Good Buy or Rip-Off Thread

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea that was my old car and unless he has fuuk'd it up its worth 8-9k i'd say. never would i post such a douchebag ad mcglsr2 lol. he left out things and bullshitted about others.

Yah I really didn't think that was your ad - you use words so well (seriously) on here that I just couldn't bring myself to believe you had typed that up! :D

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

"With the change to the Mustang body for 1987, sales inched up slightly to 479 cars. 1988 saw the ASC/McLaren's sales more than double, selling over 1000 cars for the first time. Leather seats, wheel and shift knob, ASC only center console, premium sound system, 1" lowering sport springs, and 15x7 McLaren wheels with Gatorbacks were now all standard.With the optional ground effects package, the ASC/McLaren's sleek design was a marked contrast from the "boy racer" looks of the Mustang GT. Total 1988 production was 1015 cars, the peak of ASC/McLaren Mustang sales"

"The story may have been different if McLaren had put more than just the name on the car and had a hand in reengineering the engine and drivetrain. Final total for all seven years of production was 2678. This low production amount is the main reason that the ASC/McLaren is nearly unknown, being over shadowed by the rubber burning Saleens."

http://www.ascmclaren.org/WhatIsAnAscMcLaren.html

So yah, I get "nothing special" from that quote and link. Special because it's McLaren, but handling-wise nothing special (that couldn't be had via a trip to Maximum Motorsports and a Credit Card ;) )

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
So yah, I get "nothing special" from that quote and link. Special because it's McLaren, but handling-wise nothing special (that couldn't be had via a trip to Maximum Motorsports and a Credit Card ;) )

lol yupp

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Good buy or rip off?

750hp built/procharged 1996 Cobra.

No mileage listed.

Price: $11,000 US $13,469 Canadian 9,685 Euros

00606_fPJTRuejE0M_600x450.jpg

Up for sale or trade is my 96 Mustang Cobra I have over $60,000 in receipts invested into and that's not including the price of the car. Im only looking for $11k cash $15k trade value, partial trades accepted. There's no rust, it's never been in an accident or has ever had any damage of any kind. Yes it is street legal... the other Cobra Monaco race seat is out of the car because I just had it recovered with new padding and material.

00W0W_iqzXdFW4fPa_600x450.jpg

There's only 15k miles on the build, It has a fully built 04 Cobra terminator block, fully built dual over head cam B cobra heads with Crower stage 2 blower cams, D1SC intercooled procharger (supercharger) kit, 60lb injectors, maximum solid motor mounts, fluidyne radiator, maximum motorsports torque arm, maximum crossmember, maximum full length subfamily connectors, upgraded procharger intercooler, stage 4 clutch, arp everything, SCTX4 programmer, 6 point rollcage, 5 point harnesses, autometer guages, aem wideband, cobra Monaco racing seats, h&r springs, edlebrock control arms, maximum camber caster plates, Saleen front sway bar, maximum rear sway bar, Saleen strut tower brace, Bear cross drilled/slotted brake rotors, 373 gears, Saleen differential cover, BBK long tube headers, custom 3 inch exhaust, maximum Panhard bar, koni shocks, Flowmaster mufflers, 9mm lightning mas, Diablo maf extender, acufab throttle body, custom intake, quad cable, msd wired, Ford racing coil packs, magnuflux crank, moly rings, JE pistons, Manley H beam rods, Kenny bell boosta pump, 2 walbro 25 fuel pumps, acufab intake, light weight flywheel, Cobra R canton oil pan, 2007 R&D t-45 trans, b&m ripper short throw shifter, 17x9 real cobra wheels with nitto nt05 tires, high output alternator, mezier electric water pump, etc etc etc etc etc etc there's literally too much for me to take the time to go through everything and list it.

00b0b_6ZiLq85J6tR_600x450.jpg

The bad... which really isn't bad just time consuming for me. It needs new valve seals, I'm getting some blow by and it's cause the exhaust to smoke on the right side and I can send you a video for proof, I sold the old programmer when I got the new SCTX4 so the car needs to be tuned I do have a connection to get tuned for you for a really good deal if not free, it doesn't have ac (Previous owner removed it) when I bought it, it had fake Saleen front and rear bumper, I bought a gt front and a V6 rear because it only says mustang not mustang gt, and I'm having them painted to match the car. IT DOES RUN.

01212_519chQHQt7r_600x450.jpg

I'm interested in anything fun, Boats, quads, Dirt bikes, firearms, a rzr, sandrail, cars, trucks, campers, etc. Let me know what you have you never know what I might take. Text only or email. I'm willing to travel for the right deal.

00C0C_boKaG7lwyhZ_600x450.jpg

Url: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5053170336.html

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Yah I really didn't think that was your ad - you use words so well (seriously) on here that I just couldn't bring myself to believe you had typed that up! :D
lmao, you should meet the guy in person. he is about 5'5" and the cockiest little prick i've ever met....in my life hahaaa!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got some catching up to do! :D

95 Toyota Supra
Rip-Off, sort of. I mean, it's a rip-off, but the cars are getting so rare if you *really* want one I guess be prepared to get raped. According to the add, I'm not sure what you are getting since the guy is basically keeping everything. He's like "Here's the car...except you aren't really getting this car." Well, you are, for a lot more money. Honestly, if you take away all the crap he's keeping the car is probably worth $25K max (unless you just can't find any in your area). With all his crap, meh, maybe another $5K max. So I can see this going for $30K as a reasonable price. $40K is just ridiculous - but again, maybe not if this is the only car available. With the Supras it's usually a sellers market due to low supply and high "cool/car culture" factor. Which may hike up the price. Taken at face-value, I think this is a bit over-priced.

97 Rock Crawler
This is tough, as it is definitely a niche vehicle. My initial reaction to $15K is hell no. The problem is for these types of cars (race cars fit this category too) is that almost always more money is put into the car then the car is actually worth. Now, I don't know much about building rock crawlers, so I don't know if one could price the jeep stock and build it themselves (or have it built) for less money. I do know, that my Mustang track car, if I were to add up all the worth of the parts and tack it on to the price of the car, I could theoretically sell it for something like $6 or $7K. At least. The question is: would anyone really buy my car for that much? Assume someone wants to actually get in to racing, and they want to buy a car rather than build it. Would they be willing to buy my car, a 95 Mustang GT with rollbar, no rear seats, coilovers, etc. etc. for $7K? I think that would be a hard sell. And I would have a customer base of like 2 people. In the country. If neither of them wants to buy it, I'm not selling it. So this may actually be a fair price for a jeep Rock Crawler. To me, though, it seems a bit high.

68 Mustang
That's actually a pretty good price I think. Depending on the condition, they can go for more. I'd negotiate the price based on what shape the car is in, but that's certainly in the ballpark.

96 Cobra 750hp
Nah, too high. I would around $7K or so, maybe $8K max, in that neighborhood. That's great that it's Procharged and has 750 hp, but you never get back what you put on a car (at least not most cars, there are some very small exceptions). I fully believe he's got well over $6K of stuff in that car, if not more, so one would think he could get $11K for it. But people don't usually think that way. They say "it's a 96 Cobra." He says "yah, but look at all this stuff it's got!" And they would say "...yah, but it's a 96 Cobra."

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That Cobra does have a nice list of parts but unless you know what you are looking at and in the market for a weekend race car that is done, I don't think he gets 11k since the heads need to come off and no tune. I also have no interest in cars with cages/bars installed and I think Joe Public feels the same way so true value will never be had on that car.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
That Cobra does have a nice list of parts but unless you know what you are looking at and in the market for a weekend race car that is done, I don't think he gets 11k since the heads need to come off and no tune. I also have no interest in cars with cages/bars installed and I think Joe Public feels the same way so true value will never be had on that car.

& [MENTION=15705]mcglsr2[/MENTION]. Yes its a shame that the high dollar parts cars go for stock prices even with all the mods it would be a hard sell. Would have to be the right person. On both the jeep and the 96 cobra. Its clear how much work was involved yet that has no merit during sale for the average person.

Add new parts to enjoy not to sell

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Totally agree with you.

& mcglsr2. Yes its a shame that the high dollar parts cars go for stock prices even with all the mods it would be a hard sell. Would have to be the right person. On both the jeep and the 96 cobra. Its clear how much work was involved yet that has no merit during sale for the average person.

Add new parts to enjoy not to sell

Yah, unfortunately that's the case. The only way, on most cars, to really get close to getting your money back (you will probably never get all of it, much less make any) is to part the car out. Sell things individually and you will make more money off it. It's more work, takes longer, and ruins a (potentially) perfectly good car, so it's not a palatable option. But you will get more money for it.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
To all reading this that is not DropTopPony or mcglsr2. PM me if you wish to remain anonymous on your vote

Good Buy or Rip-off?

03 Mach 1 S/C (Cams?)

Price: $15,000 US $18,501 Canadian 13,299 Euros

Mileage: 56,200

00v0v_cKFUfwS0WM1_600x450.jpg

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Vortech Supercharged Low mileage accident free supercar. This car is loaded with lots of goodies, including Vortech V2 polished supercharger with intercooler, Cams, dual fuel pump kit, Baer Big brake kit, adjustable suspension, underdrive pulleys, battery relocated to trunk, JBL speakers,

01212_1k3g1PV1BHf_600x450.jpg

this car has over $15,000 in upgrades in this car. This is an an excellent price for this low mileage MACH 1. My price is $15,000

01111_hd34Q7Xrsnr_600x450.jpg

00S0S_9tIBgIlN4lB_600x450.jpg

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/5072623289.html

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Good Buy or Rip-Off?

1988 Saleen Roller

Price: $3,800 US $4,686 Canadian 3,370 Euros

Mileage: N/A

01313_iYfrNZkLbXf_600x450.jpg

I have a 1988 Saleen mustang #178 The factory color was red with gray inter, Has no motor or trans. Has flofits , momo steering wheel.Saleen 170 MPH Speedo . saleen door panels . Saleen parts missing is wheels. shift knob.shock towel brace. radio, No trades

01616_l5jbTQT3r85_600x450.jpg

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/5081623866.html

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
03 Mach 1
Priced about $2 to $3K too high I think. Assuming the seller is willing to negotiate he will sell this car. $15K is bit too much though, certainly over the higher end of what this car is worth. It looks like a lot has been done to it (and I assume done well) but that, as stated many times, doesn't translate into "I can charge more for this car." This person's customers will end up having to be enthusiasts who know what a Mach 1 is and appreciate what's been done to it. Normal people will see this as an overpriced Mach 1, assuming they are even in the market for a Mach 1. It's awesome that the miles are so low, but if I was seriously considering paying $15K for this car, I could - for a couple thou more - get a nice used 2010 Mustang GT - 7 years newer (which is what most normal people would do I think). The only market is people specifically wanting a Mach 1 - they may want it bad enough to spend that much, but if they don't...you have no market. Certainly not priced to sell.

88 Saleen Roller
This is a tough one. It's a cool car and all...except that it's missing most of what makes it a car. $3.8K for a roller is a ton of money for a car that will need a ton of work. Based off the way it looks and what is missing, expect to dump another $5 to $7K into it (especially if you start sourcing Saleen parts). So you are probably looking at close to $10K all said and done to get this car back on the street running and looking nice. That's a little high for what an 88 GT might go for - but if you put all Saleen stuff back on then this might actually be in the ballpark. So that much for the roller was actually reasonable. If you end up having to spend more than $7K to get it back, then you heading towards the high side. So this *might* be a good deal specifically for someone trying to build a Saleen (and how many people are there that want to build a 88 Saleen? - I honestly don't know, could be tons). If someone wants a roller to have fun building a car, or turn it into a race car, then this is way too much money.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The only way (with very few exceptions) to really make any money off cars is to "flip" them. Buy a run-down car for super cheap that has been neglected but has almost everything intact. Spend the time and money on cleaning it up, maybe some paint re-finishing, replacing some broken body panels, replacing the tacky and tasteless mods the PO did, and then hopefully sell it for more than you spent on bringing it back to life. The more work you have to do, and the more that needs to be done, the less you will probably make on the flip. The exceptions are cars that are uber popular like the old muscle cars and such - you can spend a good amount of money on them restoring them and still have a good chance of making that money back. It's all about the market. Restoring a Supra or RX-7 might be harder - there's a market for it but it's usually young-ish guys that don't necessarily have the coin to drop on those kinds of cars. You have to hope for some rich kid to come along and buy it because of the culture and status of the car. It does happen. But I bet there are more older, financially stable guys out there looking for muscle cars. Of course this will change over time as cars (and people) age.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
The only way (with very few exceptions) to really make any money off cars is to "flip" them. Buy a run-down car for super cheap that has been neglected but has almost everything intact. Spend the time and money on cleaning it up, maybe some paint re-finishing, replacing some broken body panels, replacing the tacky and tasteless mods the PO did, and then hopefully sell it for more than you spent on bringing it back to life. The more work you have to do, and the more that needs to be done, the less you will probably make on the flip. The exceptions are cars that are uber popular like the old muscle cars and such - you can spend a good amount of money on them restoring them and still have a good chance of making that money back. It's all about the market. Restoring a Supra or RX-7 might be harder - there's a market for it but it's usually young-ish guys that don't necessarily have the coin to drop on those kinds of cars. You have to hope for some rich kid to come along and buy it because of the culture and status of the car. It does happen. But I bet there are more older, financially stable guys out there looking for muscle cars. Of course this will change over time as cars (and people) age.

Exactly, i was thinking in the near future of picking up some late 60's early 70's car and giving it some paint and trying to make a little. ALMOST bought this 70 Challenger 383. Too much rust underneath to make a deal. :/ Actually i think i still have a pic...ill dig it up.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A Saleen nut may buy that roller especially since Fox Saleens are not in abundance. Most of those Saleen nuts are rich Californians so that price is good for them, buy it sight unseen and ship it to Cali.

The rest of us see a Fox roller which we can find for $500.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online