Got a 01 center console for my 98, need to paint it.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
From what research I've done what I need to do to make this look OEM is:

-Scrub it really good with a scotchbrite pad and soapy water
-Let everything air dry completely
-Disassemble as much as I can to paint separately
-Hit it all with adhesion promoter
-3 light mists of Krylon Fusion or Rustoleum semi gloss black
-1 final coat of black
-Let dry completely and then hit it with clearcoat (does it need to be cleared for the interior?)

Is there anything else I'm missing? I want this to look factory so you can't even tell it apart from the rest of the interior without really looking hard if you can at all.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's OEM color matched spray paint you can buy from LMR. They have two types, one made for the vinyl type stuff like your dash pad, and one made for plastics like the console. You might want to use the plastic one on the console, and the vinyl one on the arm rest.

Give me a sec and I'll dig up a link as an example.

Edit: here's the link at LMR. It shows the vinyl paint they have and the colors and the lacquer (for plastic) that they have. And videos on how to use/apply them. I haven't used these yet but plan to when I work on my interior. I don't have first hand experience with how well it works, but LMR is a Good Stuff. I'm sure they'll answer any questions you might have.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I've heard the LMR stuff does not properly match, very recent threads I've read say stay away from it but I'll do some more reading. I did read in the past that the SEM Landau Black laquer based interior paint was the one to get but just covering all my bases. I bought all black interior pieces from a 95 to swap from grey/black and it looks awesome but just a little faded. If this console turns out like I want it to and holds up I may be pulling the entire interior for a freshening.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh that's sad to hear. I was planning on using those for my interior. Although, I guess in my case I'm re-doing the whole thing so it doesn't really matter as much to me if it doesn't match existing - as long as it matches itself if you know what I mean. That's still sad to hear though.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Post 5 on here had some good info. Going to use the SEM, going to nail it with vinyl/plastic SEM prep and coat the living shit out of it. Like 5 coats at least. More research tells me to not use clear or it'll be all shiny which I do not want.

Like I said if this turns out and does not chip after a season then the entire interior is coming out, door cups/bents/bezels are all going atlantic blue and the rest is fresh black. New headliner from LRS too. Carpet and upholstery are new already.

chris91

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with SEM products. Used them quite a bit and never had a problem.

sn95 bullitt

Reaction score
I used a satin black for plastic Rustoleum spray paint from home depot for mine. Looks good matches pretty close. Lmr did not match at all.

2012-07-29_11-39-58_123_zps002dc35d.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I used a satin black for plastic Rustoleum spray paint from home depot for mine. Looks good matches pretty close. Lmr did not match at all.

2012-07-29_11-39-58_123_zps002dc35d.jpg

That does look pretty good. What did you to do prep this and how has it held up? I'm transferring my black armrest from my console so I won't have to worry about that paint rubbing off but I don't want it to scratch or flake. I hear with the SEM stuff if you use a good adhesion promoter and nail it with 5 or 6 coats of SEM and then let it cure for a week it'll be like a rock.

sn95 bullitt

Reaction score
I'm a very impatient person. I don't do much prep. sanded it lightly, washed and hand dryer. I put about five coats and put it in the next day. Just didn't put any drinks in the cup holders for a few days. I had it in the car for a year when I sold it. Still looked just as good as the day I put it inn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online