Installed new struts/shocks, LCAs & C/C plates this weekend.

fixthedoor

Reaction score
Ok, originally I was gonna go balls deep on suspension parts and get a full suspension right out the gate. A new house, more car repairs than intended, yada yada yada and I'm now piecing together my suspension. From Stangsuspension :thumb: I picked up Bilstein HD shocks & struts, MM HD non-adjustable LCAs and MM caster camber plates. My lil bro and I spent the better part of Saturday installing everything. This had to be the easiest install. MM instructions are well thought out and my only beeyatch was that the pictures were not reproduced on the page clearly. Lack of clear pictures was not a problem though as instructions are very clear. Installing new struts and c/c plates at same time is a good idea. We could not separate old strut from lower strut mounting plate and spent considerable time over-thinking the problem. After some head scratching, sweating and a couple bent tools we realized upper strut mounting plate was not directly connected to strut. The strut and lower plate could be removed as one piece.

What a difference! Granted my old shocks and struts are shot to hell and can be compressed with ease, the new bits are tits. Simply driving down the street I could feel the car hugging the road. Body roll, what body roll. The car now instills confidence when cornering and only my tires cut the fun short (we found their limit quickly and easily). I will be getting new tires in few weeks so they won't be a problem. Ride quality decreased slightly but it is a welcomed trade-off. I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend it.

Here's some pics-

The goods
IMG00013.jpg

Old bits in rear
IMG00016.jpg

New bits in rear
IMG00022.jpg

A small comparison
IMG00019.jpg

Front strut
IMG00029.jpg

C/C Plate
IMG00030.jpg

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That's some beefy stuff there, boss. When are you getting springs?

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

ReplicaR said:
That's some beefy stuff there, boss. When are you getting springs?

I should be pulling my car DD duty within a month and I will get new springs when that happens. Since it won't be a DD I will feel better about lowering it an inch. Do know how thick new spring isolators are?

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
1/4 inch or so each. getting those new springs will make you smile now. and a beefier sway bar. but we all know priorities first.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
xploder17s said:
1/4 inch or so each. getting those new springs will make you smile now. and a beefier sway bar. but we all know priorities first.

Coo. I have stock iso's on there now and they are paper thin. When I put new springs I'll have to get new iso's which coupled with 1" lowering springs will net me about 3/4" drop.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'd keep stock ISOs unless you can see right through them. Urethane isolators are a pain in the ass to work with and I hate them with passion.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
I'd keep stock ISOs unless you can see right through them. Urethane isolators are a pain in the ass to work with and I hate them with passion.

Yeah I can see right through my stockers. Why are urethane isolators a pain in the ass?

Do you still like H&R springs? I was looking at their race springs but I have not been able to pin down how much they would lower my car. H&R race spring specs say 1" - 1.75" lower depending on vehicle and are not more specific.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Yeah, I ran H&R Race springs, and I like them a lot. The only problem was that they were not stiff enough for the track, so eventually I went to coilover front and H&R Super Race rear. The reason why I did not like urethane isolators, is because they are a pain in the ass to work with. Makes alignment and installation of springs a huge bitch. If you can get some stock isolators in good/decent condition, I think you'd be better off.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
I must be missing something here...

H&R Race springs 79-04 lower car approx 1" -1.75"

Steeda sport springs 79-04 lower car approx 1" -1.25"

Steeda competition springs 79-04 lower car approx 1.25"

Are these differences real or just misinformation?

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Yeah, I ran H&R Race springs, and I like them a lot. The only problem was that they were not stiff enough for the track, so eventually I went to coilover front and H&R Super Race rear. The reason why I did not like urethane isolators, is because they are a pain in the ass to work with. Makes alignment and installation of springs a huge *****. If you can get some stock isolators in good/decent condition, I think you'd be better off.

I'll look into getting some stock iso's

ReplicaR

Reaction score
fixthedoor said:
I must be missing something here...

H&R Race springs 79-04 lower car approx 1" -1.75"

Steeda sport springs 79-04 lower car approx 1" -1.25"

Steeda competition springs 79-04 lower car approx 1.25"

Are these differences real or just misinformation?

Those are just ranges of what kind of drop is possible with those springs. Race spring does not drop very far. I don't know much about Steeda springs, but I've never seen anyone use it.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
The blind man picked up his hammer and saw. Thanks. :thumb:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiswoc