How to repair window motor bushing - 94/95 cars only

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
A few weeks ago my driver side window wont go down without me pushing it,same thing to go up,but i was able to heard the motor running and a clicking noise so i decided to take the window motor out and surprise the bushing were worn out,so i went to the parts store and bought the bushings and got it fixed now it works like new up and down.now im goign to tell you how and what you need:

Tools needed:

*Bushing can be found at autozone,O'Reillys or Advance auto parts for about $6.99

Part No. is 74410 specs of bushings are :

Diameter:.595"
Height:.429"
*Phillips
*5/16 socket
*Flat scredriver

alexaybushings005_zps8decef1e.jpg

Step 1: ok first thing open the door (of course)

Step 2: now see the black part that you use to shut the door that needs to come off,on the top of it stick the flat screwdriver
and pop it loose,once that is done pull it straight up, on the back of it there is the power mirror switch unplug it, then
unscrew the two screws to free the lock/unlock harness

alexaybushings016_zpsbfecf9f7.jpg

Step 3: Take off the two screws that are near the center of the door panel.

Step 4:Now pull the panel door up and then feed the door opening handle thru the door panel.now the door panel is off

Step 5:the window operator is east of the door,peel back the plastic as necessary to get to it,then unplug it,now fish it thru the
little hole

alexaybushings013_zps32aa2b86.jpg

Step 6:Take the speaker off it has 4 screws

Step 7:now peel back the plastic as necessary to get to the 3 bolts holding the motor

alexaybushings011_zps6ae25b1a.jpg

alexaybushings014_zps83c22dfd.jpg

Step 8:takes off the three bolts holding the motor,make sure you are ready to catch it or will fall inside the door (no biggie),get it
out thru the speaker hole.

Step 9:eek:pen the motor by uncrimping the two crimps and pop the cover off surprise !!!!!!all that stuff is not garlic is whats left of
your bushing,at the end of the shaft there is a clip,spread its ears and slide the clip right off (pics no.1)

alexaybushings001-Copy_zps13a845ed.jpg

alexaybushings004-Copy_zps6506fac5.jpg

Step 10: pull the gears out and clean the inside

alexaybushings007_zpsb9fa04c5.jpg

Step 11 put your new bushings in

alexaybushings008_zps0108336b.jpg

alexaybushings009_zps8730cd09.jpg

reassemble everything and you are done

I hope this helps everyone.

NOTE: Passenger is almost same thing

1FastGT

Reaction score
Re: Window Problem 94-95 Only

you can put in 1/4" nuts. it actually works better cause they dont wear out and break down like the plastic rollers. thats what i did. :xmas-smiley-022:

OP
OP
Javi

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

1FastGT said:
you can put in 1/4" nuts. it actually works better cause they dont wear out and break down like the plastic rollers. thats what i did. :xmas-smiley-022:

ive heard about that,but nobody was able to prove it with pics,i will try that whenever i have to change them again :D

94IVGT said:
great write up man

thanks, i hope this helps everyone :santa_afro:

1FastGT

Reaction score

i did it on my driverside window works perfect for me.

stang4u2nv

Reaction score

Great write up but i did it in a different way you do everything he said but instead of replacing the bushing with the plastic pieces just go ahead and buy 3 small nuts i can't remember the size right now maybe 5/16 or something and they fit perfect in the spot where the bushings go.. now your window will only break if the motor itself burns out but never again will you replace plastic bushing, because now they will be made of steel, oh and by the way this works for almost every ford vehicle like crown victorias, lincoln, expedition explorers anything that is ford....

OP
OP
Javi

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

Probably next week,i will try to use 96-98 window motors (They have no bushings) i havent done any research for fitment issues and also i will try the One Touch Window Passenger Side,if i get it done ill get the write ups for it too. :xmascheers:

Stangbangin

Reaction score

Good info..thanks,...i was wondering if the window stays up on its own when you get the motor off. Or,do you have to secure it somehow before the motor is removed...

OP
OP
Javi

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

Stangbangin said:
Good info..thanks,...i was wondering if the window stays up on its own when you get the motor off. Or,do you have to secure it somehow before the motor is removed...

it stays up.

slowfivoh

Reaction score

I just picked up a convertible and the drivers side quarter window is hanging up if you lower it all the way. Do you think the quarter window's bushings are bad. It only hangs up if you lower it all the way, if you leave it about an inch or so up then it doesn't have a problem.

OP
OP
Javi

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

slowfivoh said:
I just picked up a convertible and the drivers side quarter window is hanging up if you lower it all the way. Do you think the quarter window's bushings are bad. It only hangs up if you lower it all the way, if you leave it about an inch or so up then it doesn't have a problem.

can you hear a clicking noise?

slowfivoh

Reaction score

I can't hear anything from here, I'm deployed and I a friend's dad picked the car up for me, I'm just going by what the previous owner said through an email that he sent me. He said if you put the window all the way down you have to grab the molding with needle nose pliers and help it come up the first inch or so, then it does fine.

OP
OP
Javi

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

slowfivoh said:
I can't hear anything from here, I'm deployed and I a friend's dad picked the car up for me, I'm just going by what the previous owner said through an email that he sent me. He said if you put the window all the way down you have to grab the molding with needle nose pliers and help it come up the first inch or so, then it does fine.

It sounds like the bushings are wornout.

Lane478

Reaction score

Ok I'm pissed. Why didn't I read this before I put Dynamat over my whole door panels. Hope mine don't go out. That crap is impossible to get off.

OP
OP
Javi

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

Lane478 said:
Ok I'm pissed. Why didn't I read this before I put Dynamat over my whole door panels. Hope mine don't go out. That crap is impossible to get off.

oppsy!! LOL

Asylum938

Reaction score

im not going to lie Im 100% happy I found this post before I went out and bought a new window motor!!!

gopanoz

Reaction score

"I just picked up a convertible and the drivers side quarter window is hanging up if you lower it all the way. Do you think the quarter window's bushings are bad. It only hangs up if you lower it all the way, if you leave it about an inch or so up then it doesn't have a problem."

I have the same problem for the last 5yrs. I just remember not to put all the way down. To get the window back up, take off speaker, reach in with small hammer and hit stuff but not the glass. This worked for me. Probably hit the motor or sumthin and it started working again. Have no clue why it sticks.

AJ Foyt tought me that a hammer usually resolves problems the best way possible. :hammer:

d232

Reaction score

I just did mine today. It took less than an hour to do it, and would defiantly be faster now that I've done it once. The bolts on the motor are 5/16", for those who would like to know.

topless95

Reaction score

I wish I would have joined this forum a month ago. I ordered a new gear from Mustangs Unlimited, and guess what- the wrong gear was in the package, so I ended up buying the whole motor.. I had no idea AZ sold the bushings in the help section. Well I guess you live and learn! Great write up though :thumb:

topless95

Reaction score

Yea my local Autozone has em for 7.99, what is hard to belive is that pep boys also has them but they want 12.99

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online