Ignition & Door Locks question

GhostCat

Reaction score
My mustang uses a different key for the ignition and door locks. Can I buy a ignition and door lock set that uses the same key and install that into my car? or will it not be compatible? Also is it hard to install or should i take it to a professional?

here's the set I'm talking about https://www.americanmuscle.com/black-lock-set-9495.html

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The ignition lock is SUPER easy to get out. Check out youtube for how to do it but you can do it in any parking lot with just a single tool. The only word of caution is do not turn it while you have it removed or there is a little pin that slides out and it basically falls apart in your hands. Take that to a local locksmith with your door key and they can fix the ignition to take the same key. They will probably have to cut a new ignition key but I don't think you would be looking at $50 for the total labor as its only 30 mins of their time if they are slow.

lutter94

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the different Letters for the motorcraft ignition tumblers?

TPJLT8lutOrVT4WQp3Ur_1LhIlsu71rLzB7O7KolqMwgSYH9BP0BcWDyiXAk2WWv8LVBgJKiNll0angujDC_STM2U1-_SBoEfW56-Q8b-mCoxoDcr_xs5Yzgh59SCupzND2V4c-7Ys4Lw9YGUPi0obnoVkXw0e2uJjtwiufBbPR88IK_BaXJQL3bUaNEA1WNhikqoJreBrW2fgD2eTuIBjPmJEoumQLQnoBQGC_72wiuCnhc9GqZ3oiZsoahRExzU-ibrkKZO-M2DpWBKVFuBbx5x2Ci95GI72z6XfTUKhnvvMs2xtSkIndQd06dq5CgWWHxPrixmewBPJ0-iYUZwEf79CpKYvGq5Zonh3_1NZ43RtMmzUbcMfYyfvLpmzduIfNIGHDS98nTpXjxwSzBaBL9lLCbogksXDV2ZY-msqCZ7l3XovSRfnKbk6HlJK3Y4iX9W5TYNxFJsmAMBCZ1TNn1KqOtsFSuxOlvh2ZXz7IAOk-0e3kdqJSbSohD88qp9SSmcUcL9NbnTEYktxyD7EbXeWX7Fq5_yP0oKyCeoAkHNji0gxg1_WzvewEdG4AX5PjuUQkpHIVAEP0AefhuHRNZFTZHh7EgYh4xkooNlG78k8p2TO6dRMnMA-gHunL-RB4_p58R4E7rxay88U2CaHoCGfz9GhY=w1547-h359-no

PinkieT

Reaction score
On my 98, I have to get the replacement keys programmed to the PATS (Passive Anti Theft Security) system. If the key isn't programmed to the PATS, you can't start the car. Might be easiest in the long run to pull your door locks and have a locksmith match them to your ignition key.

PinkieT

Reaction score
If you change your ignition cylinder and key, the new one won't be programmed to turn off the PATS (Passive Anti Theft Security) system. Your car won't start. Might be best in the long run to pull your door locks and have a locksmith change them to work with your current ignition key. BTW, don't forget the trunk key!

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
On my 98, I have to get the replacement keys programmed to the PATS (Passive Anti Theft Security) system. If the key isn't programmed to the PATS, you can't start the car. Might be easiest in the long run to pull your door locks and have a locksmith match them to your ignition key.

yeah thats what i wanted to do but the original keys are wore out. I recently got them copied at home depot and the worker told me that they were super worn out and the machine was having trouble copying it. SO i think i will just buy the complete set and ignition from AmericanMuscle and take that to a locks smith.

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
If you change your ignition cylinder and key, the new one won't be programmed to turn off the PATS (Passive Anti Theft Security) system. Your car won't start. Might be best in the long run to pull your door locks and have a locksmith change them to work with your current ignition key. BTW, don't forget the trunk key!

i thought PATS was only on '96 and newer mustangs?

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
The ignition lock is SUPER easy to get out. Check out youtube for how to do it but you can do it in any parking lot with just a single tool. The only word of caution is do not turn it while you have it removed or there is a little pin that slides out and it basically falls apart in your hands. Take that to a local locksmith with your door key and they can fix the ignition to take the same key. They will probably have to cut a new ignition key but I don't think you would be looking at $50 for the total labor as its only 30 mins of their time if they are slow.

So I should go ahead and order the set from AMericanMuscle and take that to the locksmith?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
first I am assuming that this is for a 94/95 judging by the link above and your correct that you do not have pats to worry about.

With that being said do a youtube search for how to remove the ignition cylinder. All you do is find a little hole in the bottom of the steering column and put a small tool/screwdriver in it and hold it and then insert the key, turn it and then you pull the entire key/cylinder out in one piece. Take that to the locksmith with your door lock key and they should be able to rekey the cylinder for the door key and he can probably cut you new keys that are not so worn out for a few bucks.

If this is 96 or above and pats is in play then I am not sure what to recommend. Programming pats is not a big deal, I would rate it easier then removing both door cylinders and replacing them.

PinkieT

Reaction score
What year do you have? You never said. If an early car without PATS, you dodged a bullet.

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
first I am assuming that this is for a 94/95 judging by the link above and your correct that you do not have pats to worry about.

With that being said do a youtube search for how to remove the ignition cylinder. All you do is find a little hole in the bottom of the steering column and put a small tool/screwdriver in it and hold it and then insert the key, turn it and then you pull the entire key/cylinder out in one piece. Take that to the locksmith with your door lock key and they should be able to rekey the cylinder for the door key and he can probably cut you new keys that are not so worn out for a few bucks.

If this is 96 or above and pats is in play then I am not sure what to recommend. Programming pats is not a big deal, I would rate it easier then removing both door cylinders and replacing them.

Its a '95. The cylinder itself is worn out as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
check your local locksmith as they might be able to replace the worn out pieces, otherwise a new one isn't that bad on a 94. You can just drop it off at the locksmith with the door key and pick it up when he is done so it matches with a knew ignition key

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
check your local locksmith as they might be able to replace the worn out pieces, otherwise a new one isn't that bad on a 94. You can just drop it off at the locksmith with the door key and pick it up when he is done so it matches with a knew ignition key
thanks for the tip

riored4v

Reaction score
Used that same set on my 94 since the door lock key didn't match the ignition, plus they were getting worn out. Nice set and worked great. Only thing I had to do was re-paint the trim on the door lock pieces. I didn't really like how they looked.

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
Used that same set on my 94 since the door lock key didn't match the ignition, plus they were getting worn out. Nice set and worked great. Only thing I had to do was re-paint the trim on the door lock pieces. I didn't really like how they looked.
How did you go about installing them? Did it take a long time?

riored4v

Reaction score
How did you go about installing them? Did it take a long time?

Didn't take too long. Ignition one was really quick. 10min or less. Door locks took a bit more time since I painted them and was also needing to figure out how to install the rods inside the doors since mine were missing. They're basically just held in with the rod and some clips though. Pop the door panels off and dig in. You'll see how simple they are once you're in there.

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
Didn't take too long. Ignition one was really quick. 10min or less. Door locks took a bit more time since I painted them and was also needing to figure out how to install the rods inside the doors since mine were missing. They're basically just held in with the rod and some clips though. Pop the door panels off and dig in. You'll see how simple they are once you're in there.
good to know. I will give a try when ever I order the set. Thank again.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The locks being worn out could be the locks or the keys. I would try a new key first and see if its better as it would save you the time replacing it.

OP
OP
GhostCat

GhostCat

Reaction score
The locks being worn out could be the locks or the keys. I would try a new key first and see if its better as it would save you the time replacing it.
yeah i took the keys to get a copy and the locksmith told me they were so worn out that the machine wasnt recognizing them. I cant seem to find keys without the entire set on AmericanMuscle. i Guess will just try them whenever the set comes. At least for the ignition since it seems to use the same one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.