How Much Power can you get out of a NA 4.6 2v?

VooDoo95Cobra

Reaction score
Just like the title says. I want to know how much power you can get out of a 2v 4.6 Naturally Aspirated! No turbo, no supercharger, No Nitrous. Build the motor any way you want... any heads any cams any rotating assembly... ford block NA are the only limitations... i say 700hp is an obtainable number.. what do you guys think?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Just like the title says. I want to know how much power you can get out of a 2v 4.6 Naturally Aspirated! No turbo, no supercharger, No Nitrous. Build the motor any way you want... any heads any cams any rotating assembly... ford block NA are the only limitations... i say 700hp is an obtainable number.. what do you guys think?

700? are you high man??? Factory stock motors which are the top of the line with some limitations but still na are just a touch over 400.... Porting, higher CR, different cam profiles you may squeeze 500+ depending on bore and stroke. It wont be cheap. A factory stock long block built by the best is well over 10k

MadStang

Reaction score
I'm actually doing that right now. keeping it a 4.6 the most you could possibly ever see out of one is around 500hp give or take.

The best setup you could possibly run:

8-bolt cast crank
5.0 Coyote Rods
JE Lightweight pistons

That's the most lightweight rotating assembly you can use and obviously lighter = more hp freed up

14:1 compression is around as much as you can get with flat tops and decking the heads/block (which is what I have done)

TFS Heads, with some MHS Stage 7 Cams which are meant for 8500+rpm shift points, throw some jesel roller rockers at it

Logan 2v Intake Manifold

JLT Intake

electric water pump

ASP Underdrive pullies

Fidanza 10lb aluminum flywheel

FRPP aluminum driveshaft

etc. etc.

at that point you're looking at $20k+ and a car that's not able to be driven on the street....

MadStang

Reaction score
350-400 without spending an outrageous amount of money

even then you'd be spending an outrageous amount of money...

Most people will not ever see north of 350rwhp on there 2v's N/A. for one, most won't ever swap in an aftermarket block just to make more power N/A so they'll be stuck with the low CR of 9.x:1 and without the extra compression there's no hope to see north of 350rwhp. Secondly, Heads are a requirement to get there, and the easiest way to get there is TFS, but not many people will pay $2k for those heads....

on average most will see 300-320rwhp on a street driveable car with lightly ported heads, cams, etc. 350rwhp+ is when everything needs to be balanced, blueprinted, and thought through... ask me how I know.

EDIT: by the way these N/A 2v threads are always my favorite on forums, gets me really pumped to see what I can get out of mine =D

MadStang

Reaction score
This car probably would have saw north of 400whp had he gone all out on compression ratio... silly fossil fuels keeping compression low =P

[video=youtube;8NyFKdsGm4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NyFKdsGm4s[/video]

393rwhp/398rwtq

OP
OP
VooDoo95Cobra

VooDoo95Cobra

Reaction score
So what about a coast high 5.1 rotating assembly high compression, tfs heads, custom cams and the best intake you can buy? of course fuel and ign systems to keep up? why is it so hard to make high hp numbers NA out of the 4.6? SBF's can easily bulid WAY more power for WAY cheaper.. wtf? Im dumb when it comes to the modulars so i am just curious.

MadStang

Reaction score
So what about a coast high 5.1 rotating assembly high compression, tfs heads, custom cams and the best intake you can buy? of course fuel and ign systems to keep up? why is it so hard to make high hp numbers NA out of the 4.6? SBF's can easily bulid WAY more power for WAY cheaper.. wtf? Im dumb when it comes to the modulars so i am just curious.

how high compression? It's difficult to make numbers out of the 4.6 due to it's small displacement. SBF range from 302-400+ cubes depending on bore/stroke size. our cars don't gain too much power from bore and stroke. Our motors are high revving fiends as well, so to get more N/A hp out of them, you have to spin the piss out of them.

OP
OP
VooDoo95Cobra

VooDoo95Cobra

Reaction score
not really looking at set numbers for the compression just anything really.. I was just wondering what the power potential of a NA 4.6 could be.. NA being the ONLY limitation..

MadStang

Reaction score
not really looking at set numbers for the compression just anything really.. I was just wondering what the power potential of a NA 4.6 could be.. NA being the ONLY limitation..

gotcha yeah, you need to go to extreme lengths to get any kind of power from a 4.6 N/A. My goal is 350rwhp N/A and I'm already $12k deep into my build and my motor currently is just a shortblock. That being said, 350rwhp is my bare minimum I'm demanding out of it, everything else is free horsepower to me. =]

e85 is definitely the way to go to get the most out of it my short block with the Modular Head Shop Stage 3 heads I ordered are a static CR of 14:1. It's about a 3% increase of overall horsepower per point and from right now, my current block is 8.9:1 so average about a 15% increase just from compression, not to mention the ridiculous timing I can run and everything else...

MadStang

Reaction score
;]

teksid_008.jpg

OP
OP
VooDoo95Cobra

VooDoo95Cobra

Reaction score
So the only way to see those big numbers from the 4.6 2v is boost or juice... hmmm.. thats upsetting i thought they had a better power potential than that.. i have just under $4k into my 302/331 and with a tune i know ill be licking 400.. cant go much past that because of the GT40's..

MadStang

Reaction score
So the only way to see those big numbers from the 4.6 2v is boost or juice... hmmm.. thats upsetting i thought they had a better power potential than that.. i have just under $4k into my 302/331 and with a tune i know ill be licking 400.. cant go much past that because of the GT40's..

pretty much. but I'm trying to be a trendsetter and stay away from the easy way out with modulars. My signature used to have a great quote by a modular engine builder who said it just right.

"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papitto

Raffaelli

Reaction score
Damn.

I know your building a purpose built motor MadStang,

But dumping 12g's and hoping for 350.....dont know what to say.

I want all out on my toyota cylinder head, 2.4L single cam 8 valve long stroke truck motor. Spent a thousand bucks only to learn not to do that again. 1/10th of a second faster.

Live and learn though

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's so true though. His car is going to be wicked when its done, and something about highrevving v8's is just amazing :)

its built for the long haul, and is going to be so worth it.

every minute detail comes into play to squeeze out the next tiny bit of power, but it all adds up.

MadStang

Reaction score
Damn.

I know your building a purpose built motor MadStang,

But dumping 12g's and hoping for 350.....dont know what to say.

I want all out on my toyota cylinder head, 2.4L single cam 8 valve long stroke truck motor. Spent a thousand bucks only to learn not to do that again. 1/10th of a second faster.

Live and learn though

If you look at what I'm building it for thought it makes sense. Road Racing, aluminum block, something that spins to 7000-7500rpm but can also still be driven on the street as needed. I'm only looking for 350, but something tells me I'm going to see more, just don't want to EXPECT to make more.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Always hate to say you will be blasting through the roof with numbers then not make it. I know the feeling.

I think 350 is more than easily attainable, and it will be power all the time.
no waiting for your turbo to spool.

my car pulls around 2000 rpms and continues pulling through to 6800 if I want to, though I tend to not go past 6.
huge powerband, part of building an n/a motor correctly :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online