Harness bar. Strange design. Thoughts?

r3dn3ck

Reaction score

I have my own ideas about good and bad but I'm interested to see what y'all come up with. I know about the Corbeau offering.

I checked a different site and it says 79-14 mustang are compatible.

OP
OP
R

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Nada? The pivoting action that (it looks like anyway) the brackets that go to the upper seatbelt mounting point are capable of doesn't seem like the greatest of all possible ideas but it is mounted in double shear. I guess that could be welded in place once installed so it'd have to break the bolt or the eyelets in once case, it'd have to break the bolt or tear the eyelets out and break the weld and break the bolt in the other case. The few of them that I've seen installed have a distinct/excessive down and back angle to the main hoop when installed. Looks goofy and I can't help but wonder about the compressive loads that would be applied to the struts turning into bending loads if any of the upper mounts even stretched or bent. I suppose one could easily just fab up longer strut arms but that doesn't solve the problem that it creates, the shoulder straps need to be mounted below the shoulder far enough to get the proper 10-15 degrees of down angle on the belt. Maybe just go with the Corbeau. Starting to consider that that might in fact be the best option.

GreyGhost

Reaction score

I have my own ideas about good and bad but I'm interested to see what y'all come up with. I know about the Corbeau offering.

I checked a different site and it says 79-14 mustang are compatible.
I have a harness bar/chassis stiffener in my '03 Roush. The bar attaches to the upper seat belt mounts and the stiffener has an adjustable tube that is attached from the harness bar down to the lower seat belt mount on the floor next to the seat. My suspension tuner recommended that I torque the stiffener tubes to 20-25 ft lbs to get an adequate amount of additional rigidity to the chassis. The harness bar and tubes along with the floor form a rigid rectangle stiffening the center portion of the chassis. The picture of the stiffening tube (3) is looking from the harness bar down to where it attaches to the lower seat belt mount. Not sure of the manufacturer as it came with the car when I bought it. I put a Sparco label on it to match the belts.

Attachments

• Harness Bar (1).JPG
    Harness Bar (1).JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Harness Bar (2).JPG
    Harness Bar (2).JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Harness Bar (3).JPG
    Harness Bar (3).JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Harness Bar (4).JPG
    Harness Bar (4).JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Harness Bar (5).JPG
    Harness Bar (5).JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
R

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Looks like a Corbeau bar. Thanks much for the tips!

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I had a Corbeau bar in my car for a while but sold it to go back to a stock interior. No complaints out of it though. It fit just like the one above with the adjustable bar that went down to the lower seat belt anchor location. I liked mine while I had it but figured I would be a lot safer with real seat belts in the event something happened. If I get real serious about things down the road I’ll go with a roll bar from MM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.