How did you guys get good with wrenching on mustangs

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of reading and taking shit apart. I started with the really small easy stuff like changing tires etc as a kid and worked up to harder stuff as I learned how to use the tools. And tools are important.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Google and Sn95forums..... @duffdaddy txcobra and a few other mod guys have made some amazing posts that got me through my first engine build. Now I have a healthy relationship with a local ford legend and a a friend who was a super senior master ford mechanic I met in Afghanistan.

The D3V

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think my real knowledge base came from growing up in the 80's where we all had BMX bikes and were always braking parts at the track and fixing them.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I did lots of shit wrong and broke lots of shit before I learned WTF I was doing.

...and I still mess stuff up once in a while.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
I have my dad to thank for all my knowledge in cars. We use to work on friend's mustangs and work on his 86 mustang (his other pride and joy) lol, and him being a tow truck driver I used to ride with him every summer and pick his brain on what he knows. He's been messing with 5.0's and nitrous since he was 13. Once I got my first car (Sn95 5.0 convertible), I absolutely hated it because it wasn't a fox like his so after trading and selling I got my own 86 mustang for 1000 bucks and did the motor swap with the help of my cousin and got it done in a week. After doing a motor swap its all easy after that just time consuming.

And reading the hanlees or Chilton books is cool but mustangs are the most easiest cars to work on. Just have to remember to be organized and remember that If one man can do, means that you can do it also with enough research and common sense.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Never really worked on a stang before. But I learned most of my stuff from my pops. Hell at 14/15 I was helping him do an engine build. My skills came to a head when I did an auto to stick swap in my jeep after flooding the auto trans wheeling. But if I did another engine build I'd probably be picking up some new specialty tools and reading a lot more manuals since the last time I touched the internals of a motor was so long ago

RichV

Reaction score
I just youtube everything.

Didn't even think about all the technology nowadays.

This is an excellent resource. Granted not everything on the NET is true, it definitely helps to at least know a little about the job before you dive in. Us old farts on the site didn't have that growing up.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Didn't even think about all the technology nowadays.

This is an excellent resource. Granted not everything on the NET is true, it definitely helps to at least know a little about the job before you dive in. Us old farts on the site didn't have that growing up.

Yeah that would have been nice.

I still remember the times having a Go Kart as a kid and it wasn't fast enough. Next thing you know. I'm reading up in magazines. Bc that's all we had back then. I used to ask my mom and dad to drop me off at the little mom and pop shop with the old friend they knew that worked on small engines. Then it was.hmm well if I do this I can do this and this. It all starts young.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
I used to be terrified to do anything on my own. Met my neighbor who was just getting into Mustangs and is more mechanically talented than me but still no pro. Together we have a more confidence than mechanical knowledge and that helped me try more. Did my clutch swap on jack stands and I was nervous the whole time.But, it worked out and that gave me a little more confidence. Last thing I did was swap steering columns by myself. Not a huge job, but I NEVER would have done it before on my own.

ProKiller

Reaction score
always had a predilection towards mechanical things. Just slowly morphed into cars as my dad was a big car guy. Came time for me to get my own muscle car and landed on the mustang because of the price and the body style even though my dad was pushing me towards a f-body. he helped a lot in the beginning and still helps when i'm doing certain things, but otherwise, it's just getting in there and figuring out what to do. have a chilton that is pretty much falling apart from thumbing through it so much. that and the forums. it's a mustang, somebody else has already done what you want to do so the information on how is out there ready to be found. only thing i haven't done now is bottom end work, internally tranny work, and body stuff. all in due time though i'm sure. i think the only that scares me at this point is the transmission. i looked at the t-3550 paperwork and it's very intimidating.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
How did you guys get good with wrenchng on mustangs

I got into it because it's a solution to my mom always nagging me to go outside and my family has a record of wrenching on cars. Of course my father didn't get that bug so he wasn't much help on my first project car. So the 5.0 has been 100% on me. I still have ALOT to learn. But I've learned enough to where all the older kids local to me are always asking me for my help on their cars.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

redriderjf87

Reaction score
I primarily learn by doing. I try to read / research things as much as possible, but I always have questions in the back of my mind until I actually get into it and then things start to make more sense. Primary example is I just finished installing lowering springs/shocks, cc plates, bump steer and x2's. Relatively simple for most experienced wrenchers, but lets just say before I started I didn't know what a picklefork was. Now, not only I know how my suspension goes together and have a car with proper ride height, but I also learned that the picklefork is the most versatile " oh s*** " tool in the garage.

eqmdef8

Reaction score
When I was 14 my buddy had a volvo station wagon. The suspension had to be replaced. His dad bought him the parts and said he could pay for them to get put on or he could do it for free. Since I rode around all the time and never paid for gas I said I would do it for me. Once I started I realized that cars aren't that difficult. It helps that I have a strong mechanical understanding. I never had anyone to teach me what I was doing, mostly just winging it.
It helps to know a few tips though.
ALWAYS 2x everything is tight, secure and in the right place.
When working on an engine, always check torque specs and clearances.
When working on brakes and suspension/drive train stuff. When you finish TEST ride the vechile. That doesn't mean run out and do burnouts, fly around at 90mph. It means go out and do some 20-0 stops, if all seems good go to 35 or 40-0 stops. Take the car back and recheck for leaks of fluids, no loose bolts, etc.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
man sometimes I wish my dad were into cars and could have taught me.... I say "sometimes" because he is a nuclear physicist that collects stamps. That means I know where the Geiger counter is and how to use it, and what dishes in our house are radioactive(true story him and mom collect original fiestaware) and I am set to inherit enough postage stamps to live like an ex president with free postage for life. It also means that he knows only slightly more about cars then my mother. I have a couple of friends that know enough to help but otherwise I try not to get in over my head.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
I was being taught as early as 6. By 13, my old man cut me loose and I did my first HCI on a 5.0 by myself. From there I've done my own stuff since. The only way you'll learn is if you do it and try. I would suggest that any sort of modular build be along side someone who's done it before. As tolerances on these motors are nothing to get off by the slightest.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
My family has always been to poor to be able to just go but new when it breaks or take it too a shop. I'm bless and fortunately I have an amazing father who amazes me daily with his 3D capable mind and he teaches me things and I teach him some things as well.

Ever since I've been old enough to walk I have been going to dirt track races with my uncle and helping him build his modified street cars and b-hobby cars. It starts from handing someone a tool and becoming familiar to what tools are all the way too how to change a set of cylinder heads or degree a camshaft.

I don't have the luxury of fancy lifts not even a garage or a roof to keep me out of the weather , but I have a lot of tools and the will to stick it out and try .

I've evolved from that 5 year old kid trying to figure out what tool someone was referring too , Into a 19 year man that's held jobs for Valvoline as an certified Automotive Technician and whom family members call upon to fix there vehicles .

Best way to learn is find an local shade tree mechanic that isn't gonna mind you helping them and lending a hand and willing to show you some things and go help them , for me on hands experience helps the best for when I read something I lack self confidence until I actually do it or see it done once myself firsthand .

Don't be scared just because you messed up once. There are major mechanics who make mistakes everyday and I make mistakes and I still make them but as long as you learn from them and next time you do that task you will say ok I have to remember to watch out for this cause I remember last time and find tips and tricks to help yourself .

Dive in there and have fun .

Good luck God Bless you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online