Lowering Suspension?

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by CasperGT, Mar 4, 2014.

1. CasperGT

CasperGT Member

1995 Mustang GT Automatic Convertible 95k miles

Hey I have a quick suspension question?

I am looking to lower my car as my first real mod. I wanted to know first if coil-overs basically replace the lowering springs? Like what is the difference between springs and coil-overs? I also wanted to know what coil-overs are a for my mustang for a daily driver and as an aggressive driver. I want to get at least 2.5"+ drop on front and rear of my car. Please send me links of good coil-over kits. So far I like this one.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/srperformance-coilover-7994.html

Thank you!!!!

2. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

the difference is with the coilover the spring is mounted over the strut. the kit you buy will come with a threaded sleeve, spring pearch, etc that you will put on over your strut. You will probably have to modify the strut so keep that in mind. The main difference between daily driver and something more aggressive is the spring rate. Keep in mind you have to match spring rates front to rear and also match them with the struts you choose. I have the Maximum Motorsports coilover kit and I'm pleased with the quality. I have coil overs up front and rear springs with adjustable lower control arms. it's thought that rear coilovers aren't really necessary for street cars.

Edit: looks like the one you linked already come with everything assembled, that's another way to go. Not sure on the quality of that stuff though.

3. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

I've seen the SR coilover kit on AM's site. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole until someone else spends the money and is the test dummy for all of us waiting to buy it lol. I'd wait for some reviews, just my 2 cents though.

4. 5-oh-MUSTANG

5-oh-MUSTANG Well-Known Member

1. Its a bit on the soft side for daily driving and you'll prolly be bouncing around
    2. You dont have much room for adjustment only 1-3" which is nothing
    3. SR makes Stuts and Shocks? lol

5. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

Don't buy a coilover kit that already has a spring rate picked out. Put together a kit with what you need, not what a company thinks you want.

MM, Strange, UPR are all good kits. It all depends on how much money you want to spend, but either of those kits will be fine for a street car.
    Try and keep the spring rate over 250lbs for a daily.

6. Win

Win Legend

Yeah put one together.

I chose H&R race springs from a 99-04 Cobra and Steeda Comp rears. I am going H&R super race in the rear and 4 point as I hope to try out autocross this summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Michael Plummer

Michael Plummer Active Member

When selecting spring rates as it was mentioned you have to match the front with your rears. Your vehicle weight will also factor in how much spring rate you'll need. A 3600lb vehicle with you in it, a 300lb front spring rate is considered soft but it will drive & feel smooth, along with improved handling. As far as picking struts and shocks, I tend to lean to companies that cater to road racing vs. drag racing. Koni, Tokico D-Spec, Bilstein

Now your ride quality will improve with a coil-over vs. the traditional strut and spring setup and the difference is noticeable. As for the rear as it was mentioned above not really needed for a street car but you'll need a lower control arm with adjustable perch to adjust ride height. I would send Maximum Motorsport tech an email and ask for their opinion because there is a lot of things (sway bar, K-member, A-arms, chassis stiffness, etc.) to consider when doing this.

8. mcglsr2

mcglsr2 Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

+1. I did just that and they helped me pick out my coilovers. Great guys to work with.

9. CasperGT

CasperGT Member

lol well since you (IMO) are the best with the stance game lol. What is a good setup for a 3"+ drop for my mustang? Something cheap yet REALLY good? And I already have Bilstein suspesion.

1995 Mustang GT Automatic Convertible 95k miles

10. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

If you have Bilsteins, go with the Maximum Motorsports kit (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Mustang-Coil-Over-Kit-with-Springs-Front-Bilstein-Struts-P506.aspx)
    It's the best bang for your buck since you don't have to get new struts. Try buying a used kit on the corral if you wanna save some money.

If you want to drop it around 3" you'll be fine with a 12" spring. Any lower and you might want to go with a 10" like myself.
    And based on your original post, for daily driving + the occasional fun, I'd aim towards a 300-350# spring rate for the fronts and about 100 less for the rears (which is what is advertised by mm)

PS; Thanks! But I'm always 1 step behind in the stance game lol.

11. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

I'm dropped about 3" in the front with 250lbx12" springs

12. CasperGT

CasperGT Member

so this setup
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Mustang-Coil-Over-Kit-with-Springs-Front-Bilstein-Struts-P506.aspx
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/C...Shocks-rear-1979-04-Mustang-non-IRS-P508.aspx

will give me about a 3" drop front and rear

13. Alchemy Will

Alchemy Will New Member

BC Racing coils cranked all the way down till the frame rails rub.

14. Win

Win Legend

You need to see what us Vert Guys are running. It's got different weight then a Coupe up front.

I dont see see how his is 3" when mine rides almost identical appearance. I can only fit 1 finger between my tire and fender. The spring I used was rumored 1.6-1.75 and then I don't have upper or lower ISO's so I highly doubt mine is 3" .