Interior ratteling sounds crap

khan.cross

Reaction score
I know this hasbeen discussed many times.

My interior SN95 Convertible has very crappy sounds, ratteling, squeaking. Also the doors when the close sounds like metal barrels.

What are your preventions to get more quality for the interior?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can get new bushings for the doors that I understand takes a little bit to install but is not that bad. As for the interior rattling there is probably a clip that is either broken or just not pushed in far enough to make contact. The best way to identify which panel is making noise is have someone else drive and then you can push/pull on different areas to see what makes the noise stop. From there it is a matter of making it mount better or putting something behind it to help stop it.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
These things mentioned will only get you so far. If you want German interior acoustic quality you have to put in the work and that means isolating all the interior plastic panels from everywhere they contact using thin foam padding, and that means on all edges/circumferences, the shoulders of the plastic push pins where they contact the panel, as well as under the head of those pins. But that's not all: you need to also look at metal joints, mostly in the rear convertible frame area, making sure nothing rattles and addressing those areas too.

OP
OP
khan.cross

khan.cross

Reaction score
Thanks guys, these insulation material is what I was looking for.

German cars sounds much better inside and when closing doors. They sound full and not like an empty barrel.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sound damping on the door like shown can help a few different things. It keeps the road noise out, reduces vibrations but it also creates a little bit of an enclosure for the speaker to sound better as well. With that being said do NOT get the cheapest brand you can find and please don't go to home depot to get peel and seal roofing material as it is not the same I promise.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Oh god! I swear once these cars got to be 6-8yo, all those foam parts disintegrated. The air vents were the first to go, and they’d blow off and get everywhere. You’d try to pick them up and they’d turn to dust. The door cards were the next to go. They were on all the hooks that hang inside the door holes, and the the one on the door pull bezel cups. I covered those with electrical tape, but that’s basically it.

OP
OP
khan.cross

khan.cross

Reaction score
I used self adhesove foam material about 10mm thick but soft. The door sounds better nowbut still not like a current German car

OP
OP
khan.cross

khan.cross

Reaction score
Update, after using a foam style mat and keeping and eye on loosen door stuff, I glued/screwed all loose plastic parts, which broke before and used new retainer clips. Also I used new door bumpers, I had to find something what fits instead of original. Door shut sounds much better as before!

OP
OP
khan.cross

khan.cross

Reaction score
I used small rubber door stopper with a screw in it. Not the prettiest solution but works for now. Maybe I can find better rubbers in future

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 1

badass98svt

Reaction score
I added lots of sound deadener when I did the stereo in my car last spring. I took a good amount of pics, and posted them in a thread I started.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my only word of warning for people doing this is if you add foam to your doors or anywhere really you want to be sure that it is a closed cell foam. Open cell foam is a sponge and if it gets wet you will have fun drying it out.

Shocker6

Reaction score
I’m about to get down and dirty into my interior. One thing I’ll be using is 3m electrical rubber tape. And a lot of it. It’s very durable, reusable and forms well. Stretches so well so you won’t waste much. Leave a buddy tail to remove it easily next time. Then reuse it…..

OP
OP
khan.cross

khan.cross

Reaction score
Yes you are right with the foam, I live in Antalya, very hot here and less rain. I am going to sell the car anyway, baught it and service it to get profit of it. Almost done, but still waiting for shocks and ball joints from Rockauto.

Will post photos before/after when its done

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I’m about to get down and dirty into my interior. One thing I’ll be using is 3m electrical rubber tape. And a lot of it. It’s very durable, reusable and forms well. Stretches so well so you won’t waste much. Leave a buddy tail to remove it easily next time. Then reuse it…..
Look into fleece tape. It's the best bet for interior electrical insulation.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Better in every possible way.

It has more cut/abrasion resistance, the soft texture makes no noise against other things inside the car, leaves no sticky residue when you have to pull it open for whatever reason, doesn't degrade over years like vinyl tape will, no need to stretch it like vinyl tape.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I love me some tesa tape with all the wiring I do but now well now I am not sure what you mean by "electrical insulation" exactly. If you mean it doe not conduct well then yes/no. The material itself does not conduct but you can get strands of wire that go through the material and can short out. Because of this "tesa tape"(I think this is the technical name for it unless you're talking about something else) isn't as great an electrical insulator as standard vinyl electrical tape. What they like to use it for strapping a bunch of wires together with it because it does not dry out/rot the way electrical tape does so they often just run a wrap of it down the length of the wires/cable like a black candy cain. This uses less tape and still allows access to the wires if you need to get into them and it is especially great to wrap around where some of the wires split off. If you mean you have used it to literally insulate electrical connections where there is bare wire, this is not the place for it and you should replace the insulation on those connections.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.