Likely hp gains with a supercharger?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
‘95 Snake with a 5.0; stock drivetrain as far as I know; stock heads as far as I know. Aftermarket exhaust, CAI, PMI distributor and coil.

what superchargers have you all used, particularly those with positive results? I’m looking into Vortech (they are also nearby in Oxnard), but that’s not the main reason!

Recent dyno numbers are: 350 at the flywheel and 260rwhp

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its hard to tell with the dist and coil thrown into the equation :) but there is no way you are near 350 with the mods listed. Even after a supercharger with the mods listed you might get near 350.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
But besides those detals, I do have a vortech V3 on mine but its on on the street yet. V3 is nice because its self oiling and you do not have to tap the oil pan for a line. Vortech has been making these systems since they were nearly new and tuners know enough about them to make them nice on the street and track. The instructions make it easy enough for an average DIY'er to install but you can count on a tune after.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dyno can’t tell you the actual crank power unless you have your motor on a engine dyno. They can guesstimate and that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94IVGT

Reaction score
I've ran my v2 s trim on my 94 for years, most it has made is 690rwhp and blew headgaskets. But it ran at 553rwph for years with no issues.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've ran my v2 s trim on my 94 for years, most it has made is 690rwhp and blew headgaskets. But it ran at 553rwph for years with no issues.
I am guessing that if the stock heads were on it that they might have had a little bit of work done to them.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I agree that the estimated crank HP is way off, but 260 RWHP (corrected) is probably (could be?) accurate for your setup. Mine with a Trickflow U/L, Steeda #19 cam, GT40P heads, and 1.6 rockers made 272 at the wheels. Adding a V2 SQ blower at 10 PSI (and supporting mods), the car now produces 400 RWHP and 375 LbFt torque.

I'm posting this from my phone, so I'm not sure if my sig will show up, but there's a link on it to a full mod sheet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I knew! The guy I bought it from had next to no info on the engine mods, other than throttle body, exhaust and the (now defunct) supercharger.
I know nothing of the bottom end or the heads. I’ll get a dyno sheet when I pick the car up and actually see what the numbers are.
But right now I’m really anxious to get it back and finally be able to drive it!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Did he do the work on the car himself? Because if you do you know the details even if they are a bit foggy after time but it sounds like you have a cobra with an intake/exhaust and minor ignition work. They came stock with 240 hp with those mods you could pick up another 20 hp or so at the crank but then there is the drivetrain loss that gets subtracted before it goes to the wheels.

If I were you I would not worry about the dyno sheet and concentrate on the few details he has to give so you know what you have. That is unless he legitimately tries to tell you its making 350 and he has the sheet to prove it because at that point I would be seriously conflicted if I would but because you know he is lying to you if he says he took it to the dyno. If he does ask if he has the receipt to prove the day/time it was ran so you can contact the place and ask them if they tuned a cobra.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll know soon enough and once I do, I’ll chime back in and let you know!

Cheers!

TrickVert

Reaction score
After re-reading your first post, I have to agree that 260 at the wheels is probably optimistic as well. Remember, dynamometers can be adjusted to show any HP reading the operator wants it to spit out. (It will also provide inaccurate data if the operator doesn't know what he's doing.)

tvsn95

Reaction score
just as some comparison, I installed and tuned a W351 with an old Novi 2000. made 8lbs boost.
Didn't have a dyno but but calculated 570 flywheel, running out of fuel @5800. if the clutch would lock it would break everything in the drive train. LOL
fun car

JavorM1

Reaction score
I'm making 371 hp to the wheels with a conservative tune and the below bolt ons.

5.0 stock bottom end 147000 mi
GT40 heads with a little porting
GT40/Cobra intake with a little porting on the lower
BBK 65mm throttle body
Trick Flow stage 1 cam
1.7 cobra roller rockers
60lb injectors
340 Stealth pump
B2600 MAF
Vortech V3
AODE

Chenn2389

Reaction score
But besides those detals, I do have a vortech V3 on mine but its on on the street yet. V3 is nice because its self oiling and you do not have to tap the oil pan for a line. Vortech has been making these systems since they were nearly new and tuners know enough about them to make them nice on the street and track. The instructions make it easy enough for an average DIY'er to install but you can count on a tune after.

did you get your v3 running yet? I’m interested in running one with my 331.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you get your v3 running yet? I’m interested in running one with my 331.
yes, just long enough to discover that the stock 25 yr old trans does not like the added power. Its not dead yet but makin some noise so I have a t56 planned.

Chenn2389

Reaction score
W
yes, just long enough to discover that the stock 25 yr old trans does not like the added power. Its not dead yet but makin some noise so I have a t56 planned.
Was your T5 fresh? I overhauled mine news bearings, sliders, carbon synchros, seals, n tail-shaft bushing. I only paid like 600$ I think. Is it worth selling it while it’s fresh and not installed?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
W

Was your T5 fresh? I overhauled mine news bearings, sliders, carbon synchros, seals, n tail-shaft bushing. I only paid like 600$ I think. Is it worth selling it while it’s fresh and not installed?
it was very fresh, back in late 1993 when we brought it home. But no its one of the few original parts on the car now with close to 100k on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online