HPDE tires

Cochise

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting ready for the track. Not sure if I have enough time but I'm hoping to get everything together. Seeing since I just got the car and I don't have any knowledge of the tires that are on the car, I'm getting ready to order some. Below is the current wheel set up.

275/40R17 front (17X9)
315/35R17 rear (17x10.5)

I thought there would be more options available for these sizes but it basically boils down to Nitto NT555G2 or the NT05. Anyone have any experience with these on track? I'm use to The Ventus RS3/RS4 and the RE71R's but those don't seem to be available for my sizes.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
NT05s will be pretty sticky, and should work pretty well at the track. NT555G2 are more of a street tire, and won't stand up to heat very well. RE71R are being phased out, and pretty soon they will be replaced by something else from Bridgestone, however you may want to consider the fact that no one is making new performance compounds in wide 17s anymore, aside from Falken. Everyone is focusing on 18s now, 17s are being phased out.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
NT05s will be pretty sticky, and should work pretty well at the track. NT555G2 are more of a street tire, and won't stand up to heat very well. RE71R are being phased out, and pretty soon they will be replaced by something else from Bridgestone, however you may want to consider the fact that no one is making new performance compounds in wide 17s anymore, aside from Falken. Everyone is focusing on 18s now, 17s are being phased out.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not opposed to going with 18's in the future, I just already have the wheels and I don't see upgrading the brakes for a while until I start the coyote swap.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
NT05 or NT01 is your best call, both producing stable lap times, and NT01 more catered toward a more load. Falken RT660 is the only new tire that's available in wide 17, but they don't come in 315s, 275 is the widest you'd get for that tire.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
NT05 or NT01 is your best call, both producing stable lap times, and NT01 more catered toward a more load. Falken RT660 is the only new tire that's available in wide 17, but they don't come in 315s, 275 is the widest you'd get for that tire.
What do you run? What suspension set up do you have?

I probably don't need those monster sized tires. Especially when I start doing suspension work and start lowering the car. As cool as the tires look, they are probably too big.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'm on 17x10 Enkei RPF1s running Falken RT660. It's a pretty sticky tire, but needs to be heat-cycled, otherwise it falls apart pretty easily. The car has the entire MM catalog on it, and shocks have been reworked for higher spring rates and shortened for more travel by Pro Parts USA.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
Oh wow, 17x10 on all 4's? Any issues with that fitting? Do you run the same size tire on all 4's as well? Speaking of, what size tires do you run?

I'd be really interested in what your set up is. I also plan on using a complete MM set up on my car as well.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I had to pull the front fenders to make it clear. The tires I'm on right now are 275/40R17, all 4 are the same. It's a very basic setup, pretty much everything is off the shelf, except for shocks. The spring rates are 450 front and 300 rear coilover rate, and front alignment is -4.5 camber, 7.5 caster, and 0 toe.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
I had to pull the front fenders to make it clear. The tires I'm on right now are 275/40R17, all 4 are the same. It's a very basic setup, pretty much everything is off the shelf, except for shocks. The spring rates are 450 front and 300 rear coilover rate, and front alignment is -4.5 camber, 7.5 caster, and 0 toe.
How did you pull the front fenders? What’s that mean exactly?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've had someone roll the inner lip and apply the pressure until the metal started to shift. There isn't much you can pull on SN95 front fenders, because they just spring back. To get more coverage, I also ended up loosening the top bolts, and sliding the fenders as far our as they would go (good for about .5 inch). That seemed to do the trick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online