front 13" brake Caliper options

BigBore96

Reaction score
Like mentioned above, the cobra caliper and the gt caliper are the same. You will need to buy cobra pads because they are thinner to accommodate the thicker vented cobra rotor.

this. hopefully you can swap them out for the correct thickness.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I didn't have an issue with that. Not sure if my pads were just worn enough, or got lucky.

BigBore96

Reaction score
IIRC the GT pads are about 17mm thick and the Cobra pad is either 14 or 15 mm thick. So it's not a huge difference, but if buying a "new" pad make sure to get the cobra one or you'll likely run into problems.

It is annoying too as GT pads are generally cheaper.

ProKiller

Reaction score
crap. i was mocking it up yesterday and it didn't seem like enough room with the pads/rotor and this just confirmed it. anybody want brand new HPS pads?

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Another option is the Big brake kits offered by Brembo.

My car with Brembo GT kit.
3287425447_fb30114b84_b.jpg

GTkit_4pis_1B19.jpg

Pros with this kit

massive 13.02 X 1.25 two piece rotors.

Very large Brembo F40 4 piston fixed caliper.

Goodrich steel braided lines.

Looks great.

Brake pads are easy to change.

[Cons]
very high price for the kit. list price is $3595
high price for replacment rotors. New Brembo rotor rings list for $650 each.
High price for brake rotor mounting hardware. $120 list price.
Brake caliper will not clear most factory wheels.
Brake rotor will not clear the factory tie rod ends.

Brembo GTR brake kit
brembo_gtr_slotted.jpg

Brembo-GT-R-Big-Brake-Kit-9.jpg

Brembo-GT-R-Big-Brake-Kit-4.jpg

pros
GT-R monobloc calipers machined entirely from billet with a nickel plated race finish to provide both the features and benefits of a racing brake system.
This includes improved stiffness and thermo-mechanical resistance which is critical in high-performance applications.

Billet 5-axis Machined, Aerospace Aluminum-alloy, Monobloc Caliper construction.

Ventilated Stainless Steel Insert, Recessed Twin Seal piston design material.
14 inch rotors
6 piston calipers

cons

cost list price for a 2001 mustang Brembo GTR brake kit is $8395!!!!:eek:

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Ouch, those are some high dollar kits. Not even the Mustang race cars I've seen have that expensive brakes on them. Maybe on a professional level, definitely not the SCCA/NASA grassroots cars. They sure are flashy!

My front Wilwood setup comes in at about a grand and is all the brake I'll ever need. Biggest reason I switched from stock PBR calipers is cost of pads, $100ish vs $200ish for a set of fronts. And the Wilwood pads have a lot more meat so they last longer.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Ouch, those are some high dollar kits. Not even the Mustang race cars I've seen have that expensive brakes on them. Maybe on a professional level, definitely not the SCCA/NASA grassroots cars. They sure are flashy!

My front Wilwood setup comes in at about a grand and is all the brake I'll ever need. Biggest reason I switched from stock PBR calipers is cost of pads, $100ish vs $200ish for a set of fronts. And the Wilwood pads have a lot more meat so they last longer.

Do you have pics of your fronts?

Magic

Reaction score
RichV any pics of your 13 inch Wilwood kit? Ive been checking out Revolution Brake's Wilwood kits. Also what replacement rotors do you use? Are they regular 13 inch Ford rotors?

Thanks.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Do you have pics of your fronts?

Sorry, missed this ...

For you and Magic:

Yes, the replacement rotors are standard 13" OEM Cobra rotors. You can go all out with a pair of 2 piece, but they are pricey.

Magic

Reaction score
Thanks Rich! Good to know no special rotors are needed with that Wilwood kit from Revolution. Its down to either those or the Brembo (M2300X) kit for next year...

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I struggled with that decision as well, I had options for the Brembo Cobra R calipers or a Wilwood kit. Reason I went with a Wilwood is 2 fold. 1 is the price and availability of brake pads, everyone has them in stock. You can get a set of pads for Wilwood Bridgebolt Calipers anywhere including the trailer at the track. 2nd is that if you shell a caliper, I can order one for under $150 from Jegs. The Brembo was not as easy to find, as a matter of fact, I could not find a single Brembo caliper anywhere, only in pairs.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Good information to know. A friend of mine had the Wilwood set up on his Mach1 however switched it back to the stock set up because he didn't like the excessive brake dust and did not like the wear on them after a 4,000 mile road rally.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Brake dust is just something I live with. I eat that shit! :)

That's all in the pad. A race pad, or a semi race pad will dust. And the harder you stop, the more dust you'll get. But you can get pads that dust less for any caliper, even the Wilwoods. Maybe you can get them cheap from your Mach1 buddy!!

Nightmare

Reaction score
Brake dust is just something I live with. I eat that shit! :)

That's all in the pad. A race pad, or a semi race pad will dust. And the harder you stop, the more dust you'll get. But you can get pads that dust less for any caliper, even the Wilwoods. Maybe you can get them cheap from your Mach1 buddy!!

I wish, he sold them in 2011 shortly after he got the car, then traded it in this year to complete his new 5.0 swap.....in the form of a Boss 302!

One thing that you left out of your write up, you cannot use the bullitt wheels if you go with this swap due to the offset. That is the reason why I went with the 01 Bullitt style cobra brakes (you just don't see them that much any more)

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Good info on the wheels.

I've never run Bullits, but I'm sure others may be.

BigBore96

Reaction score
I've been checking further into big brake kits as I no longer have my stock cobra brakes. The 4 piston wilwoods in brakemotive's kit are for a max size rotor of 13 inches. but brakemotive sells a 14 inch kit using the same calipers? It's only an inch difference but being no brake expert it makes me question it. Anyone ever run the 14 inch kit with success?

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I've been checking further into big brake kits as I no longer have my stock cobra brakes. The 4 piston wilwoods in brakemotive's kit are for a max size rotor of 13 inches. but brakemotive sells a 14 inch kit using the same calipers? It's only an inch difference but being no brake expert it makes me question it. Anyone ever run the 14 inch kit with success?

Brakes will run much cooler/less fade with the 14"

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
There's a 14" thread where Poxenham has developed a caliper kit for the 14" setup.

Now talking about fade, I doubt anyone has experienced fade on the street with a proper functioning brake system. All working components and a decent set of pads will never fade on the street. There's just no way to put enough stress and repeated abuse for even a set of 11" brakes to cook. I ran 11" GT brakes for many years on the race track in a Fox and at 3-3100 lbs race weight with brake coolers had zero issues with fade. Even tracks that are notoriously hard on brakes. Same setup on my 94 got a little fade the 1st time out, car was heavier, 3200, but I didn't have the brake coolers. Brakes would start to not bite as hard towards the end of each session.

My point is, brakes for function and brakes for bling require different components. But bigger brakes no matter what the function will feel like a new car. Just remember to balance the system so you get the most for the mods, don't skimp on pads, and since the tires actually stop you they need to be up for the job too.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
So from what I understand what I will need is: 2x calipers, mounting brackets, cobra rotors, ss lines and pads..

So:
Calipers L&R http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/120-11329/10002/-1?parentProductId=#moreDetails
Rotors Front http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/musta...t-front-only-94-2004-cobra-mach-1-bullit.html
Pads/ mounting/ lines http://store.revolutionbrake.com/14-0248.html

So for $740 shipped for everything I can have a big brake kit?? One that has 3in2 more piston area then the m-2300-x brembos per caliper??

The mounting kit from revolution brake is misleading in whether or not it comes with the pads and lines

If not the price would increase to approx $900 for the whole shabang.. which raises the question; which ss lines do you need for this kit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010