hey Tennessee. I'm running the dragons tail on 10-22

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If your close, come on out.
318 turns in 11 miles.
Meeting at BWW in Alcoa Tn. at 10:30-11:00am, lunch, run the dragon to NC and Fontana Dam, then back.
we may also make some other stops for photo ops.

JStang98

Reaction score
Awesome road, if I was at home in tn and not working in nc id take you up on this offer but maybe next time

OP
OP
CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Maybe next time.
the other forum I'm on runs it at least twice a year. But October is the best time because of the fall colors
I should have gave more notice.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
58 people and counting dead on the dragons tail this year is what i think i heard the number is.............but id still do it!!!! lol

OP
OP
CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
really?
never heard that before. It doesn't surprise me though.
1 of the guys in the group said the cops were crawling all over the mountain last weekend when the corvette club was there. But we didn't see any at all..
Awesome trip, We also rode across the ridge of US 321 and cked out scenic views of Alcoa Tn. and some of TVA's work.
We only had 5 Mustangs. 2 95's, 2 new edges, and a 2012 6er. and bringing up the rear was the sponser of the trip in a Mazda b-2000.
I'l try to get some pics up later today. Wish I had a GoPro.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I want to run the tail pretty bad. Once I get one of the stangs running good, I'm going to get some friends and go drive it.

OP
OP
CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
it's a great time.
The road is smooth and banked nice in the corners too.
the next time I go I'll post up more notice.
Hopefully a couple of the guys will sign up un here. they didn't even know about this forum. Can you imagine?

JStang98

Reaction score
Its really fun on a bike. Found this the other day from a nother forum, interesting read for those who drive the road...

We are continuing to develop a project to place signs advising of the truck restrictions in Graham and Swain Counties on US 129. The sign copy will include the word “NO”, and will include the color red which indicates a prohibition, as well as black wording on white background to indicate that the message is a restriction, not just a warning.

I believe you have correctly quoted the existing truck restrictions, and I think I can explain them to you. “No through trucks” means that “local” trucks are not bound by the restriction. It means that a truck of the restricted description, in this case a tractor pulling a trailer over 30 feet can be on the restricted route, if its origin or destination is along the restricted route. However, “No trucks” means that even local trucks are not allowed on this route, in this case if they are pulling a trailer that is longer than 48 feet. This restriction was intended to make it illegal to drive STAA-dimensioned trucks (53’ trailers) north of the Cheoah Dam on US 129. None of this makes it illegal to drive a STAA truck from Topton to or through Robbinsville all the way to the Cheoah Dam; however, if it passed the Dam it would be illegal. It is not our intention to make this illegal, but we are considering making it illegal for trucks pulling trailers longer than 30 feet to travel beyond the Cheoah Dam on in to Tennessee.

Again, thank you for your information, and we will continue to keep you advised of our progress in having truck restriction signs placed. Quote: Some progress. We have a funded project to post regulatory signs, and the ordinance has been changed to restrict any trucks pulling trailers 30 feet or longer from being on US 129 between the Cheoah Dam and the Tennessee State Line.

We still need to design the signs, determine where signs need to be placed, and place the signs. We also need to coordinate with TennDOT to let them know what we are doing and ask if they would reciprocate or at least post signs advising of our restriction. I have been advised that the ordinance has been changed on the website and is therefore already in effect.

ALL trucks over 30 ft trailers are NOW banned through NC.

OP
OP
CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The time it takes varies, obviously on how fast you run, and mostly when you catch someone when they pull over to let you and your group go by.I never really timed it. Probably 30-45 minutes each way.We usually drive from Tenn. into N.C. then down to Fontana Dam, hang out for an hour or so to stretch our legs and let the drivetraincool down, then head back.We went over the Foothills Parkway (US 321) and took in some of the scenic views as well.I'll have some pics up shortly. Sorry, none of the Dragon itself. I was a little busy and I didn't have a passenger this time.

OP
OP
CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
THE RIDES
OCT091.jpg
OCT090.jpg
OCT089.jpg
OCT088.jpg
OCT087.jpg