Hopefully a dumb question

01yellercobra

Reaction score
The new engine for my son's 98 should be here today. We went ahead and picked up a PI engine out of a 2003. Do I need to swap timing covers? I looked at the passenger side coil bracket and it looks like it'll bolt up fine. It'll just use two bolts instead of three. I haven't looked at the driver side set up though. I'm hoping I'll be able to bolt the bracket onto the PI timing cover as I don't want to deal with swapping timing covers.

Last edited:

Silver95bird

Reaction score
The only difference I know of is some have different idler pulley setups. Everyone jumps on the timing cover swap to solve this, but I've always wondered why they don't just get the proper belt for the other application? Sure seems easier than tearing half the engine apart.

OP
OP
01yellercobra

01yellercobra

Reaction score
The only difference I know of is some have different idler pulley setups. Everyone jumps on the timing cover swap to solve this, but I've always wondered why they don't just get the proper belt for the other application? Sure seems easier than tearing half the engine apart.

As far as I can tell the replacement engine is coming with all the front dress including a belt. So my hope is that the coil brackets will bolt on and I'll be able to use the belt it comes with. I guess the only possible issue would be the belt routing on the driver side because I remember on my single bolt set up there's a long stretch over there. That stretch could hit the big bracket.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Driver side is the same from one cover to another. It has to come from the alternator to the power steering pump. As long as your coil brackets bolt on, it should be just fine. Did the 03 engine come out of a mustang? If it did, you’ll be ok but if it didn’t, you’ll need to swap the oil pan and pickup tube.

OP
OP
01yellercobra

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Driver side is the same from one cover to another. It has to come from the alternator to the power steering pump. As long as your coil brackets bolt on, it should be just fine. Did the 03 engine come out of a mustang? If it did, you’ll be ok but if it didn’t, you’ll need to swap the oil pan and pickup tube.
Yeah. It's out of an 03.

OP
OP
01yellercobra

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Ok, I saw you said 03 but didn’t know if it was an 03 mustang, crown Vic, f150, etc.

From a mustang, it should swap right over, completely sealed.
Sorry. Not all of my thoughts were making it out of my thumbs. Yes, it's out of an 03 Mustang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online