Good set of 4.6 cams..

voidfinger

Reaction score
thats all cool, I'm curious about cams for n2o. Is there anything about the cam that is different? I'm keeping my auto and thinking of some custom cams. I want it stalled but i'm not liking the drivabilty of some of the cars that my friends let me drive with the stalls really high. I drove one with a 3200 stall... T/A and i liked it. but i drove a stang with a 3500 or 3600 and it just was to much... with exaust it sounds like your reving up to everyone... :eek:

voidfinger

Reaction score
Johnny Langton said:
QTRHRSE said:
^^ yea I def. undertsand that... i revved my 274's to about 6600

and the converter... HAHA i was on the stock converter still.

Never had a chance to get a stall in her... then i parked it to buy my 05 and then tore it down for my 4-valve swap.

Woulda ran much better on about a 3k stall...
You'd need approx a 4200 rpm converter for those 274's. The stock converter is 2400-2600,3000 would be like upgrading from a 2.73 to a 3.08 gear in the rear.
The 268's needed approx 4000 rpm,and mine was a 3500 rpm at the time-way too tight of a converter to launch right.
JL

How can you tell if your stock converter is in the lower side of that number or the higher? if in the lower then a 3k stall would be a pretty nice upgrade ?

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
How can you tell if your stock converter is in the lower side of that number or the higher? if in the lower then a 3k stall would be a pretty nice upgrade ?
All of the converters are built identical. It's the torque output of the engine that determines the actual stall speed of the converter. A stock engine will stall the converter approx 2400 rpms. A modded engine will be slightly higher...EXCEPT those with longer duration cams-they make less torque than stock at the lower RPM-that will stall the converter lower than stock,and the car will have a lazy launch. A 3000 rpm stall speed converter is useless with a modular-a stock NPI 4.6L likes about a 3200 rpm stall speed,a stock PI 4.6L likes about a 3500 rpm converter.
JL

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
^ How can you not love this guy? He makes things so that even I understand them.

voidfinger

Reaction score
Johnny Langton said:
voidfinger said:
All of the converters are built identical. It's the torque output of the engine that determines the actual stall speed of the converter. A stock engine will stall the converter approx 2400 rpms. A modded engine will be slightly higher...EXCEPT those with longer duration cams-they make less torque than stock at the lower RPM-that will stall the converter lower than stock,and the car will have a lazy launch. A 3000 rpm stall speed converter is useless with a modular-a stock NPI 4.6L likes about a 3200 rpm stall speed,a stock PI 4.6L likes about a 3500 rpm converter.
JL

Its just that i drove a 01 gt with a 3400 stall and the motor was stock and it had gears and it just wasn't what i would call street friendly... i don't know

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Its just that i drove a 01 gt with a 3400 stall and the motor was stock and it had gears and it just wasn't what i would call street friendly... i don't know
Then,bluntly put-it was a POS converter that was molested internally to get a 3400 rpm stall speed,or a hack tuned it...or possibly-both.
My car has a 4000-4200 converter,and my wife even drives it anywhere,in any weather. It's not bad at all.
Proper converter build and tuning is a must. That's why you can't just buy a converter from anybody and expect it to be right-you get what you pay for.
JL

voidfinger

Reaction score
well who makes good ones? i've been told dirtydog makes some good ones. He was on Corral, and thats where i heard about him. I just want something streetable and not to wild i guess... i'm not really keen on spend like 700/900 dollars for a converter either ya know.

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
well who makes good ones? i've been told dirtydog makes some good ones. He was on Corral, and thats where i heard about him. I just want something streetable and not to wild i guess... i'm not really keen on spend like 700/900 dollars for a converter either ya know.
You're gonna have to make you own decision on that one.
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1300905&page=0&fpart=1
warpedconverter.jpg

I won't touch one of those.
JL

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
those shots are with the 1.25" spacers?
first one is, didnt know you wanted shots of the spacers, but they stick out a little bit from the rear fender, you can see how sunken in it is with the split spokes compared to the cobra rims

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Johnny Langton said:
voidfinger said:
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1300905&page=0&fpart=1
warpedconverter.jpg

JL

Gotta love TC thream drama....
is that a BC Converter in that pic?

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Johnny Langton said:
voidfinger said:

JL

Gotta love TC thream drama....
is that a BC Converter in that pic?
No,that's a dirtydog converter.
Anything look odd about it...?
JL

voidfinger

Reaction score
Man that sucks, i've usually only heard good about them.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To my eye i don't notice anything bad but i don't really know what i'm supposed to be looking for :)

Whats wrong with it?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
oh nevermind....its split :D
I couldn't tell because i had to scroll the picture side to side.
What caused that?

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
What caused that?
Not split-it's warped.Notice the upper section of the converter sits lower on one side than the other side of the lower section.Weak construction is my suspicion,but no matter-the thrust bearing won't last but a couple of minutes like that.
JL

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So what or who's TC's are BC using now? I read that thread from the link above and it doesn't look like he and Alan are friendly anymore. I was planning on ordering one from BC this Spring.

voidfinger

Reaction score
so could you guys post up some links to some other good converter companies and tell me some issues with some. I've heard that "PI" converters had bad bands or something? i don't know, is that the only bad thing you've heard about dirty dogs converters?

voidfinger

Reaction score
Johnny Langton said:
DropTopPony said:
What caused that?
Not split-it's warped.Notice the upper section of the converter sits lower on one side than the other side of the lower section.Weak construction is my suspicion,but no matter-the thrust bearing won't last but a couple of minutes like that.
JL

Yea i see that now... wonder if it was like that when they put it in?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
AaRoN said:
justinschmidt1 said:
AaRoN said:
Pennywise2 said:
Depends on what your goals are with the car and where you want the powerband
to be.
Custom grind from MPH sounds good give Tim a call.

Goals are to squeeze out as much N/A power as I can. All motor ;D

Dont do it with a 4.6
:hammer:

I'm not expecting 800hp. I just want an all motor car. And I'm curious to see how much can be pushed out of it without a poweer adder.

Low 300's
beyond that is major work.
the Mod responds best to revs and boost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online