Intermittent no crank issue

Bub

Reaction score
Okay I'm getting to wits end on this one. I pulled the motor for an hci and once I reinstalled it everything was great it ran strong and no issues. However randomly when I go to start it the car behaves as if the clutch isn't engaged. I had the starter tested and its fine I swapped the ignition switch no change and I bypassed the clutch switch and no change. Battery is brand new wire connections appear to be tight and grounds are nice and tight. Someone suggested the ignition control module but I'm not sure that would cause a no crank issue. Any help is appreciated thanks

toyman

Reaction score
Ignition module won't affect cranking. Due to the current draw for a starter there must be an ignition relay. Don't have any access to location where I'm at present but IIRC there is an ignition relay in the under hood main power fuse box.

Mac65

Reaction score
Check the terminal on the starter, make sure there is no corrosion! Where the wire goes in to the terminal.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you hear constant clicking from the ccrm? how is the engine-to-body ground?

Did you do any wiring while the engine was out?

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
Check the terminal on the starter, make sure there is no corrosion! Where the wire goes in to the terminal.

I do not have a signal from the starter wire when this happens

Do you hear constant clicking from the ccrm? how is the engine-to-body ground?

Did you do any wiring while the engine was out?

I have a new ground strap that goes from the engine mount to the chassis and the black wire ground from the front left side of the harness I grounded the same location,

And I do not hear a constant clicking. Just a click from the relay and two more clicks after that

toyman

Reaction score
Are we correct to assume that if you run power directly from the battery to the starter it cranks?

toyman

Reaction score
Are we correct to assume that if you run power directly from the battery to the starter it cranks? If it cranks intermittently perhaps there is a cracked soldered joint to a starter winding. Must test okay until it stops in that particular location.

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
Im confused with what youre saying. I had the starter bench tested and it passed out of the car. I went and turned the key I hear one click. When I leave it in crank snd lift up and down on the clutch i hear an additional click each time. When I let go of the key I get two quick clips.

Mac65

Reaction score
I do not have a signal from the starter wire when this happens

I have a new ground strap that goes from the engine mount to the chassis and the black wire ground from the front left side of the harness I grounded the same location,

And I do not hear a constant clicking. Just a click from the relay and two more clicks after that

That would be a good place to check, Clean and make sure there is nothing interfering with your ground contact. Like rust corrosion or new paint. Usually these problems are simple fixes but you just have to find where the short is happening

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are we correct to assume that if you run power directly from the battery to the starter it cranks? If it cranks intermittently perhaps there is a cracked soldered joint to a starter winding. Must test okay until it stops in that particular location.

can you clarify, please? that sounds promising...

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
That would be a good place to check, Clean and make sure there is nothing interfering with your ground contact. Like rust corrosion or new paint. Usually these problems are simple fixes but you just have to find where the short is happening

The ground strap and wire harness ground are bolted to the engine mount and the ground strap is bolted to the subframe rail. The paint was scuffed for good contact and it lights up with a test light

toyman

Reaction score
Im confused with what youre saying. I had the starter bench tested and it passed out of the car. I went and turned the key I hear one click. When I leave it in crank snd lift up and down on the clutch i hear an additional click each time. When I let go of the key I get two quick clips.

I'm asking you to run power directly to the starter/solenoid from the battery. Use a battery jumper cable. If that doesn't crank the engine then the problem is either the return path (ground) or the starter/solenoid.

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
I'm asking you to run power directly to the starter/solenoid from the battery. Use a battery jumper cable. If that doesn't crank the engine then the problem is either the return path (ground) or the starter/solenoid.

Okay, I don't remember if we did that two weeks ago or not when we started. I know I pulled the starter and had it tested. I will run a jumper wire on friday when i work on it next. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
As well as checking the jumper wire, i was reading about ground locations for these vehicles. One ground I'm reading about is the ground wire that attaches to the stud near the timing cover. That wire I wasn't sure if it went there or to the engine mount with the chassis ground strap. So currently it is attached to the engine mount and not that stud off the timing cover. Does anyone know if this will matter or as long as it is ground I'm okay??

Mac65

Reaction score
Maybe that's why you're having trouble, I would recommend putting it back in it's location.

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
okay, the grounds have been moved and on the voltmeter are testing between 12.2-12.4 . . . will try jumping the wire

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if the old Viper Alarm that hasn't been working since i reinstalled the motor may have somehow engaged the starter kill. i'm unable to disarm the system but i dont have any flashing flights to indicate the alarm is activated

toyman

Reaction score
If you are unable to disarm the system why not remove it? Is there also a factory alarm that's functional?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online