Looking for a track car (and the winner is...)

RichV

Reaction score
Edited this post a little since it changed route. I'm going to be instructing with NASA this season and I'd like a street legal car to run TT and use for teaching. Needs to survive track sessions, brake, handle, and run hard in the straights. Looking at Foxes, SNs, maybe even some 197s.

I'm looking at a 97 GT for a track car, but thinking a s/c may get some more power easily for a fun factor. It's a NPI stocker now.

Looking not to spend a lot, so what are the best options? Since the 4.6 is not quite my for-tee. I'd love to just do a KB, but the cost will probably put that out of my option list. I'd just want like 300-350 reliable HP, low boost, and make it live on a road course.

Any thoughts?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
PI swap + comp cams + exhaust = 300-350 hp for around $1000.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that n/a power is the best way to go on a road course. Maybe you can get H/C/I?

Boost is fine on a road course - I've seen plenty of Audi's, Subie's, Evo's, not to mention F1's back in the day before turbos were banned, etc. etc. etc. And they all haul ass. The trick is heat management. If the car is setup to handle the additional load of a boosted engine, it's all gravy. So nothing wrong with boosted options. You probably heard that because of folks that took a non-boosted car, slapped on some boost, didn't manage all the other aspects required to support boost, and ran into issues.

RichV - for cheap, it might be worth looking into HCI. Personally, I'm a fan of the boost but it's difficult to make a non-boosted car track reliable. If boosted, I've always liked the idea of the available power from a KB, but as you say, they are pricey. I'm not sure how the cooling on the mod motors is, but I know that my 95 5.0, even with the upgraded cooling, will tend to run warmish, and that's with a pretty low whp figure. So if you decide to boost make sure the cooling is up to the task, which may be a hidden cost?

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I'm expecting the cooling to be an issue. Big radiator has to go in regardless.

HCI on a mod motor = PITA, all those chains and other parts. :) Will the NPI respond well to boost?

I'm probably going to be instructing for NASA this season. Going to take a season off racing. So I'm debating between a GT40 Fox body that's semi built and beat at the same time. Guy wants $2500, 88 GT, MAF conversion, Tremec, subframes, GT40 top end, and a lot of unknowns because he didn't build it. It runs strong but will need about a grand to $1500 to make it handle and brake.

Other option is a semi stock 97 GT. It has that funky copper color which is kinda cool. Car has a few issues, but he claims it runs and drives fine. It could probably go on track for a little cheaper, guy is asking $2700.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4251510462.html
00808_aSMUqe9v6ta_600x450.jpg

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4261640374.html
00D0D_7UIv3G16rQS_600x450.jpg

I need something that has 2 seats and will probably run it in Time Trials. Instructing will take most of my time during a weekend so it may go out 3 sessions only.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Vortech is the best bet intercool it if you like and setup for blow through do a pi intake swap and it will easily make 350rwhp at only 8#'s

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would say go for the 97, but only because of the chassis improvements. The 88 looks like more fun though :)

ProKiller

Reaction score
the sn95 is a better suspension platform and the fact that it's autumn orange is a huge plus for me.

as far as boost on the fox, you'll have to run a procharger to really get an intercooler as a bolt in. 4.6, any centrifugal can have one. KB or other twin screw designs will have higher heat loads because they use a heat exchanger rather than a true intercooler. you're limited to the physical footprint of the block/blower area.

V8RUMBL

Reaction score
PI swap + comp cams + exhaust = 300-350 hp for around $1000.
meh. i did a pi swap in my old 97 and it took a 75 wet shot to make 320 rwhp and 400 tq. id think that hp you quoted is a bit high and the price a bit low. plus, its a pain in the balls with all the work associated.

if it were me, id throw on a used vortech, intercool it, and call it a day.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
meh. i did a pi swap in my old 97 and it took a 75 wet shot to make 320 rwhp and 400 tq. id think that hp you quoted is a bit high and the price a bit low. plus, its a pain in the balls with all the work associated.

if it were me, id throw on a used vortech, intercool it, and call it a day.

PI swap with regular PI cams? Note that I said with comp cams, such as the XE270AH, and I also wasn't talking rwhp. I think it's definitely achievable.

However Musturd is right. A vortech kit with a PI intake to get rid of the restriction will get you around 350.
97stanger made 370rwph with a PI intake, cams, and a blower iirc.

V8RUMBL

Reaction score
PI swap with regular PI cams? Note that I said with comp cams, such as the XE270AH, and I also wasn't talking rwhp. I think it's definitely achievable.

However Musturd is right. A vortech kit with a PI intake to get rid of the restriction will get you around 350.
97stanger made 370rwph with a PI intake, cams, and a blower iirc.
so 560 for the cams give or take, then you need the heads and intake and an exhaust and all for a grand? i dont think thats going to be realistic. i used the pi cams pi intake, mac cia and dynomax mufflers with a catless x pipe. it was good for 260ish to the wheels. those parts were almost 2k though and took a crapload of time to install. the pi swap was a *****.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Thanks for for all the responses. Looks like the 97 is sold. :( but I'm still looking.

Whats wrong with the current car?

#71 is a purpose built race car. No passenger seat, cage, not street legal. I want something that can be driven on the street and take on track for teaching purpose as well as a TT car.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yep gotta agree with Kyle, intercooled Vortech is the easiest cheapest way to get you to 350 Rich. You could even go for 400 for about the same cost should you want to (which at some point doesn't everyone want mo powa? lol)

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for for all the responses. Looks like the 97 is sold. :( but I'm still looking.

#71 is a purpose built race car. No passenger seat, cage, not street legal. I want something that can be driven on the street and take on track for teaching purpose as well as a TT car.

Get a used EVO ;)

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I can build 4 track Mustangs for the cost of one EVO, and I don't think they are all that cool. $20K+ for a 2003!! :)

chris91

Reaction score
Ive been seeing so many 96-98's for dirt cheap lately. Im sure you can find another. Definitely vortech it and youll be happy.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Keep looking and find one that already was PI swapped. Most that I see for sale have some brake and suspension work too and usually cheap.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
So I drove a PI swapped 97 today.

00l0l_6AhS3LPplSn_600x450.jpg

I gotta say that sucker ran hard!! It had a few odds and ends, tuner, comp cams, gears, CAI, etc. I was impressed, the 4.6 has never been my thing. It had a couple of issues, but the motor is NEW. Kid's dad showed me receips of everything and they put about $6800 in the motor alone. With complete rebuild, a new set of PI heads, cams, tranny, clutch, and install. Sounds like the kid got busted and dad is recouping some costs he has in the car.

Driving it reminded me how bad the stock suspension and brakes suck balls. But what do you guys think? $4500 asking. Not sure about the purple, but it's actually pretty clean. Oh and all you guys that swing nuts on the MGW shifter, it felt a little funky. And vibrated a lot, is this normal? I would hope not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online