Keyless Entry Disaster

Ninety5_5Ohh

Reaction score
I have a 95 GT that I just bought a few weeks ago, and it has some aftermarket keyless entry/alarm system installed. All the remotes are damaged and there is not a brand name that I can go off of to order new parts. So I have decided to replace the whole system with a Viper alarm/keyless entry unit. My car did not come with a factory installed keyless system ( atleast there is not a keyless box behind the left tail light ). I would just leave it be, but the key that starts the car works only in the trunk, ignition, and glove box, for some reason it does not unlock the doors. WEIRD RIGHT??. YEAH!! If I didnt just score this car cheap i would be super pissed.

So Best buy has this Viper keyless entry and alarm kit for arouns 140.00 installed ( Simple install so thay claim, other parts needed are additional ). So I am wondering if this 140.00 alarm will even work?? I dont know if the vehicle has the PATS system or not, or if I will need additional parts to make this work. Anyone ever had experience with installing an aftermarket keyless/alarm system on their 95??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

- Ninety5

NERD

Reaction score
Color match and go... I've installed hundreds.

RemoteStart.jpg

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I will be using that chart later.

And your better than me, my key works on nothing but my trunk. My ignition could be started with anything you can get some leavrage on. I've used a screw once.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
The 140 dollor kit isnt that bas I work at BB in Car Fi and its crazy just how much we charge you.... but you cannot buy the kit for less even if you dont want the install...

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
dude you might have keyless entry.

if you have the wiring back in the trunk you might. ;)

NERD

Reaction score
CanaryGT said:
The 140 dollor kit isnt that bas I work at BB in Car Fi and its crazy just how much we charge you.... but you cannot buy the kit for less even if you dont want the install...

What store are you at? I was at 405; the wife got promoted so I had to leave. I'm thinking about going to another store this summer.

OP
OP
N

Ninety5_5Ohh

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!! I am what you would call an electrical system moron. I may drop buy BB and let them install that 140.00 viper system, seems like a decent deal. I dont want to have to mess with hacking into the wiring harness because my luck ill F something up and end up spending MOD MONEY or electrical repairs.

For you BB guys. Say I bring my ride up to BB here in town and buy this viper 140.00 alarm/keyless entry thing. Should I expect to pay 140.00 or are there HIDDEN charges im going to get slammed with?? Its either this viper alarm or the rekey kit from LRS for 160ish.00. Id like the keyless entry only because its a nice feature. I dont care about the trunk pop unless its free, all i really want is the keyless entry for the doors ( for now ) Later on i may get crazy with the trunk pop and windows stuff. I just want to be able to lock my car and not have to break into it every morning lol.

So heres a brain buster. Why will my key start the car ( work in the ignition ) open the trunk and glove box, but not open the doors?? I was thinking the key is too worn down but it works on other locks?? Go Figure....

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
real dumb question why dont you just get 2 new door cylinders and have them coded to the keys????

OP
OP
N

Ninety5_5Ohh

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
real dumb question why dont you just get 2 new door cylinders and have them coded to the keys????

HAHA never thought about that? Good call. I still would like to swap the keys out though. Im not too trusting of a craiglist sale. where can I find the cylinders? Ford?? i may consider it if the price is right.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
yea go to ford and have them code them to your car IF NOT go to a scrap yard get the cylinders and the keys to match.. that also works

OP
OP
N

Ninety5_5Ohh

Reaction score
I think im just going to rekey the whole car. Called several compaines and the cheapest I found was 325.00 and that would cover both doors, ignition, trunk, and glovebox. LRS has a service kit with everything for 162.00. Figuring you cant go wrong with that. Once installed I look into this keyless entry mess I have going on. Id like to find the unit and rip it out, because it arms itself and sets the horn off. Got to love when people RIG sh1t up, and dont tell you when you are looking over the car.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
try working for a dealership or a repair shop you see that stuff alllllll the time

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Since your car has the Coded keys, and you dont want to loose the spare or dont have one it might be more. There is a bypass module that they install behind the dash that will allows it to work if you are getting a remote start because it needs to have the key in the ignition.

Oh and Im located at store 377..... Number 1 Geek Squad in the Country Sucka! (percent to budget)

NERD

Reaction score
CanaryGT said:
Since your car has the Coded keys, and you dont want to loose the spare or dont have one it might be more. There is a bypass module that they install behind the dash that will allows it to work if you are getting a remote start because it needs to have the key in the ignition.

Oh and Im located at store 377..... Number 1 Geek Squad in the Country Sucka! (percent to budget)

But what's your accessory rate? I'll have the wife look it up tomorrow, lol. Does your store concentrate on moving boxes or attaching, hehe.

NERD

Reaction score
CanaryGT said:
My store focuses on raping every old person.

Helen's and Charlies? I'm not going to give you a long speech about attitude and customer service but saying that your store focuses on raping old people isn't cool. BB is one of the best companies I've ever worked for not only do I respect the business plan but I respect the customers. My wife and the rest of the leadership in our store feel the same way. :eek:ff the soapbox:

I bet you were relieved the reorg didn't affect GS. Are you FT or PT?

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Wow dude... I don't think you can take a joke but that's cool.

Since I was just hired they only do PT, but one guy is transferring from my dept to another store and one got moved to the bay so its just leaving me and another new hire with limited avail and less experience. My GM wants to move me to FT when the 30 day is up. Im also in line for a Double Agent job there. Thats why I like working there rather than my other past retail jobs cause I am being used in all Dept. Since I'm A+ Cert and such I can help with comps, Im getting my MECP cert as we speak I can do the Bay. It helps to be well rounded there.

NERD

Reaction score
CanaryGT said:
Wow dude... I don't think you can take a joke but that's cool.

Since I was just hired they only do PT, but one guy is transferring from my dept to another store and one got moved to the bay so its just leaving me and another new hire with limited avail and less experience. My GM wants to move me to FT when the 30 day is up. Im also in line for a Double Agent job there. Thats why I like working there rather than my other past retail jobs cause I am being used in all Dept. Since I'm A+ Cert and such I can help with comps, Im getting my MECP cert as we speak I can do the Bay. It helps to be well rounded there.

I must have been in a bad mood, I'm Bipolar so you never can tell what I'm going to say. Although, I've always taken BB very seriously. It's a great company and talking about "raping customers" on a public forum isn't cool, even if it is a joke. That's our lively hood. Her being a manager at a big box store you know what kind of money she makes and I couldn't risk all that for any reason. I don't mean this to bite your head off, i hope you understand.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Its all good. Like I said its a joke. Now we are on the whole Trust thing now. I kinda like it compared to care+

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online