Mail order tune or Dyno?

kvoriley

Reaction score
Question, I'm about finish my pi engine swap with comp 270s in my 97 GT, I would like to get it dyno tuned, but I'm not sure if that's necessary yet, as I'm going to adding a few things in the future such as long tubes and other bolt ons. Would getting a mail order tune be just as good until I decide to get it dyno tuned? I was given a free bama SCT tuner, but its locked... So either way I have to pay the 150 to get it unlocked... What do you guys think?

nightfire

Reaction score
Dyno tuning is always the better option, but its all about the guy doing the tuning

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Weather or not you favor dyno or another method, its best to meet the tuner in person and let them work on the car in person.

Don't do the bama crap...

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Fans of South Park will get it.

Plus the OP has 270s, Bama doesn't tune for cams anyway so that option is out. Custom tune is what I'd do. Start calling local tuners and see what they can do.

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score
What kind of cash would I need to have for a tune usually? I know no one has an exact number but a good guesstimate from those who have had there cars tuned would be nice lol

nightfire

Reaction score
Mail order tunes usually cost around $100. Custom dyno tuning costs around $450. A lot of that has to do with the dyno itself. Dyno shops charge by the hour and a tuner will take as long as it takes to get the tune right. The tuner himself doesn't make that much, it mostly goes to the shop for "renting" the dyno.

But remember, you get what you pay for.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
dyno is generally more reliable since it can read the real world parameters for your car at that moment. But with the dyno there is also a risk. Sometimes they go, sometimes they blow........ I will only do a dyno myself.

Addermk2

Reaction score
dyno is generally more reliable since it can read the real world parameters for your car at that moment. But with the dyno there is also a risk. Sometimes they go, sometimes they blow........ I will only do a dyno myself.

When was the last time you saw someone driving on a dyno to go to work? Dyno tuning is great and all, because the car is stationary while being tuned, however... it is not accurate to "real world" conditions. Running a car on the dyno is NOTORIOUSLY harder on drivetrain components than even drag racing. To that end, it is easy to overload the car during tuning.

The absolute BEST method for tuning is real application datalogging. If you're building a drag car... logging 1/4 mile pulls will always result in the best tune. If its a road course car, taking logs around the track will find those tip in inconsistencies during throttle transition that a dyno tune will NEVER find.

Dyno Tuning is a snake oil that has been sold to automotive enthusiasts. Sadly, most of you believe in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online