Here to learn a little more

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm here to find weak points of the SN95 chassis for road course racing and show progress as I take this journey to try and work towards professional racing... Starting with this poor beat down Mustang I'm picking up in a couple of weeks to give it a new beginning

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im not experience enough, but we have others here that are. Hang on, some one will chime in

Welcome to the forums.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you start at the front end and slowly work your way to the rear, you’ve discovered everything wrong with the SN95 for road course duty.

The best advice I can give is to start out with new tires, new brakes/fluid, a helmet and go learn to drive what you have. Don’t get wrapped up in spending your way to victory. You’ll wind up with a money pit you don’t know how to utilize properly. (Ask me how I know..) Once you get better at what you’re doing behind the wheel you’ll start to realize the weak points of your ride and will spend money properly.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
First off welcome
There are a ton mods out there for your car
Just finding the right combos
That's the key
Every one here has a little bit of a twist to
As you read some of the builds or forums
There is a lot of good info
These guys have good knowledge here

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And here this whole time I thought our cars just went straight!!!!! [emoji1787]

Learn it as you go as white said. Throwing money at stuff your not sure about yet won’t get you to where you want it to be.

Feel free to start a build thread to track your progress. Feel free to ask questions. We will help as much as a collective group can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Whip1a5h

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
I'm planning on using the car for Champ Car endurance racing so the most I'll do for the first time out for upgrades is tires, gears, cobra brakes (with dot4 fluid), suspension maintenance (bushings, springs, and shocks), and new exhaust

I'm going to also rebuild the diff and the trans as well as get a new long block for the car because it has 220k, burns a little oil, and just needs more time than it's worth to try and save the engine

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I'm going to also rebuild the diff and the trans as well as get a new long block for the car because it has 220k, burns a little oil, and just needs more time than it's worth to try and save the engine

It could be worth the effort to save the old long block and rebuild it as a spare. Fresh bearings, rings, seals and it could be good to go.

OP
OP
Whip1a5h

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
It could be worth the effort to save the old long block and rebuild it as a spare. Fresh bearings, rings, seals and it could be good to go.

That's a possibility. I won't just toss the engine to the scrap yard, It's going to depend on the actual condition of the engine itself though after it gets pulled and opened up

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
That's a possibility. I won't just toss the engine to the scrap yard, It's going to depend on the actual condition of the engine itself though after it gets pulled and opened up

Those engines are famous for not wearing out unless they’re severely abused and neglected. Don’t be surprised if you still see the factory cross hatch marks in the cylinder bores.

Addicted

Reaction score
Welcome man. You have a great starting platform to work with. Forgive me if I missed it, but what year SN you got? This is a great place to learn different things.

OP
OP
Whip1a5h

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
Welcome man. You have a great starting platform to work with. Forgive me if I missed it, but what year SN you got? This is a great place to learn different things.

I'm working with a 1996 chassis

Those engines are famous for not wearing out unless they’re severely abused and neglected. Don’t be surprised if you still see the factory cross hatch marks in the cylinder bores.

Really they're that good?

Might need some new gaskets and bearings then to have a second engine

Addicted

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the 94-98 SN, but I do like the 99-04's also. Since you are going to be going through the twisties in a '96, I would suggest sub-frame connectors first off, and I would also weld them in. Always remember, we can make half the stuff that most others buy. A total bushing kit all the way through everything. Get everything tight, track it, then you will be able to go with a certain control arm, different braces, ect...

Addicted

Reaction score
Really they're that good?

Might need some new gaskets and bearings then to have a second engine[/QUOTE]
You would be surprised at how good they are, look how long the police cars had them, I recently used my 85K mile engine as a mock up assembled, and the cross hatch was still very visible. If I was you, I would invest in every type of dial gauge, feeler gauge, and this alone can save you $.

OP
OP
Whip1a5h

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
You would be surprised at how good they are, look how long the police cars had them, I recently used my 85K mile engine as a mock up assembled, and the cross hatch was still very visible. If I was you, I would invest in every type of dial gauge, feeler gauge, and this alone can save you $.

I'm concerned I may find it very neglected (the title was dated in October 2018)

Addicted

Reaction score
I'm concerned I may find it very neglected (the title was dated in October 2018)
Do a leakdown on the cylinders, I don't get wrapped up in mileage because it's no a true indication of how the car really is. For all we know its the guides and seals making it smoke.

OP
OP
Whip1a5h

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
Do a leakdown on the cylinders, I don't get wrapped up in mileage because it's no a true indication of how the car really is. For all we know its the guides and seals making it smoke.

It doesn't smoke... It burns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.