Greg's 96 Cobra 1.5 Kenne Bell Build Thread

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
Nice thread. This car used to belong to a member on here, I forget his name.
Yes I purchased it from Venomous96Cobra; I have nothing good to say about that guy. Notice how he hasn't shown his face online since the car was sold?

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
I say keep it crystal white.
I will most likely keep it crystal white so I can cheat and not paint the engine bay and other "hidden" areas. Otherwise I may just sell it as is. I never keep the same car for very long and Ive been wanting to try a corvette next. I just hate to sell a car that I have this much time and money in and runs so well. I am excited to get it up and running this fall/winter in the cool air and enjoy it.

ProKiller

Reaction score
that moroso overflow tank was a partial trade for the T1 wing i bought off him. nice to see the car getting some use and the proper parts.

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
that moroso overflow tank was a partial trade for the T1 wing i bought off him. nice to see the car getting some use and the proper parts.
Cool. I knew he sold the wing before he sold the car to me. This car has quite a history. Duh09's seats, your overflow tank, kb setup from a guy on svtp...

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
what are the problems with it? you sound disappointed in post #21...
Nothing at all is wrong with it now mechanically.

I have had to fix quite a few significant issues with the car, and the previous seller-venomous96cobra, lied to my face about some of the mods on the car. He also told me over the phone it ran perfectly, in truth it barely held a idle and it would stall out(remember I drove from Atlanta to Orlando to check it out!),and the "tune" it had on it when I got it was complete garbage. After I bought it I was contacted by a member on SVTP who had sold the complete meth/blower/xcal tuner setup to 96venomous(who I bought the car from) and he admitted that the tune wasn't finished, it was only meant to get the car running to get it to the dyno. Fortunately venomous96cobra mistakenly left a underdrive pulley on the crankshaft which limited the blower to 5psi which is what kept the engine from harm. He also conveniently "lost" the xcal when I showed up to buy the car and said he gave me his word that he would find it and ship it to me, which did NOT happen despite many phone calls/txts from me reminding him nicely to do so.

Again, this has been a great learning experience for me and I now had the car running flawlessly right up until my t45 syncros went bad. As I pulled the transmission I realized I had a stock flywheel, not the aftermarket aluminum one I was told it had. Now I'm in the process of having my t45 rebuild by the t45 source, I already installed a new Fidanza aluminum flywheel, as well as Ram HDX clutch, and can't wait to drive it again. I just get mad when someone lies to me, but atleast I now have the issues sorted out.

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
the way i see it, if he told you all that, and that it was good to go, he put your life in danger in addition to ripping you off. i mean, it's not like you were just driving up the street. that was quite a drive to take that thing. glad you're alright, and treating the car how it should be treated.

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
^
Hmmm tough break man. Sounds like it could have been handled better...
Yeah I hate how things went down. I normally would keep my mouth shut, but since it was a former forum member who blatantly mis-advertised the car on this forum I have no problems saying openly what went down. I just don't see any way he could have been unaware of the issues. Maybe he paid someone to install the flywheel and they didn't install it leaving him unawares, but I'm positive he knew about the stalling/idle issues, the bad tune, and he never sent me the xcal like he said he would. I was shocked because when I met Greg(venomous96cobra) he seemed like a nice, honest guy. I know his wife was having health issues, so maybe he just got stuck in a bad situation and needed to unload the car fast.

I'm just glad I got things sorted out now and no permanent damage to the car. I've moved on and the car runs good now, I just would have rather used the money I spent on fixing the issues on a fresh paintjob or some killer wheels or saved the$$ in the bank lol!

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
Small update 10/4/12: Just got my UPS tracking number from the t45 source, I should be receiving my Street Heat t45 Monday. I also have been in contact with Zak from t45 source and due to the unfortunate issue I had of my original rebuilt t45 he sent me jamming in Reverse, he especially built mine to have a syncronized Reverse gear now. In addition it has a new piece he developed to prevent the Reverse jamming that commonly affects t45s. The basic Street Heat rebuild includes:
The Slammer Billet 3-4 Shift Fork
  • SureShift 3-4 Shift Plate
  • Carbon Fiber Lined Synchronizers
  • New Bearings
  • Billet Steel Synchro Inserts
  • New Shift Fork Pads
  • New Syncrhonizer Springs
I decided with my fairly low horsepower to not opt for the upgraded 26 spline input shaft. I have already put in a Ram HDX clutch and Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Cant wait to drive my car again! Hopefully I can get to a 1/4 mile track before they close for the season, but I might be too late this year.

cobra head

Reaction score
sweet brother glad everything is working out for you and te snake

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I'm looking at a used 1.5 kb set up, and this is some good info to have.
Thanks and you are welcome! These kbs are pretty rare nowadays, but they can be extremely fun and rewarding if setup correctly. If you have any specific questions I'm glad to try to help answer them, Ive done a ton of research about kenne belling a 4v B head cobra.

Lzr96Snake

Reaction score
Thanks and you are welcome! These kbs are pretty rare nowadays, but they can be extremely fun and rewarding if setup correctly. If you have any specific questions I'm glad to try to help answer them, Ive done a ton of research about kenne belling a 4v B head cobra.

Thanks man. I found what's supposed to be a complete kit, minus the kb chip for $1500, so I'm thinking about buying it. He' got a new set of 42lbs injectors that go with it, but I don't think he has the underdrive crank pulley (if the kit came with one?) anyways, I'm sure I'll have questions for you, lol!

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
10/13/12 -Got quite a lot done today:installed a new battery, installed my t45 from the t45 source(besides the standard Street Heat level rebuild, mine has a syncronized Reverse gear because it had a issue with getting jammed), got the exhaust/driveshaft/starter re-installed too.
New Duralast Gold battery
gregst45installfinale2002.jpg

t45 installed
gregst45installfinale2003.jpg

While my driveshaft has been uninstalled for the past 2 months, my rear differential leaked a ton of fluid where the driveshaft connects. It has had a slow leak from the rear since I got it, so I decided to try to re-seal the diff cover. I pulled the cover, cleaned it up and re-sealed it with some black gasket maker. Its gonna cure overnight then I can put in some Royal Purple 75w90with friction modifier. Hopefully this cures the leak.
Cover all cleaned up

gregt45installfinale038.jpg

gregst45installfinale2009.jpg

gregt45installfinale031.jpg

re-installed
gregst45installfinale2008.jpg

I also was able to verify that the car has FMS 4.10 gears in it, when I bought the car I was told it had 3.73s, but after a while I suspected it must have 4.1s. I was very happy to see that the rear gears appear to be in great shape, I expected to find lots of metal shavings, but I was pleasantly surprised to find none.

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
I also threw on some stickers from companies that I've had good luck with. Kinda ricer, but I think for now I like the way it looks and represents what I've done to the car. And yes my paint is that bad in a few areas! Gonna save the paint for last.
gregst45installfinale2011.jpg

Also added a 03 cobra svt decal, because my original one was deteriorating.

gregt45installfinale024.jpg

Also got a pic of me installing the new battery today
IMG_6648.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online