Jeff, ALITL8, get the hell in here!

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok, my car needs a good detail, BAD! Its been outta the garage in some bad weather, and Reading threads about claybaring and stuff, I want to do it now. Can you guys help me out here? Like make a list of what to buy? I want to Clay bar, wax, polish etc. etc. the whole 9 yards. I dont know what to buy or where to buy. I looked at our sponsors but Im still lost.

:help2: :help2: :help2: :help2: :help2:

Thanks fellas

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
im not jeff or alitl8 but for clay id get blue clay magic. For wax i really liked p21s so you can get the s100 which is the same thing for much cheaper (easy on/off and looks great), natty's blue is good too(a little harder to come off but supposedly lasts longer). Polish depends if you are doing it by hand or if you have a pc 7424. If ya do (i recommend getting one if ya can) optimum polish has worked well for me. By hand i dunno much for good polishes but i think meg colorx is supposed to be good.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
1. Get a dedicated soap specific for cars like Meguires Gold Class

2. Get a clay bar and lube like Meguires Clay Kit

3. Get a Porter Cable 7424

4. Get Polishing Pads with different amounts of "cut"

5. Get an agressive polish and a finishing polish

6. Get a wax such as Klasse All in One

7. Get a tire shine

This is the basic exterior stuff that you will need for a good detail. Go to http://autopia.org/forum/ and check out the threads and learn A LOT.

Good luck. O0

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good advice guys!

Ok Fets, I've tried all the stuff you can buy at auto parts, and now use alot of the poorboys stuff, and others.
First off - how much swirl are you talking about here?

Blue clay magic clay is MUCH MUCH better than Meguires, I've used both, side by side.

Polish - you can do by hand, but will save much time and get better results from a buffer.
If your going to go serious, get an orbital. If you can't afford a PC, get a cheepie from pep boys or something, and some pads and it will last you a while.
I burned one up before getting my PC - which is AWSOME.

Different polishes are good, but a lot of it is in the application.
I'd highly recommend the PB, ultra fine polish, it is awsome on anything (paint, wheels, glass, chrome) as a final buff and prep before wax.
once you get there, the wax just get's wiped on, and wiped off. All the time before then makes the difference.

Here's what I'd do, since your car is hammered, and probably oxidized a bit with tar and road crap on the paint.

Soap with some degreaser, and wash the car.
then go over it with degreaser and a rag to get off Tar.
then clay bar it -
your paint will be squeaky clean.

Time to polish, now this depends on how bad the scratches are.
it may need a medium then fine... havn't seen it so I dunno.

polish it out in stages, then wax it.

Nattys is a great wax, easy to apply and remove and it shines great.
I've heard good about the p21 but havn't used it.
Klasse is also a great sealer, I put some on my wheels last night!
3M prefect it is good as well.

Ya know Fets, if your starting fresh here, I'd recommend getting the PB's stuff and applicators from Justang.
He has a sale going on, too!

Here's what I'd recommend: PM justang for pricing on this stuff:

Poorboys Wash (is awsome! I love this stuff)
Poorboys claybar (or blue magic - but you'll have to get somewhere else)
1 waffle microfiber towell for drying
at least 3 regular micros for wiping off polish and wax, windows, wheels etc.
applicators
Optimum Polish, for medium swirl marks, or whatever polish you want.
PB ultra fine polish (blue)
Nattys wax (blue)

he also has degreaser, tar remover and glass cleaner.

then if your getting a buffer, cheapie from auto store, or a PC - and the pads to go with it.

Hope this helps, your car will love you and you'll love how it looks when your done.

OP
OP
F

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thansk Jeff and Red!! Going to take a gander at this stuff now

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do it up...i'll be clay bar and waxing/polishing this weekend.

I like some of the over the counter stuff, the Mothers Claybar is ok especially if you don't want to wait for an order online. I also like the NXT wax, easy on easy off and available everywhere. I use polish from the Harley Davidson dealer...i think its T-100 or something. Thats what i use if i'm not at home and want to clean up the ride...at home a i have a decent collection from Adams that i really like.

wytstang

Reaction score
Red96GT said:

7. Get a tire shine

This is the basic exterior stuff that you will need for a good detail. Go to http://autopia.org/forum/ and check out the threads and learn A LOT.

Good luck. O0
Just to clarify Klasse All-In-One is not a wax but a chemical cleaner with very very little Acrylic protection left behind. It's not really meant to be a stand alone product, rather a cleaner to strip the surface making it ready to you Last step Product aka wax and or sealant (specificly Klasse Sealant Glaze).

OP
OP
F

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I went out and bought Mothers Claybar kit (has the polish, and quick detailer too), some wheel cleaner, waffle rags, and other little things. i didnt want to wait for an online order, because tomorrow is like the only day I have nothing planned. im going to order some stuff from the poorboys line here shortly.

Oh I can't wait till tomorrow to start detailing lol

Thanks for all the tips guys

G

GREG@SN95

OK... heres some instructions...

1. get 10 chicks in bikinis

2. Ask them politely to wash your car, offer money only if necessary.

3. Ask them to remove bikinis to use for detail/wax which will transform them into nekked chicks

4. Nekked chicks > *

5. Give them Girls Gone Wild T-Shirts

6. Get video camera out

7. watch

This is by far the best way to detail your car...

scootin95gts

Reaction score
shoulda got the meguiars kit, i got one today and it came with wax,detailer,two bars,and a microfiber towel for a dollar more,also if you polish your car with diff strength pads wont that rub some of the clearcoat off ad in time take it all off?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
wytstang said:
Red96GT said:

7. Get a tire shine

Good luck. O0
Just to clarify Klasse All-In-One is not a wax but a chemical cleaner with very very little Acrylic protection left behind. It's not really meant to be a stand alone product, rather a cleaner to strip the surface making it ready to you Last step Product aka wax and or sealant (specificly Klasse Sealant Glaze).

I see what you are saying but this is from Klasse.

"Klasse All-In-One polishes away oxidation, minor swirls, old wax, and other surface blemishes, leaving a deep acrylic shine that will last 6 months or more! All-In-One bonds to the surface like wax but doesnt penetrate or change the paint in any way. It matches the depth and clarity of a high quality carnauba wax but lasts much longer."

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
when it comes to detailing products the way companies classify and describe some products is confusing and misleading (especially with some glazes, waxes etc...) Klasse all in one does have a little protection but nothing like true sealers/waxes. If Klasse all in one was such a great "wax" (i emphasize the " 's) then why do they recommend putting klasse sealant/glaze over top of it to "seal" the paint. Klasse AIO is a great chemical cleaner and is a great last step prep before putting on sealants and/or waxes. The klasse twins (AIO and SG) is a great combo. I have used it before and its durability is great but it doesnt hide defects like carnubas do and it has a different shine to it. I have used the klasse twins and then used p21s wax over top of it. It is great because it lasts long and has great durabilty due to the SG and then you get the shine of a carnuba. Now i just use a wax mainly because i wax it fairly often anyways and durabilty is not a big concern to me. The best wax i have used so far is p21s wax. It is great and if you want to try it just pick up the s100 wax. Same exact thing but cheaper. I have a thing of natty's blue but i have only used it once so i am not going to compare it yet. I need to do some restocking because i dont have any clay bar plus i need some more pads for the pc and a few other things i need to try out :naughty:.

If you want to know everything there is about detailing go check out autopia. You can read and learn everything there is about detailing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online