MM Torque Arm & Panhard Bar ancillaries

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone running the Maximum MotorSports solid rear axle combo of Torque Arm/Panhard Bar/Rear Sway Bar kit?

I just ordered all 3 components and asked Chuck, the MM tech support guy, if I should get the matching MM rear springs. He said my existing springs from the Eibach Pro-Plus are fine. And to wait, drive it and see if understeer is still an issue (or was it oversteer? Too early and haven’t had my coffee yet!).

So, long way around a short couple of questions:
1. Shouldn’t I just go ahead and get the springs that we’re specifically engineered for this set up?; and
2. Shouldn’t I also get the matching shocks?

Thanks for the help, advice and feedback! Cheers!

badass98svt

Reaction score
Why I would do is listen to MM, they know what they're doing.

I run the MM PHB and absolutely love it. It pretty much eliminated most of my oversteer. The car just feels more solid and planted.
If your car needs shocks anyway, go ahead and grab them, but may as well match them up front too.
I run coilovers up front

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I have just about everything they offer and you’re in for a treat. Be warned, it will add some NVH to the cabin but it’s worth it.

Like @badass98svt suggested, those guys know their shit and will have you on the right path.

The “roll rate” difference you’re about to experience by switching from the four control arm “Quadra-bind” setup to the TA/PHB is going to really open your eyes. Once you get it sorted, you’re going to have so much rear grip that the front will need work. Consider upgrading your lower control arms to have a stiffer bushing. Ask MM about it. You also need to reinforce your lower torque boxes.

If you’re going to add the adjustable rear sway bar to the mix you’ll really enjoy being able to fine tune the setup.

1. & 2. Yes. Matching the springs to the shocks with ensure you don’t have excessive roll and brake dive.

Reaction score
almost everyone runs this stuff. lots of info out there and mm is good for their price point. cant beat them. however if you have all the money then griggs, cortex, kenny brown, theyre the ones with the best shit

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
If you're going to change the shocks & struts, I would highly recommend installing an adjustable set. Adjustable shocks & struts allow you to compensate for the other mods you've made, dial in/out understeer/oversteer, and they let you soften up the ride when you want. Most non-adjustable aftermarket shocks & struts are stiffer than stock. If your shocks & struts are too stiff, you won't be able to get the full benefits of your other suspension upgrades.

The more adjustability you have in the car, the better it will handle.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you're going to change the shocks & struts, I would highly recommend installing an adjustable set. Adjustable shocks & struts allow you to compensate for the other mods you've made, dial in/out understeer/oversteer, and they let you soften up the ride when you want. Most non-adjustable aftermarket shocks & struts are stiffer than stock. If your shocks & struts are too stiff, you won't be able to get the full benefits of your other suspension upgrades.

The more adjustability you have in the car, the better it will handle.

I will echo this and I’ll be updating to adjustable dampers eventually.

almost everyone runs this stuff. lots of info out there and mm is good for their price point. cant beat them. however if you have all the money then griggs, cortex, kenny brown, theyre the ones with the best shit

:cool:

9C75799B-958F-4A6C-B456-2C4B46F984A5.jpeg

Snorky

Reaction score
The rear grip far over powered my front end grip so i remedied it by swapping out my front eibach sway bar back to factory for a bit more front end articulation and that seemed to help out. Adding slightly stickier tires to the front end as well so that should also help out. Driving my buddies car which has the LCAs and panhard bar to my LCA/PHB/TQarm setup is night and day. It feels like a big difference with just the panhard bar, adding the tq arm blows that setup out of the water.

As stated, yes. NVH does increase.

joe65

Reaction score
good info. here from these guys. I keep putting off getting the phb for my street car. i just need to do it this year.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Questions/Updates:
1. For the rear suspension, what type(NA, SA or DA) shock would be best given the 3 components that are going on? I have an order in for the MM rear springs that are engineered to go with their torque arm but it’s on back order forever now. I also have on the same order Bilstein heavy duty NA rear shocks but I’m thinking I should cancel them and go with the Koni’s on all 4 corners. But which Koni, the yellow or the SRT reds?

2. I finally found a competent local shop to do the install. Soonest appointment I could get is 5/20, so I scheduled it. Time wise, it’ll probably end up ok given the back ordered stuff from MM.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Would front and rear coil overs help? I would consider converting if worth it.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Honestly, email MM and ask them what they recommend. You're not going to get better advice then straight from the source. They are very knowledgeable and happy to help.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, email MM and ask them what they recommend. You're not going to get better advice then straight from the source. They are very knowledgeable and happy to help.
Badass,
Been up since 3:00am making a 2-pg list of what I have of theirs and what would work/what I’d need, funny you should mention!!

I’ve spoken with them plenty in the past and you’re right, they are extremely helpful. For a while I felt like I was bothering them too much! But I can attest as well as you that they are always willing to help and steer you in the right direction for your needs. Truth.

I will call them in 3 hours, first thing when they get there. Can’t wait!!

Last edited:

weendoggy

Reaction score
Would front and rear coil overs help? I would consider converting if worth it.
Yes! It is much better than stock. Nice thing is adjustability and I'd opt for adjustable shocks, CC plates and PB. I use Koni's SA which are easy to set. I run a rebound only setup, no TA and it handles very well. I also run a tower brace.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got ‘er dun! Just talked to Mike @ MM. My original order is actually shipping out complete today. That being said and having shared with him my intended use for the car, he guided me through the front & rear component combinations to match the rear with the front. So, I ordered the Bilstein struts for the front as well as the coil over conversion kit. Spacers are still at coating, so hopefully in a week or so they’ll be on and there’ll be enough to fill my order, too.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I run the MM coilovers with Bilsteins up front too. It's a great setup. What size and weight spring did he suggest for the coilovers?

I have decided to stay clear of coilovers out back.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I run the MM coilovers with Bilsteins up front too. It's a great setup. What size and weight spring did he suggest for the coilovers?

I have decided to stay clear of coilovers out back.
Wish I had written it down. We were going over everything pretty quickly and I was trying to keep up understanding, but for some reason 275-375lb/in. is stuck in my (feeble!) brain!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online