Functional side vents - 96+

shovel

Reaction score
I noticed something interesting.. we probably all know that 94-95 have functional side vents and 96-98 (and new edge) do not have functional side vents.

Yeah I know we could probably debate all day long how much actual function is there, I don't care. I'm calling it functional if it's made to pass air through it.

So my 94 has factory functional vents. I've taken apart a couple later SN95's which had the nonfunctional vents and the back end of the vent had a plastic cap over it to stop water getting into the cavity.

1716432469138.png

^ that is an example of a closed later-model SN95 pretend scoop.

Today I was disassembling the interior of my 96 to add sound deadener and I noticed signs of water intrusion so I opened up the vents and discovered they have the same gasket as the 94/95 in the back, just without the hole behind it. There's no plastic cap at the back of the vent. So water was just getting in during rain or car washes and had nowhere to go but drip down past the old dried out rubber gasket.

1716432229284.png
So I had a set of the louvers from another part-out and decided to install them along with a healthy bunch of RTV to substitute for fresh rubber gaskets.

1716432525531.jpeg
1716432556761.png

Before anyone tells me they're pointless and dumb etc... ok cool thanks for the tip.

Anyway I figured maybe somebody would find this interesting so there you go.

Last edited: