lincoln mk8 engine.

copmagnet

Reaction score
I'm looking at a lincoln mk8 engine for 500, all details from seller are its in great shape, low miles..

I'm tempted to go buy it and get a cobra intake and throw it in my 96GT.

If I go get this motor, what all will be needed to put a cobra intake on it? should I make it a stroker? like, stroke it to a 5.1l? sorry if this seems out of the blue or retarded, I'm not a super car guy, but i'm trying to get there. only 17, but I have been building motors for two years now.

thanks for the help

-copmagnet

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, what are you going to put it in?

also, as long as youre using a 96-98 cobra intake manifold, it shouldnt be hard at all. i suggest IMRC deletes while you're there to simplify the swap. if you can get the OEM IMRCs to work, more power to ya!

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
I was planning forged rods, pistons, cranks, port polish heads, cobra intake, and down the road get blown.

*edit* I was planing irmc deletes.

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
into my 96GT. my final goals are really just to have a nice, badass reliable motor. for now, N/A is fine, i'm only looking for 320ish HP, but I want the option to add FI down the road.

I have both 4.6liter engine and how to rebuild 4.6/5.4 from barness and noble, both very helpfull, but some of the math I don't quite understand. compression ratio was a little bleh to me.

what would I need to hit a 10.1 compression ratio with this motor?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
hm, i'd look into what kind of computer compatability issues youll run into.

i mean, it has an aluminum block, which is good. and B heads, which are good. for $500.00 i'd just throw it in and troubleshoot all the bugs out. then its ready to come out for overhaul/boost/n2o whenever....

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OEM comp ratio was 9.8:1, so hitting 10.1:1 shouldnt be too difficult, also, you'll want a low compression set up to run boost application later on. FYI.

i'd do a low compression set up if youre going to rebuild it. that way you can run low-grade fuel (save$$) before you get a blower, and no need for a rebuild after the blower.

of course you can always use race-gas if you keep it 10.1... lol.

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
OEM comp ratio was 9.8:1, so hitting 10.1:1 shouldnt be too difficult, also, you'll want a low compression set up to run boost application later on. FYI.

i'd do a low compression set up if youre going to rebuild it. that way you can run low-grade fuel (save$$) before you get a blower, and no need for a rebuild after the blower.

of course you can always use race-gas if you keep it 10.1... lol.

well, I'm only 17, so the blower will be so far down the line, I don't even know if this motor will still be around, so, I think its safe to say this will be a n/A only motor.

what kind of HP would I be pushing with port polish, forged internals, and 9.8:1 compression? how are the cams in those lincolns? i remember hearing there less agressive then cobra cams, but, with cobra cams costing 1K+....i can settle for 20hp less..

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Intake setup, which I just sold, Either headers, or manifolds which I still have. I'd just buy a COP swap harness, that much easier to swap it over. Throttle cable, tune to delete alot of things. Radiator hoses, crossover tube, and alot of little specific stuff. I'm in the process of a C swap, so I'm experiencing the difference between all of these parts.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, I'm only 17, so the blower will be so far down the line, I don't even know if this motor will still be around, so, I think its safe to say this will be a n/A only motor.

what kind of HP would I be pushing with port polish, forged internals, and 9.8:1 compression? how are the cams in those lincolns? i remember hearing there less agressive then cobra cams, but, with cobra cams costing 1K+....i can settle for 20hp less..

290 base (OEM) from factory
@ 9.8:1 CR (OEM) = 290 HP
+ P&P heads = 300-310HP
+ forged internals = most likely wont make a change

as for cams, from what i understand the cams are indeed different from the 96-98 cobra cams, as well as the valve springs. i am assuming (based on power output) that they are indeed less aggressive.

+ stroker = i cant really help you on that. ive never seen a stroked (without a blower) 96-98 cobra or lincoln.... sorry, amigo.

massacre

Reaction score
What year MarkVIII motor is it?

The '95s are notorious for breaking valve springs, no other model year seems to have this problem.
Gen I Mark = coil packs & wires. Gen II Mark = COP ignition.
Used '96-'98 Cobra cams can be had for under $200.

The 2V PCM can run the 4V with a tune, just need to extend some wires for a couple sensors.

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
It is a 98mk8, and I was wrong, it has 155K miles...not so sure its worth the 500 now..or is it? I really like all the help guys, really making mme feel welcome.

the info you guys are giving me plus what I want to do, I think I will build this as a cobra motor, linkoln shortblock(possible forged internals, depending on current condition) cobra cams(if I can find them for around 2-3) irmc delete plates from MMR, and a cobra intake from ebay (400) and long tube headers, so I'm looking at about 2000 for all the parts, and maybe an additional 800 for new pistons, fluids, and misc parts.

in your guys opinion, is this a good idea? do I need to beef up my tranny? what about suspension, I'm looking at dropping it with steeda springs and CC plates, then getting new shocks and struts. will this be enough to handle the extra weight and power of this motor?

@ steven-I am keeping in mind what you said, no worries, I'm not ignoring you.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i'd do it for 500 if the motor looks okay, but i'd also just chuck the thing into the car without doing much modification, as well. lol.

as for suspesnion: what are you building teh car for? what are your final goals? DD, autox, drag only, etc etc etc.?

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
mainly DD, maybe some autocross, and the occassional drag at the track(I love to go fast, but my insurance company doesnt care...)

so, the suspension I was looking at arent anything huge. just something fresh for my car.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
when i did my 4v swap, i just used 04 cobra bilstiens up front, 04 cobra compatable springs, and supporting parts to those. suspension has alot of math and information that i dont fully understand, so i just had to ball park it until i can get a better grasp on it. do your best to match your spring rates to your struts.

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
I'll see if I cant talk to AM about the springs and stuff before I get this motor together and in.

anything ibvious I'm missing or forgetting?

Slykin

Reaction score
I'd just like to pop in and mention that a call to Maximum Motorsports would get you headed in the right direction suspension-wise. They make great products and I hear they are really helpful with info.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
If staying n/a and motor is in good shape I would go this route...
-Cobra intake, if possible try to buy a shortrunner intake. Check the forums for them, I've seen 2 for sale in the last week.
-IMRC deletes made out of stock IMRC plates (MMR's are around $220), use industrial JB weld and thoroughly clean them before JB welding them shut. I did mine like this 3 years ago.
-Cobra cams degreed, can be had for $200-$300 on svtperformance.com, corral.net, mach1registry.com
-Longtubes
-Tune
-Use stock gt harness
-March fluid dampner

This should get you 305-315hp tuned.

BTW, don't bother porting the B heads since this will most likely only hurt performance since the intake ports are already huge as it is. The heads could benefit from the area behind the intake valves being worked over to try to gain more intake air velocity, also the exhaust port should be ported since its a choke point in the heads...just don't port the intake ports.

OP
OP
C

copmagnet

Reaction score
if I go get these heads ported, is there a numerical value on how much to port? like...20/.30 over? or can i just walk in and say, hey! I need the exhaust port port and polished?

BTW, I dig your exhaust man, what pipes are those?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt