Just another tire question. chime in!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
before you start jumping because i didnt do the research just know that i didnt. I tried to but i wasnt getting anywhere so i gave up.

Ok so what i want is a good overall summer tire for my DD 94 GT. and 17x9 17x10.5 rims. Now for tires. the wheel kit comes with 275/40/17 and a 315/35/17 nitto555 but i do not know how good they are overall. I live in socal so it doesnt rain alot but when it does it pours, and the streets arent in the best shape. But we have lots of canyon roads, which i like to go on.

So can you rate them 1-10 for each category. Wet/dry/tread/handling/overall feel.

Now with a 315/35/17 there isnt many choices, but ive narrowed it down to the following, but you can add any if you'd like.
kumho ecsta xs
goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3
NT555R
NT555
NT05
MT Street Comp tire.

I really like canyon roads btw :headbang:

oh and are any of you running quads with wide wheels? if so which ones.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Suspension mods/plans:
H&R SS Springs with no rear isos, Koni orange, front/rear sway bar upgrades, eventually front lower control arms, x2 ball joints no spacers, if needed bumpsteer kit, CC plates, J&M rear control arm set, and pretty much new bushings and Full length subframe connectors.

motor:
see signature. please some BBK shorty's and a tune (aka adjust timing)

RICE ETR

Reaction score
If concerned with traction during heavy rain the NT05 or any other drag radial should be taken off your list. NT555R gets a lot of love from the Mustang community, they tend to run a little more narrow than other manufactures.

TanTop94

Reaction score
My brother ran the F1s and they worked out great for his fbody, they do not like the cold though at all. They didnt do all that bad in the rain either.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Kumho XS's and I absolutely love them. Traction is great, wear is good, tread pattern is awesome. I wouldn't trust them in the rain, but then again, it's SoCal so who gives a shit. I believe they are deemed a "autocross tire" or whatever that means so they should be great for canyons and such. My next tires however are most likely going to be Toyo Proxes.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If concerned with traction during heavy rain the NT05 or any other drag radial should be taken off your list. NT555R gets a lot of love from the Mustang community, they tend to run a little more narrow than other manufactures.

Its not like im going to be gunning it around in the rain, I just dont want to spin when im driving and lose control or something lol

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
My brother ran the F1s and they worked out great for his fbody, they do not like the cold though at all. They didnt do all that bad in the rain either.

Ya where i live it rarely gets under 60* so itll be pretty easy to warm tires up

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I have the Kumho XS's and I absolutely love them. Traction is great, wear is good, tread pattern is awesome. I wouldn't trust them in the rain, but then again, it's SoCal so who gives a shit. I believe they are deemed a "autocross tire" or whatever that means so they should be great for canyons and such. My next tires however are most likely going to be Toyo Proxes.

lol why wouldnt you trust them in the rain?? are they that bad in the wet?

Sinned83

Reaction score
The nitto 555's have a good tread life and work well in wet conditions. Of course our cars are not good in wet weather anyways. Forget DR's in wet conditions and you won't get the life out of them if your DD'ing them

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i've had 2 sets of nitto555's and they really do good in rain...but the best part is that they last for fn ever lol. i would go a little wider with them though as they def run narrow. my old 275/30's fit like a 265/30 lol. narrow tires for sure!!

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I liked my 555's a lot and got really good wear out of them but I didn't love them in the rain. I got MT Street comps a few months ago and really like them. Handling and cornering traction seems about the same as the 555. I like the MT much better in the rain, especially at freeway speeds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online