ignition boxes

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
During my last remote tuning session my tuner said it would be a good upgrade to get the holley dual sync dist and an ignition box rather than the stock TFI system. I didn't feel like spending the money at the time since it was running but I kept that info until this week when I found someone selling the dist I need for this for $150. Naturally holley recomends an MSD 6A but its been at least 15 years since I have heard anything regularly reliable about msd. I thought in the past few years since holley got them they have been better but I am curious what the current word on msd is and if there are any other ignition boxes to keep en eye out for?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Msd ignition boxes don’t generally have the same problems that their other products have.

Someone else may have had a bad experience but the ones I used in the past were solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Long as you buy from an actual msd supplier, the quality should be like its always been. It was copy cat china producing crap that nearly destroyed msd and yeah....it was crap.

I had a magazine article covering the situation and the break down on how to spot the copy cat junk. To an untrained eye, it was msd product. But after examining the article the copy cats were no where near the same, but it took a trained eye to recognize it.

Most of the crap copy junk was sold on ebay or similar sites. Then performance sites picked up the awesome priced equipment most due to not having to make a big buy in purchase and resold it at msrp on their sites.....nearly killed the msd name.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Long as you buy from an actual msd supplier, the quality should be like its always been. It was copy cat china producing crap that nearly destroyed msd and yeah....it was crap.

I had a magazine article covering the situation and the break down on how to spot the copy cat junk. To an untrained eye, it was msd product. But after examining the article the copy cats were no where near the same, but it took a trained eye to recognize it.

Most of the crap copy junk was sold on ebay or similar sites. Then performance sites picked up the awesome priced equipment most due to not having to make a big buy in purchase and resold it at msrp on their sites.....nearly killed the msd name.
ah thats interesting, never thought about that angle and not sure why. When I realized they are making fake memory chips I realized they can fake anything. Any chance you can find that article as I have seen a couple for sale used that I considered.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Scott I have one with a window switch that I removed from my 87 grand marquis Ill let go for cheap. Im never going to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have been burned many times. I pay more by going direct and the companies say I must use their distributor, I say their stuff is being copied and I had one big name part we all use say out of 3 counterfeit makers one of them made better parts than they did. The latest I am battling is Bayer flea collers for the dogs...the real ones work the fakes are done in 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online