front 13" brake Caliper options

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Wow, the caliper cost has gone up a little since I built this thread.
[MENTION=16753]Cpotts13[/MENTION]
The JEGS calipers will be $350, rotors are $140 (good price for the pair, not sure of the quality), the brackets are $299 (this is just brackets/shims/hardware IMO, but you should email rev-brake they were very responsive when I dealt with them).

You will still need the lines and pads. Lines are something you will make with AN4 braided pieces (I can measure mine for reference) plus fittings/ends for the chassis and caliper side. Then you'll need some pads, figure $200 for both depending how fancy of a pad you get. My math says you'll be there for a grand or a little less.

How they stack up:
If you're running them on the street, it's really just bling. If you can lock up now, you won't lock up any different with big brakes whether they are 4 or 6 piston.

If you're track driving, you do need the Cobra rears at minimum with the Cobra MC on a early SN, not sure if the MC is different in the Hydroboost models. Brake modulation and threshold braking feel are much improved, pads make a lot of difference in this as well, so there's no sense in spending thousands on a brake setup then going with cheap part store pads. I would rather spend zero on the brake setup, and get some awesome pads for performance.

Anyway, I really like the Wilwood setup. Braking is predictable, pads are a breeze to swap with the bridgebolt design, and the calipers have help up well in the 2-3 seasons I've run them. Pads are cheaper than for OEM calipers and have a lot more meat on them, so they last longr.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Okay.... I saw amarican muscle had a ss line kit for wilwood calipers. Would this work? I have a Mach, will the MC be fine? Honestly this is more of a bling thing for me since my car has never and probably never see the track. Just being honest here..

Cpotts13

Reaction score
OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
They do look correct, my kit came with:

The thread pitch is obviously important. Sounds like you have it figured out. The rev-kit came with the Wilwood Polymatrix 'B' compound pads, this would make a great street compound. Good bite when cold, little dust, and still did great when hot. But I burned them up in 3 track days, so they do wear when they get continuous use in the heat.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Yes I got everything squared away. Spoke with kevin at revolution and ordered the brackets for the 14" kit. I am going to source my own calipers and rotors. The kit was 370 (pads, brackets and lines), rotors were 180 (centric gt500) and calipers 340. So 890 out the door. I went with 14" mostly to fill up the wheel.. I am going to paint the calipers as well..

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
What calipers? The Wilwoods?

Cpotts13

Reaction score
See what confused me was that the calipers say max rotor size of 13". But revolution assured me that they have been using the calipers for years on 14" rotors and something on the lines of wilwood recently changed the description to a max of 13"... I guess ill be the test dummy!

95opal

Reaction score
See what confused me was that the calipers say max rotor size of 13". But revolution assured me that they have been using the calipers for years on 14" rotors and something on the lines of wilwood recently changed the description to a max of 13"... I guess ill be the test dummy!

That's an odd caliper they spec'd for your application. Wilwood offers the same superlite caliper with a bit larger piston area that is designed for your car. Also the way that is lug mount compared to radial mount as most there big brake kits come. Seems as though revolution hoge poged together a cheap version to utilize a 14" rotor. I would pay specific attention to the rotor thickness when you go to buy them and make sure they fall within wilwoods recommendations. JFYI im pretty sure you could have bought that antire kit ready to bolt on for about $1000 or went with the 6 piston 14" for a tad over $1400.

Anyway keep us posted as Im interested to see how it works out for you. I went the easy way and purchased the 14" 6 piston set up and it was a nice easy install with no fuss.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I actually don't think it's Hodge podge... I asked about the bigger piston calipers and the reason they spec these one specificly is to retain pedal feel and keep the braking system balanced. I sourced my own rotors. They're centric gt500 spec (355x32), the wilwood calipers accept a 1.25inch rotor. The reason I was sold on this kit compared to the m-3000x was the surface area. The Brembos pistons cover 7.05in2 compared to the wilwoods 8.24in2 per caliper. Plus the extra inch on the rotor. Either one of is a huge increase from the oem cobra brakes at 3.89in2. But like I said, I am the test dummy for thi since I cannot dig up any information. I do however think they are a solid and reliable company and have been in business makinging these kits since 2002. From what richard said, he has been running there 13" inch kit and it was a good improvement.

95opal

Reaction score
I actually don't think it's Hodge podge... I asked about the bigger piston calipers and the reason they spec these one specificly is to retain pedal feel and keep the braking system balanced. I sourced my own rotors. They're centric gt500 spec (355x32), the wilwood calipers accept a 1.25inch rotor. The reason I was sold on this kit compared to the m-3000x was the surface area. The Brembos pistons cover 7.05in2 compared to the wilwoods 8.24in2 per caliper. Plus the extra inch on the rotor. Either one of is a huge increase from the oem cobra brakes at 3.89in2. But like I said, I am the test dummy for thi since I cannot dig up any information. I do however think they are a solid and reliable company and have been in business makinging these kits since 2002. From what richard said, he has been running there 13" inch kit and it was a good improvement.

Let me rephrase it a bit as your taking it a lil different than what I was trying to get across. For the same money you can buy a complete wildwood kit instead of buying separate rotors, calipers with different brackets ect. So in the end its a bunch more leg work for the same basic result. You cant go wrong with wilwood, readily available pads and replacement parts, good customer service and quality is hard to beat. I looked into brembro and others when I upgraded from the cobra brakes and wildwood seemed like the no brainer, wish I could say how good the brakes feel but until I finish this heep all I can say is they sure look dam good lol.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Let me rephrase it a bit as your taking it a lil different than what I was trying to get across. For the same money you can buy a complete wildwood kit instead of buying separate rotors, calipers with different brackets ect. So in the end its a bunch more leg work for the same basic result. You cant go wrong with wilwood, readily available pads and replacement parts, good customer service and quality is hard to beat. I looked into brembro and others when I upgraded from the cobra brakes and wildwood seemed like the no brainer, wish I could say how good the brakes feel but until I finish this heep all I can say is they sure look dam good lol.

Oh okay I understand now. Well hopefully this is worth the leg work!

Cpotts13

Reaction score
[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] stupid question... how do you bleed these calipers??

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Bleed with the upper bleed-ports. Start on the outer, then the inner.

Hope that answers your Q.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online