Help me with my motor build guys.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Well I just got out of high school, im working full time now, making 11 an hour. I live with my parents so I have absolutely no money draw backs besides the gf. Alright guys im looking to be aroudn 350hp or so at the flywheel. I want this car to be maryland emissions legal.

Here was my thoughts so far. A trick flow intake with 24lb injectors, afr 165 cc headers, an after market cam I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I SHOULD GO WITH! I want the rumble, but I dont wont it to be too outrageous. Other then that what else should I do? I heard something about I should put arp bolts in it or something. Like what sorta bolts? push rods? Anyway what else do I need to do to the car to keep it from doing all the horrible stuff I hear about when someone touches a motor in our cars. Ive heard the computer will not cooperate. Will I be able to get it tuned then problem solved? Or should I buy a different computer entirely? Help me guys!

95PGTTech

Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
Well I just got out of high school, im working full time now, making 11 an hour. I live with my parents so I have absolutely no money draw backs besides the gf. Alright guys im looking to be aroudn 350hp or so at the flywheel. I want this car to be maryland emissions legal.

Here was my thoughts so far. A trick flow intake with 24lb injectors, afr 165 cc headers, an after market cam I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I SHOULD GO WITH! I want the rumble, but I dont wont it to be too outrageous. Other then that what else should I do? I heard something about I should put arp bolts in it or something. Like what sorta bolts? push rods? Anyway what else do I need to do to the car to keep it from doing all the horrible stuff I hear about when someone touches a motor in our cars. Ive heard the computer will not cooperate. Will I be able to get it tuned then problem solved? Or should I buy a different computer entirely? Help me guys!

e303 cam, stock pushrods you should be fine. arp head studs and billet oil pump gears are cheap insurance.

Reaction score
in the case of selecting a cam i would highly recommend calling Iskanderian Cams they make some of the best cams around in my opinion. Call them and ask them reccomend the best cam for your setup. Also your push rods and valve springs will need to be canged with the cam, and the best way to choose them would be to ask the company from where you got your cam. Because if you go with some other company they may not match up right which may cause coil bind, which would send a push rod through a rocker arm and you dont want that. other things i would reccomend would be getting some gears I have 3.73 and I love them they make it accelerate like a champ. also some upper and lower rear control arms will dramatically improve your 60 foot times. I would rather go with an edelbrock intake I think they are a better intake, but that is me. An Adjustable fuel pressure regulator is key when building a motor, Aeromotive makes a good one. if you need any more help feel free to PM me.

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Well the car is not completely stock

Mods- 4:10 or 3:73 gears, not sure they were on the car when I bought it, short throw shifter, mac cat-back. bbk cai, bbk 70mm tb, aluminum pullies and I also have a pair of shorty equal lengths sitting in a box.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
Well the car is not completely stock

Mods- 4:10 or 3:73 gears, not sure they were on the car when I bought it, short throw shifter, mac cat-back. bbk cai, bbk 70mm tb, aluminum pullies and I also have a pair of shorty equal lengths sitting in a box.

do yourself a favor and pick up some LT's...worth the PITA....

tommybunz

Reaction score
I HAVE A SET OF COMP CAMS PUSHRODS IF YOU NEED THEM AND YOU SHOULD GO WITH E OR F SERIES CAM FROM FRPP. ACT 6 PUCK CLUTCH DISC(JUST THE DISC ALONE USE YOUR STOCK PRESSURE PLATE).

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
i was told that trickflow states on their website that the above listed combo makes 350hp, but that is also on a 87-92 block with the
factory forged pistons as apposed to our bastard cast stuff. all i know is a guy i know with a 89 gt with tfs package, T56 6 speed and 3.55
gears with slicks was running high 12's, and that was with bad fuel issues..... it is a good deal, so i would go with that imo

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Well can someone link me to a nice set of forged pistons and the price please. I appreciate all your help!

slow96mystic

Reaction score
for a naturally aspirated motor it doesn't matter whether the pistons are forged or not, at least as far as power production is concerned. Trick Flow says 350 HP, but that's at the flywheel. Take 10%-15% from the 350 HP claim to account for drivetrain losses and you'll have a reasonable guesstimate of what the Rear Wheel Horse Power (RWHP) should be.

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
well its a possibility that in the FAR future I might be charged or turbo-d but id wouldnt run more then 4 pounds

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Also guys, what about the tuning? What size injectors should I get? What brand should I get? I need to know these things because this motor build could happen sooner then I think!

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
I'm in a similar buildup situation as you, and am collecting parts weekly under the guidence of a local shop. www.mperacing.com

The TrickFlow kit makes things easy and has proven itself to be very stout, although you can piece your own combo together (thats what I'm doing.)

I'd grab a set of Twisted wedge heads. They're cheaper than 165's, have bigger intake valves, and are an awsome head that will work well with a mild combo, yet will support forced induction or more CI's later down the road no problem. 1:7 rockers could be a good idea too, but will depend on what cam you intend to get.

Ford's alphabet cams are ok, very outdated, but work just fine. If your willing to spend the coin, look into an AFM cams (Anderson Ford Motorsports). They are the balls, and will get you the power you want.

With solid Head/Cam/Intake 30lb injectors are a good idea so you wont run outa fuel. Also, you'll obviously need a diff mass air meter. PMAS has a nice Velocity setup, but is kind of expensive. You can just get flanged meter caled for 30's that'll fit in the stock location if you don't wanna spend the $ on the Velocity (thats prob what I'm gona do).

Thats some of the things I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck, have fun!

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
30lb? Isnt that a little big? I was thinking 24lbs. You have to get a different mass air meter to run bigger injectors? Can you link me please?

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
It depends on your setup. Like I said, if you're running a big H/C/I setup you'll need the fuel.

Yes, you NEED a new MAF for different injectors. You'll notice when you look through a catolog they are specific for 19lb, 24, lb, 30 lb...etc. www.50resto.com probably has a bunch. Look into Pro-M or PMAS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Staff online

Members online