idle problems (idle wont drop)

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
sooo umm i had this problem a year ago and it went away so i opted to leave whatever it was alone.

well now its back.

sometimes (not all the time), my car will like to idle at 1500-2200rpms. i can give it gas, sometimes it will drop but normally it wont. i usually will have to turn the car off and restart it to fix it, and even that doesn't work sometimes. also, when i am driving down the road and this starts happening, i can go like a mile without pressing the gas because it will pull me along and keep my speed up. its like cruise control basically.

does anybody know what this could be??

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
meh ive replaced that twice and no dice on either lol.

could it have anything to do with the IAC?

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yup, remove you IAC and spray some Carb Cleaner in there. Cover the holes with your palm and shake it up real good.
Dump it out and spray more in there. Work the spring that is visible with a small screwdriver. Just make sure everything is moving freely.

Did you set your TPS to .98-.99V ?

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
honestly i dont remember what the TPS is set at.. i dont even remember how to do it, its been awhile since ive messed with it.

and ill do the IAC thing again. i cleaned the IMRC's yesterday and it seems to be doing the idling thing more often now but the car seems to run a lot better if that makes sense....

ill do the IAC thing in a bit and if you could help me on how to do the TPS, id appreciate it. i got the multimeter and all i just forget how you set it. :thumb:

badass98svt

Reaction score
To set the TPS:
Middle wire should be .97 or so at idle position and 5v at WOT.

One will be 5v all the time as it is the power supply wire.
Can't remember the 3rd.

The middle is the one you want and if it isn't .97-5v then the TPS may be FUBARED. Put the (+) lead on the middle wire, and the (-) to ground.
Put a volt meter on the middle, turn the key on and then sweep the throttle from closed to WOT very slowly and make sure the voltage climbs.
To "adjust" the TPS, loosen the 2 screws and VERY slightly rotate the piece. There won't be much room to rotate it, but it doesn't take much nto get the Voltage reading to move alot. If you need more adjustment, remove the TPS and drill out the 2 screws holes to a little larger size.

With the key in the ON position, the TPS should read .97-.98V The voltage should climb steadily to 5V as you move the throttle body.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.