Interior Rattles: Has anyone ever eliminated them??

Mike1261

Reaction score
I know. I know. It's a 20 year old car bla bla bla. But I have nothing but time and motivation on my hands, so I pose this question:

Has anyone ever eliminated the interior rattles and squeaks in their 99-04 Mustangs?

My problem is that I don't know exactly what is rattling. I think it's EVERYTHING, but more specifically I don't know what part of everything it is.

I'm thinking putting some kind of rubber, foam, upholstery, etc on the parts of the panels that cause the Rattles and Squeaks would solve the problem. Has anyone ever succeeded?

My brother, way back when, had a 70's Ford Capri in Europe. He upholstered every interior panel in purple and black alcantara. It looked very cool and disco, but it's not my look. However, that was one silent car, between the dynamat and the panel upholstery.

I'm just trying to find a way to achieve the same effect without having to upholster lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sound damping is not a hard thing for the average DIY'er to do. There are a number of brands that are good to use. The key is to figure out where they are coming from first. Take a drive with someone else in the drivers seat while you figure out where the noise is from and what to do to fix it. Sometimes you can push somewhere, sometimes you have to lift but the idea is to figure out the point of the noise.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah like Scott said it’s all trial and error. Just gotta start listening and attacking with sound dampener materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
First things first, put sub frame connectors on the car and stop the flex that makes the rattles.
I have a Very stiff car without original deadening left and even going back to stock exhaust is loud, but no squeaks bone quiet.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Have you done any suspension work lately? If you tightened the bolts in your bushings without loading the suspension first, you will get squeaks.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I tightened all the loose screws in my head and it sure helped... :p

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
20yo car probably means there’s a good chance that you’re not the original owner and thus don’t fully know the cars history. If the speakers were ever replaced, your door pull bezels and even the door card itself might be broken. Same goes for the area around the radio. The bezel, the area that connects the center console to the dash.

Other thing is that they used foam to prevent surfaces from rubbing together. These pretty much disintegrated after its first 6-7 years of life so every AC bezel. The radio bezel, the door pull pocket and all the individual hooks the door cards have/had. If you see dirty tape stuck to something, that’s where the foam used to be. You can replace with felt or even electrical tape.

OP
OP
M

Mike1261

Reaction score
Thanks guys, some good tips in this thread! A year ago I lined the floors from front to back including the entire trunk with Noico 80mil sound deadener, and topped it with Closed Cell Foam. Made a huge difference in overall interior sound and now my cup holders stay cool.

I also grabbed a 75ft roll of adhesive-backed 3/4" wide felt strips to line all the contact points with. I'll get around to that eventually...

Lots of other projects popped up recently, not the least of which was a locked up AC Compressor when I was 125 miles from home down in Port St Lucie, FL, on a 90 degree "feels like 102" humid-as-hell day. Drove home with the AC off which totally sucked, but at least the clutch wasn't locked up so I didn't have to get towed.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I just did this in my mach. The center vents were rattling even though the car idled smooth. I used 3m felt pads. The hardest part is determining where the vibration is coming from and placing the pads without going overboard.

Makoto

Reaction score
dude i removed all the sound deadening and even with carpet in i can hear the fuel flowing through the lines :D
so while i originally intended to leave it all out i might add a little. rattles are annoying but you can get em all.

i heard of a 3rd gen camaro guy that actually did that wit his car. talk about dedication.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
dude i removed all the sound deadening and even with carpet in i can hear the fuel flowing through the lines :D
so while i originally intended to leave it all out i might add a little. rattles are annoying but you can get em all.

i heard of a 3rd gen camaro guy that actually did that wit his car. talk about dedication.
if you hate the stock jute, have a little cash and want something better check out second skins luxury liner. Its a mass loaded vinyl so it does not hold moisture and does a much better job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah