Intermittent no crank issue

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by Bub, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Bub

Bub Active Member

Okay I'm getting to wits end on this one. I pulled the motor for an hci and once I reinstalled it everything was great it ran strong and no issues. However randomly when I go to start it the car behaves as if the clutch isn't engaged. I had the starter tested and its fine I swapped the ignition switch no change and I bypassed the clutch switch and no change. Battery is brand new wire connections appear to be tight and grounds are nice and tight. Someone suggested the ignition control module but I'm not sure that would cause a no crank issue. Any help is appreciated thanks

2. toyman

toyman Active Member

Ignition module won't affect cranking. Due to the current draw for a starter there must be an ignition relay. Don't have any access to location where I'm at present but IIRC there is an ignition relay in the under hood main power fuse box.

3. Bub

Bub Active Member

Yes there is. I can hear it click. And the 3 40amp fuses are fine as well.

4. Mac65

Mac65 New Member

Check the terminal on the starter, make sure there is no corrosion! Where the wire goes in to the terminal.

5. MustangChris

MustangChris Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

Do you hear constant clicking from the ccrm? how is the engine-to-body ground?

Did you do any wiring while the engine was out?

6. Bub

Bub Active Member

I do not have a signal from the starter wire when this happens

I have a new ground strap that goes from the engine mount to the chassis and the black wire ground from the front left side of the harness I grounded the same location,

And I do not hear a constant clicking. Just a click from the relay and two more clicks after that

7. toyman

toyman Active Member

Are we correct to assume that if you run power directly from the battery to the starter it cranks?

8. toyman

toyman Active Member

Are we correct to assume that if you run power directly from the battery to the starter it cranks? If it cranks intermittently perhaps there is a cracked soldered joint to a starter winding. Must test okay until it stops in that particular location.

9. Bub

Bub Active Member

Im confused with what youre saying. I had the starter bench tested and it passed out of the car. I went and turned the key I hear one click. When I leave it in crank snd lift up and down on the clutch i hear an additional click each time. When I let go of the key I get two quick clips.

10. Mac65

Mac65 New Member

That would be a good place to check, Clean and make sure there is nothing interfering with your ground contact. Like rust corrosion or new paint. Usually these problems are simple fixes but you just have to find where the short is happening

11. MustangChris

MustangChris Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

can you clarify, please? that sounds promising...

12. Bub

Bub Active Member

The ground strap and wire harness ground are bolted to the engine mount and the ground strap is bolted to the subframe rail. The paint was scuffed for good contact and it lights up with a test light

13. toyman

toyman Active Member

I'm asking you to run power directly to the starter/solenoid from the battery. Use a battery jumper cable. If that doesn't crank the engine then the problem is either the return path (ground) or the starter/solenoid.

14. Bub

Bub Active Member

Okay, I don't remember if we did that two weeks ago or not when we started. I know I pulled the starter and had it tested. I will run a jumper wire on friday when i work on it next. Thanks.

15. Bub

Bub Active Member

As well as checking the jumper wire, i was reading about ground locations for these vehicles. One ground I'm reading about is the ground wire that attaches to the stud near the timing cover. That wire I wasn't sure if it went there or to the engine mount with the chassis ground strap. So currently it is attached to the engine mount and not that stud off the timing cover. Does anyone know if this will matter or as long as it is ground I'm okay??

16. Mac65

Mac65 New Member

Maybe that's why you're having trouble, I would recommend putting it back in it's location.

17. Bub

Bub Active Member

okay, the grounds have been moved and on the voltmeter are testing between 12.2-12.4 . . . will try jumping the wire

18. Bub

Bub Active Member

okay, starter works when jumped so power at signal wire . . .

19. Bub

Bub Active Member

I'm beginning to wonder if the old Viper Alarm that hasn't been working since i reinstalled the motor may have somehow engaged the starter kill. i'm unable to disarm the system but i dont have any flashing flights to indicate the alarm is activated

20. toyman

toyman Active Member

If you are unable to disarm the system why not remove it? Is there also a factory alarm that's functional?