Headlight nob acting strang

White_4.6

Reaction score
So my headlight nob just randomly started acting really strange. I pull it out and only the headlights come on, not the running lights, the brake lights, or the instrument cluster. Now if I pull just about half way everything works properly but if I keep pulling it goes back to just headlights. This just randomly started and I do not think it's the fuse, unless I checked the wrong one. Anyone know what the problem is? (1998 GT)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the only way to be sure you checked the right fuse and that no others are blown is to do it the hard/fast way. Get on your back and pull/inspect all 8-10 fuses and then check the box under the hood as well. I agree it doesn't sound like a fuse but the only way to be sure is to take the 2 mins it takes to check them all but it takes much less time then trying to find the right fuse.

More then likely its your multifunction switch but it could be a melted harness as well. If the fuses are good take the gauge shroud off and see what the switch and harness looks like.

OP
OP
W

White_4.6

Reaction score
the only way to be sure you checked the right fuse and that no others are blown is to do it the hard/fast way. Get on your back and pull/inspect all 8-10 fuses and then check the box under the hood as well. I agree it doesn't sound like a fuse but the only way to be sure is to take the 2 mins it takes to check them all but it takes much less time then trying to find the right fuse.

More then likely its your multifunction switch but it could be a melted harness as well. If the fuses are good take the gauge shroud off and see what the switch and harness looks like.

Do you know where I can buy a new harness?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
funny enough I might be yer dude for that. I am deleting my headlight switch and doing something different. I didn't think about it till now but I could cut my switch and harness off and wire directly into it. But take your dash apart first and see what it its as it could be the switch, could be the harness, could be both or possibly something we missed and none of them.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if its something you need I can move that part of the project up to "next in line when the garage is warm enough" and cut them out for you. Looks like it should be warm enough tomorrow, I am looking forward to not freezing inside of it.

OP
OP
W

White_4.6

Reaction score
Okay I took a look and it's harness, you can take your time with it I'm in no rush lol, thanks man.

NeilGT

Reaction score
So my headlight nob just randomly started acting really strange. I pull it out and only the headlights come on, not the running lights, the brake lights, or the instrument cluster. Now if I pull just about half way everything works properly but if I keep pulling it goes back to just headlights. This just randomly started and I do not think it's the fuse, unless I checked the wrong one. Anyone know what the problem is? (1998 GT)

OK, I know this is an old thread, but I've seen this in several places and never the right answer. This exact problem happened on my wife's 2002 GT convertible. I found the blown fuse and replaced it, turned on the lights and it blew again! Replaced the headlight switch, and blew the same fuse AGAIN! Now, I realize, I'm stupid. But eventually, if you hit me in the head enough times, I'll duck. So I bought a Ford shop manual and started going through the entire wiring harness looking for the short. The good news is that the wiring harness on these things is really pretty bullet proof. The bad news is that there's only a little bit of crinkle-wrap and a curved piece of plastic preventing you from crimping the tail-light wiring together if you stuff the trunk and slam the lid.

So, after removing the crinkle-wrap from the trunk lid wiring harness and finding a melted mess of copper and PVC inside, I ran to Home Depot and bought a box of butt-splice crimp connectors. After a couple of quality hours spent with the splices, a Klein crimp tool, some NAPA auto-grade heat shrink tubing, and a heat gun, I wrapped the whole thing in new heavy-duty crinkle wrap and some 3M automotive-grade vinyl electrical tape, and called it done.

I then called my wife out to the carport, pointed at the repair, and told her that if she can break it again we have to talk about getting her some anger-management classes.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
OK, I know this is an old thread, but I've seen this in several places and never the right answer. This exact problem happened on my wife's 2002 GT convertible. I found the blown fuse and replaced it, turned on the lights and it blew again! Replaced the headlight switch, and blew the same fuse AGAIN! Now, I realize, I'm stupid. But eventually, if you hit me in the head enough times, I'll duck. So I bought a Ford shop manual and started going through the entire wiring harness looking for the short. The good news is that the wiring harness on these things is really pretty bullet proof. The bad news is that there's only a little bit of crinkle-wrap and a curved piece of plastic preventing you from crimping the tail-light wiring together if you stuff the trunk and slam the lid.

So, after removing the crinkle-wrap from the trunk lid wiring harness and finding a melted mess of copper and PVC inside, I ran to Home Depot and bought a box of butt-splice crimp connectors. After a couple of quality hours spent with the splices, a Klein crimp tool, some NAPA auto-grade heat shrink tubing, and a heat gun, I wrapped the whole thing in new heavy-duty crinkle wrap and some 3M automotive-grade vinyl electrical tape, and called it done.

I then called my wife out to the carport, pointed at the repair, and told her that if she can break it again we have to talk about getting her some anger-management classes.
Good to hear that you found it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online