Header install when heads are off.

98 StormTrooper

Reaction score
I understand that you have to pull off the k member when installing headers. My question is, I'm doing a PI swap so I'm going to have the heads off and the stock manifolds off. Is it possible to install headers then without pulling the k member or can you still not get to the bolts? And is there a difference in the easy of install between long tubes and shorties?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you asking if you can slide the heads into place with the headers installed on them??

If you managed to do that, I would consider you a God among men.

Now, you would probably be able to do that if you unbolted the mounts and raised the motor, but I get that you do not want to do that.

Most people argue shorties are easier to install, but both are an enormous pain and long tubes net you more up top.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Easier while heads are off? Yes!
Like g36 monkey stated its still a pain, but with the heads out of the way, slipping them in will be easier. Next mount the heads and then bolt the headers to the heads.

Most headers require removing the steering shaft. Do all that while the heads are off. If your starter has any age to it, now be a good time to replace new.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Neverenuff, I stole your pic! Perfect example as why headers are a pain and why steering shaft needs to be removed.

0b0c167189d883fa38dbd5bc20bdaa96.jpg

Neverenuff took advice from an absolute genius that swapping the steering shaft for this really nice aftermarket one allows more room, ease of install and direct steering responce at the wheel.

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neverenuff, I stole your pic! Perfect example as why headers are a pain and why steering shaft needs to be removed.

0b0c167189d883fa38dbd5bc20bdaa96.jpg

Neverenuff took advice from an absolute genius that swapping the steering shaft for this really nice aftermarket one allows more room, ease of install and direct steering responce at the wheel.

I had to install this steering shaft. The LTs kept melting the plastic insert on the factory shaft giving me 10 degrees or so of steering wheel play. It was dicey.

Only downside to the solid shaft is that it transmits way more vibration into the cabin.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I had to install this steering shaft. The LTs kept melting the plastic insert on the factory shaft giving me 10 degrees or so of steering wheel play. It was dicey.

Only downside to the solid shaft is that it transmits way more vibration into the cabin.

I don't notice any more vibration but the way the car steers is way better than with the stock shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online