Front Control Arm Bushing Removal

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Over the winter I'm building up a set of stock control arms to swap onto the car. I've got Prothane poly bushings, shorter end links, and will be going with Steeda x2 ball joints. I've researched and couldn't find a whole lot of info on removing the stock front control arm bushings. I don't have the means to burn them out really. I've seen where people have drilled holes all around the bushing and was able to get it out that way. Any tips or advice on doing this?

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
All you have to do is pry the inner cage out with the bushing. I made the mistake of not realizing i could do it, so i started one with a blow torch and filled the whole shop with burning rubber smoke.

You can't reuse the cage with the prothane poly bushings, takes a few minutes for each.

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
All you have to do is pry the inner cage out with the bushing. I made the mistake of not realizing i could do it, so i started one with a blow torch and filled the whole shop with burning rubber smoke.

You can't reuse the cage with the prothane poly bushings, takes a few minutes for each.

What do you mean by inner cages? The sleeve the bolt goes through? These are what I bought, without the outer shells
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Front-Control-Arm-Urethane-Bushings-1996-01-GT-Std-P408.aspx

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Well the arms I had were non cobra arms I'm pretty sure. There is the arm, the outer cage, then the inner cage, then the bushing. Let me see if I can find a pic

Tha trap house.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
24e80b5d7f2a2aff563a71e4f74aeb3b.jpg

5f408a32581ab7aaba304162b269097a.jpg

That's the outer cage, picture a bushing inside that with another cage around it.

Tha trap house.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I used the drill bit method. Drilled a bunch of holes all the way around the bushing then you could use a saws-all or something to cut what the bit didn't get. Then I used a wire wheel on a drill to clean the left over rubber off of the metal sleeve. I'm pretty sure the bushings I had re-used the metal sleeve that the old bushing was in. I could be wrong though, it's been a few years since I did mine.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I also have used the drill bit method. It worked, but I also did break one bit so I would not recomend using your titanium nitride bits to do this

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Got the bushings most of the way out today. Used the drill method and took me about an hour to get all 4 out. I still need to figure out how to get the rest of the rubber out then they are off to get blasted
IMG_1406_zpsokh6iage.jpg

IMG_1408_zpsr8hh6owz.jpg

IMG_1410_zpsyta1wall.jpg

IMG_1411_zpscp1akqzx.jpg

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wire wheeled mine with the assisting of a propane torch. Stinks to high hell but gets it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it occurred to me that they would probably come out easier with the drill bit if after you first stick it in by spraying some WD40 down the drill bit. Seems like it would coat the inside of the bushing and make the rubber slide out 10x easier?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Problem is bushings pretty much glue themselves to the casing over time

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Wire wheel took care of it no problem, just needed a pretty small one to get inside the smaller hole. Spraying a little pb blasted in there also helped eat away the little amount left over after that and they cleaned up really well
IMG_1424_zps014lnieo.jpg

IMG_1427_zpsypub5qxr.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Problem is bushings pretty much glue themselves to the casing over time

Correct but after working the drill around it one time it is broke loose and the only thing holding it in then is the friction between the rubber and metal or the rubber on the metal against the rubber. I bet a little oil would go a long way to make it easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevBott

Members online