Another Brake Question...

Monday

Reaction score
OK, I going to be honest for a moment.

I currently have a pretty awesome Pony. I have tried to make the build as cheap as possible; Open Box; FB, and get myself the tools – all of them – so I wouldn’t have to get (and really pay for – 100$ an hour at most shops, more at a few) Professional expertise.

I’m going to be doing my front control arms and axle seals myself… that is a non-starter. So, you can see I’m not that well off money-wise, but I have been getting the job done nevertheless. I got the car for trade – it was a premiere Taylor acoustic guitar, but it was still three months wages getting it home.

I have of late, become obsessed with big brakes. My you-pulls in my area do not have any Caddy’s kicking around, so my question to all of my Peers is, what big brakes can I pull that, with a little mod or some other work, are going to go on to my car? Navigator? Explorer? A Van, you see where I’m going right…

These are some pics of the wheels and tires I’ve just put on. The wheels were all open box and took me two years to get the set, which fyi cost me 440$ total - that's an example. The black scoops and spoiler and gas door and trunk fascia are all pulled from a ’99 parts car – in a yard of course. I have also grabbed interior parts galore.

So, I’m looking for something which is gonna stop the car like a Porsche, while filling those wheels.

As always, thanks so much in advance, and just a general thanks for just being here SN95ers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 3

07GtS197

Reaction score
Your best bet is to go with a set of cobra brakes up front and Taurus calipers in the rear. Both are direct bolt ons and can be had for relatively little money. Cadillac brembos are going to be expensive and won’t fit all wheel combos.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I wasn’t going to dig up that thread until someone asked lol. I wasn’t in the mood to look for it then.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Your best bet is to go with a set of cobra brakes up front and Taurus calipers in the rear. Both are direct bolt ons and can be had for relatively little money. Cadillac brembos are going to be expensive and won’t fit all wheel combos.
I'd be interested in this Taurus set up too, as I already have a 2013 SHO. So please elaborate.

TrickVert

Reaction score
OP
OP
Monday

Monday

Reaction score
Cobra fronts/Taurus rears. Start looking for this tomorrow. Thanks for these replies everyone :)

joe65

Reaction score
I just did the cobras on the front of mine. And I’ll be doing the Taurus rears. Also. Those are 18” wheels and I found coated ford rotors on Rock Auto.

Attachments

• 38680CB9-9F4D-4B8D-ABF8-CF9B9F1059CF.jpeg
    38680CB9-9F4D-4B8D-ABF8-CF9B9F1059CF.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 6

07GtS197

Reaction score
They look good and perform well but they have such a small pad sweep area compared to the rotor surface.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
BLUF: hardly any Mustang is going to brake like a Porsche unless there's big money behind it.

The only way you'll increase brake torque is to increase leverage which means larger rotor which also means some sort of CNC'd caliper bracket to space the caliper itself out farther from the hub centerline. Which in turn means a larger wheel (18" minimum).

You can get an increase in brake torque to a lesser degree by increasing pad surface area as well but this almost always means a different caliper entirely.

If I were you I'd just save up a bunch of money over time and get a real kit and you'll love it.

EDIT: Found this

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
I like the idea of using those brakes but with all the little things you have to buy with it imo it’s not worth it unless you’re using them to race. Also I’m pretty sure FTR went MIA a while back. I’m pretty sure someone here placed an order there and never heard back. There used to be a rep here but I haven’t seen him in a while.

TrickVert

Reaction score
While more swept area is better, the most critical portion is the outer section, since as you move inward, you get diminishing returns. Have you ever tried to grab and stop a spinning disc near the center? You need (seemingly) exponentially more force than at the edge. That's why manufacturers install larger rotors, not (just) larger pads.

07GtS197

Reaction score
While more swept area is better, the most critical portion is the outer section, since as you move inward, you get diminishing returns. Have you ever tried to grab and stop a spinning disc near the center? You need (seemingly) exponentially more force than at the edge. That's why manufacturers install larger rotors, not (just) larger pads.
True, but my point was the small sweep of the pads. Look at the pad sweep area compared to other calipers/pads of similar size. It’s an observation is all.

NicksGTR

Reaction score
Cadillac ATS Brembos, about $300 pr on rock auto, already had the 13" rotors. I went with the S&S Engineering kit to adapt to spindle:

Attachments

• DSCF3682.JPG
    DSCF3682.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online