Help before I smash something.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sub info:
[h=1]JL Audio CS110-WXv2[/h][h=3]Sealed BassWedge™ enclosure with one 10" WXv2 subwoofer[/h]
when I originally had the system done, they put a fuse holder on the fusebox, with a circular inline fuse.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The amp wiring to me looks like the inputs are solely on the right and the out put uses 2ch. A left and right bridged to the sub.

chris91

Reaction score
Sub and Amp are compatible. Sub is 4ohm single voice coil and the amp is 2 & 4 ohm acceptable. You have the positive going to positive and ground to ground right? I think you have a bad amp personally. You know anyone with a known good amp you could borrow to test?

Edit - ^^^ He's right. You have the RCA'S hooked up wrong. You want the RCA'S going to the front input top and bottom.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sub and Amp are compatible. Sub is 4ohm single voice coil and the amp is 2 & 4 ohm acceptable. You have the positive going to positive and ground to ground right? I think you have a bad amp personally. You know anyone with a known good amp you could borrow to test?

Edit - ^^^ He's right. You have the RCA'S hooked up wrong. You want the RCA'S going to the front input top and bottom.

Yeah, pos to pos, ground to ground etc. the rca's are the purple wires right?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Moved the rca's. Sub still won't turn on. the amp has power, its lit up, and there is power at the ground. I used a test light to check that

chris91

Reaction score
Yep RCA'S are the purple ones. You have power going to the ground???

Try this. Move your speaker wires to the rear output (bottom set, just under where they are now) And move over the RCA'S to the right one spot. Also make sure the amp mode switch is on Bridged as well.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yep RCA'S are the purple ones. You have power going to the ground???

Try this. Move your speaker wires to the rear output (bottom set, just under where they are now) And move over the RCA'S to the right one spot. Also make sure the amp mode switch is on Bridged as well.

I'll try and do that later if I get the chance. Thanks man

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Double check all your ground connections. When I had my Harley it wouldn't start one day. I put a multimeter on it and as soon as I hit the start button I would read 12v on the ground. I took all the grounds off, cleaned them, re-installed and everything worked perfectly.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
There's power at the ground wire going into the amp, when the car is on.

That's exactly what my bike was doing. I would definitely take the grounds off the chassis and make sure they are clean, or even move them to a new location and make sure they are tight.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
That's exactly what my bike was doing. I would definitely take the grounds off the chassis and make sure they are clean, or even move them to a new location and make sure they are tight.

Did that, no change. But isn't the ground wire supposed to have power when the car is on? Or else how would the amp turn on? I'm not too savvy with car stereos.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Did that, no change. But isn't the ground wire supposed to have power when the car is on? Or else how would the amp turn on? I'm not too savvy with car stereos.

I know voltage has to make its loop from power to ground but you shouldn't be reading voltage on the ground. That kind of make me think the amp is bad.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I know voltage has to make its loop from power to ground but you shouldn't be reading voltage on the ground. That kind of make me think the amp is bad.

All I have is a test light, no volt meter. My dad has an amp around somewhere. I'll try hooking that up and see what happens.

chris91

Reaction score
The remote wire is what turns the amp on.

If you need a new amp I have a nice Alpine MRD300 Monoblock Amp I'd sell ya. $90 shipped.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the only thing I can come up with is that you have a pretty sweet 4 channel amp bridged to run a single sub. This is probably causing a problem on the power supply in the amp as they are normally set up to run either all 4 channels or for 2 if its bridged. Some amps are ok for this and some are not and beside that you are just not using power on the amp that you could be using to drive 2 other speakers. I would try hooking up your rear speakers to it(depending on the model if you give me the model of them I will let you know) and see if that allows the power supply to be balanced better as well as give you better sound. all you would need to do for sure is to run wires from the amp to the speakers which are right there and depending on how your system is set up and the amp you might not even need to run another rca set. Some amps will have the ability with a switch to simple sample the rca signal on another channel and use it to drive the other speakers. Now if your using a sub output from your deck though it will not work. I would just run a temp set from the deck over the carpet back to the amp to test it out and see if it works and you like the sound.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the test light should not light up on ground unless you have the end that normally clips to ground connected to a positive connection. For example if you hooked the alligator clip to the amps constant and then touched the ground it will light up but that does not mean there Is + voltage on the ground.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
^ Wow, how did I miss that. I don't know why, but I totally looked over the test light deal. Good catch Scott!

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
the only thing I can come up with is that you have a pretty sweet 4 channel amp bridged to run a single sub. This is probably causing a problem on the power supply in the amp as they are normally set up to run either all 4 channels or for 2 if its bridged. Some amps are ok for this and some are not and beside that you are just not using power on the amp that you could be using to drive 2 other speakers. I would try hooking up your rear speakers to it(depending on the model if you give me the model of them I will let you know) and see if that allows the power supply to be balanced better as well as give you better sound. all you would need to do for sure is to run wires from the amp to the speakers which are right there and depending on how your system is set up and the amp you might not even need to run another rca set. Some amps will have the ability with a switch to simple sample the rca signal on another channel and use it to drive the other speakers. Now if your using a sub output from your deck though it will not work. I would just run a temp set from the deck over the carpet back to the amp to test it out and see if it works and you like the sound.

Yeah it's a nice amp, got it for a steal lol. I have these speakers, listed below.
[h=1]Rockford Fosgate Punch P1572[/h][h=3]5"x7" 2-way car speakers[/h]
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1572/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1572.html?tp=105

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001