Hard to engage gears.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Is the pennzoil synchromesh just as good or better than royal purple?
it’s better priced.

joe65

Reaction score
Just put a new quadrant, cable and adjuster on mine, made all the difference. There wasn't any adjustment available without it. The plastic quadrant is not great either if worn for adjustment.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Just put a new quadrant, cable and adjuster on mine, made all the difference. There wasn't any adjustment available without it. The plastic quadrant is not great either if worn for adjustment.
Which one did you get?

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
So after some research I found out that the shifter the car came with is actually a SR performance economy shifter. I adjusted the plugs on top of the return springs and it helped some. It feels better. Shifting is smoother but not quite where I want it. I’ll be saving money to get me a new quadrant and cable with firewall adjuster soon.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good idea! Alot of times with out knowing the quality of the parts you are fighting with, its just best to start over with new quality parts. Good luck

07GtS197

Reaction score
Skip the cable unless you want a spare. I think you’ll be good with a double hook quadrant and firewall adjuster. I had one on my 02 from upr. It worked really well and was less than 50 bucks. If I go back to a cable setup on my 00 I’ll go that route again.

Also while you’re down there you might as well do the spring mod to extend the life of the tob.

https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/clutch-cable-freeplay-mod-ldc-mod-do-it-yourself.55023/

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Skip the cable unless you want a spare. I think you’ll be good with a double hook quadrant and firewall adjuster. I had one on my 02 from upr. It worked really well and was less than 50 bucks. If I go back to a cable setup on my 00 I’ll go that route again.

Also while you’re down there you might as well do the spring mod to extend the life of the tob.

https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/clutch-cable-freeplay-mod-ldc-mod-do-it-yourself.55023/
I inspected the cable and it looks like it has a kink down by the clutch. I tried the mod but the spring I bought would not go over the cable. I will need a wider spring.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I inspected the cable and it looks like it has a kink down by the clutch. I tried the mod but the spring I bought would not go over the cable. I will need a wider spring.
Gotcha. Not a bad idea to change the cable but stay away from any non oem cables.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ford part or the maximum motorsports is the next runner up for longevity. I know a lot of folks have had issues with aftermarket cables, that being said, I have been daily driving mine with a UPR cable for a little over a year and no issues. Probably 50 1/4 mile passes on that cable too.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I installed new cable and quadrant about a month ago and just yesterday I changed the trans oil to Valvoline synchromesh. Feels way better I’m happy with the results, thanks everyone!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online