Ignition & Door Locks question

Hollywood

Reaction score
I busted the key off in mine...went to a junkyard and popped an ignition switch and key out of one and replaced it. Super easy to pop in and out. As far as PATS goes, my car had an aftermarket alarm installed on it when I got it. I suspect that PATS has been somehow bypassed, which would explain how I was able to just swap lock cylinders like that. I still ahve to address this problem, as I now have no doors keys (the key that broke off was the only key I had). Should I reinstall the original lock cylinder and have a key made or just have the key made for the doors? I would have for this alarm to go on the fritz and not be able to start the car.....lol!

lutter94

Reaction score
yeah i took the keys to get a copy and the locksmith told me they were so worn out that the machine wasnt recognizing them. I cant seem to find keys without the entire set on AmericanMuscle. i Guess will just try them whenever the set comes. At least for the ignition since it seems to use the same one.

Had a roommate with a Chevy Celebrity, key was so worn down it barley had teeth. Went to the Chevy dealer, he had to have his title, etc, but they ended up making a new key based on looking it up in a database. Would Ford do the same?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Had a roommate with a Chevy Celebrity, key was so worn down it barley had teeth. Went to the Chevy dealer, he had to have his title, etc, but they ended up making a new key based on looking it up in a database. Would Ford do the same?
if it were a car from the past 10 yrs maybe

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I thought all GM were a POS
I will not own another GM
But as far as keys It depends if they are programed or flashed have the chip, my 2003 F150 had a chip and had to be programed 120 bucks with key

07GtS197

Reaction score
Why not just get the door locks rekeyed to the new ignition key? Might be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Why not just get the door locks rekeyed to the new ignition key? Might be cheaper.

that would require removing both door locks from the doors, which is a bit of a pain. Don't forget the trunk as well.

07GtS197

Reaction score
True but is it that hard? I put new ones in my 87 grand marquis in half an hour. Now the question is whats cheaper, a new chip key or remove/rekey the door and trunk locks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online