Hood Insulator - Keep it off?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I took the hood insulator off of my car because I needed just a tad more clearance for my new coolant expansion tank. (It sticks up a little further than the OEM one and it was rubbing.) Anyway, I know the insulator is supposed to help the engine warm up faster when it's cold out... which I don't give a shit about because I only drive the car when it's nice. I also read somewhere that if a fire ever started under the hood, the push-pins holding it up would melt, the insulator would drop down and "blanket" the motor to try and smother a fire out.... is that true and has anybody else ever heard of that? Is there really any other benefits to leaving the insulator on?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OFF!

I've heard the hood insulator thing with the fire too. Once it gets to that point though do you think its going to save much? :p

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've had mine off for a while now. If my engine does catch on fire, my extinguisher is sure as hell going to do alot more than a hood blanket.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was considering cutting the underside of mine with a dremal and making the heat extractor functional. (I saw a write up somewhere IICR.)

The paint on the underside of the hood looks horrible. I can tell they didn't waste any time on it knowing it was going to be covered up...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ive heard that too. but i didnt beleive it. lol.

(myth busters!!!)

anyways, the most important reason to keep it is to keep your hood paint from spider-webbing from the heat of the engine.

im rocking without one, OJ doesnt have one.... whatever. lol.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I hated not being able to run mine because of my old intake, it would hold me at WOT. I am looking forward to having one on now, because, as you said, they don't really take time to make it look nice under there.

chris91

Reaction score
Take some rattle can matched paint and paint that bish. Not like it has to turn out perfect! :D

Id leave it off and if you can somehow vent it do that.

ORRRR Just buy a Terminator hood!! :)

EDIT- SHIT I was treed!!

joekd

Reaction score
I removed the hood insulator on both my GT's, as mentioned it did look like crap under there so I pulled the hood off, did a little scuff and paint so it looks all pretty again

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find me a can of E8 paint and just spray the underside.
I'll look into making that heat extractor functional and maybe get some pictures.

Thanks.

chris91

Reaction score
Hit up your local automotive paint store. Most can put any color you want in a aerosol can.

sweet94GT

Reaction score
I'm interested how how to make the heat extractors functional, as my heat thing is sitting in the garage instead of on the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk like a boss

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
personally I'd got down to a store like princess auto (not sure if you guys have that) and get a cheap gun and do that instead of a rattle can.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested how how to make the heat extractors functional, as my heat thing is sitting in the garage instead of on the car

This is what I was talking about. I'd like to possibly take a dremel tool and cut the area underneath and make that vent functional. I saw it done somewhere, but I forget where I saw it.

hoodheatextractor1.jpg

hoodheatextractor2.jpg

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've heard the whole blanketing a fire thing but I'm not sure I believe it. My R hood doesn't have one and if you were going to prevent a fire on something I'd expect the R to have one. Also I really can't see the heat from the engine making the paint bubble, automotive paint is pretty tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.