. I'm stuck around the AC compressor part. if pulling the engine do I need to take the a/c compressor off too or just leave it on? also do I need to drain a/c system?

2. Musturd

Musturd Legend

Yea uou would need to drain it . I usually unbolt the compressor bracket off the the motor and move it to the side to avoid recharging the a/c

3. homebuilt46

homebuilt46 New Member

Is there anyway to get around it without having to drain it? My clutch is done and I already started to take it apart.

4. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

You dont have to drain it just to pull the engine. I do it the same way Musturd just described, unbolt the compressor from the block and move it over to the side, pull the engine out. Also, you dont have to drain the system to replace the a/c clutch.

5. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

Its 3 bolts that hold the compressor to the block. Def the easiest way. My buddy unhooked his lines once not knowing this and discharged his system all over my garage ..... a year later im still finding little green specs from that shit...

6. homebuilt46

homebuilt46 New Member

Yeah I just pulled the compressor on the motor and left it hanging. Starting in the exhaust now.