Let's talk cages

NCMystic

Reaction score
In the next half a year or so i'd like to put a cage in my car. I have corbeau seats so i can run 4 point harnesses. I like the rally style cages where there are bars running between the seats and door from the rear seats to the foot well area. i'd like to still have the rear seats usable. are there any kit cages out there like this or will i have to go custom?

is safe enough to wrap the bars with foam for street duty or are overheads still not safe?

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
rear seat usable - you mean like to put a small cooler/bag and not a person right?

hahahah

does the parallel bar for the shoulder harness being face level just make it too unsafe for occupants or is there another factor im missing?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
C67EEA39-0499-4161-B8A9-9314088A4BD6-2368-0000009F0D972CED_zps7298c847.jpg

You can still get people back there ... That's if they want to sit back there

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would have to think that it would just be unsafe for any normal sized adult even if it was padded. Maybe a kid seat if you fell like trying to snake your kid through all that to mount him/her but idunno. I would throw a seat delete there and enjoy the new storage space.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea it's fine for kids but my buddy smacked his head off the main hoop once ever since that I've only had like 8 -10 year old kids back there cousins and stuff and my old bosses kid and stuff like that

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
so what about the rally side bars, anyone running that sort of a cage? i don't want a halo in a street car but some rally bars would be nice for t bone situations.

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
Those look pretty substantial. I'd like overheads that run from the hoop to the dash, the side bars i had seen and really liked were lower, it was two of them close together parallel with the door sill

thoughts?

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Nobody is going to offer a rally style roll cage kit for the SN95 mustang. The Bolt in roll cage kits for our cars mount to paper thin floor pan so those are not the hot set up. For what you want, custom is the way to go.

Custom world challenge cage for the Sn95 mustang. Roof has to come off during the install to put it all in.
s_1f.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
First thing I would ask is, what is the purpose of the cage you want? Or what do you need it?

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
That would challenge cage looks savage.

I don't really need one as far qualifying for any events, any hills climbs or open road races etc i'll probably enter in stock classes so it's really just for peace of mind and a little extra insurance on the street and the occasional event entrance.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I added mine because my car will need it for the 1/4 thus year plus they look cool

RichV

Reaction score
I know we've discussed cages on street cars before, and I think if you're not wearing a helmet, a cage can do more harm then good.

But back to the actual use of a cage, the sanctioning body of what you will be running under can deem your cage not legal based on what you choose. Like if you have a drag cage and do a SCCA event, it may not pass tech and you'll be sitting out. Vice versa for a road cage at a drag strip. So, just something to note.

Passengers in the back seat are obviously a no-no from a safety perspective, you can knock their teeth out just from a hard stop.

I would much rather do some subframe connectors and some bolt on chassis stiffening than install a cage in a driver.

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
what about a hoop for a little roll over insurance and harnesses?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online