Motor mounts: Solid vs. Poly....what to buy?

Discussion in 'Suspension and Brakes' started by ElrodKTPQ_89, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Legend

As some of you know I'm getting parts together for a front suspension rebuild. So far I have an MM K member, tokico Illumina struts with an MM coilover kit (10" 325lb. springs), MM cc plates, aluminum rack bushings and still plan on getting MM non-offset a arms. All I have left other than that is to decide on motor mounts. The solid mounts are a lot cheaper but I'm not sure if I want them or if I should shell out some extra money for polyurethane mounts. I plan on going to some autoX events next year but other than that it'll still be a weekend street car that handles good. So are solid mounts a little too much for a street driven car?

2. evilcw311

evilcw311 Most Evil Mod! Staff Member Staff

Mine will be solid. 1)gives my Windsor a lil drop 2) no flex means more torque applied to rears 3) mine will be a weekend toy and autox car so I won't mind that extra nvh

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

3. evilcw311

And they won't wear out

4. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I put mm solids in mine. It has nice lumpy cams I. It and after its running I plan to drive it every chance I get. I would go solid and not look back.

5. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I've always thought poly was the way to go for street cars.

6. Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6 Well-Known Member

Guess it depends on how much street driving you do.

The difference is def. noticeable.

7. hotmustang95

hotmustang95 Active Member

I had my polys for years. Recently went to solids only because the heat from the headers was starting to melt the top portions of the poly. I didn't realize how much vibration the polys hide compared to the solids now.

8. ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89 Legend

I will still wind up doing a pretty good bit of street driving. Ive never been in a vehicle with any kind of solid mounts or bushings either so I don't really know what to expect.

9. Michael Plummer

Michael Plummer Active Member

I had solid engine mounts on my street car for 2 days and that was 2 days to long. Street car = poly or stock OEM.

10. mineralgreygt

mineralgreygt Member

I've got solids in my 02 can't even tell until i romp on it, the modular engines are very well balanced

11. Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6 Well-Known Member

lol

12. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

You will feel a difference from the stock rubber to poly, and a huge difference from poly to solid. At least in my experience.

13. evilcw311

Just go solid and let you wife enjoy the ride from the passenger seat!!!! :)

I use to do a lot of stereo work on Harley's and those guys always talked about how their women loved how much that back seat would vibrate!!!

Then one guy told me how the jap bike owners were buying these devices to make their back seat rumble like that and I thought they were crazy till someone actually came in and asked if we could install one for them.

Kinda of looked like the aura bass shakers people use to put under the seats in their cars so they could feel the bass in the seat.

14. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

^ Wow

15. B.mad

B.mad Well-Known Member Preferred Vendor

I daily drive my car and i have solid motor mounts and a poly tranny mount. I do not have a cam, but i do have some minor bolt ons. Honestly, the NVH isnt even bad. I honestly felt no difference, only when i reallly rev the car. When i go past 4k, my mirrors shake badly, but that might be unrelated. I say solid. I dont understand people that hate solids, but they might be a little more sensitive than I. x)

16. white95

white95 Apex Junky Admin

I've had Energy Suspension poly motors/trans mounts (you have to upgrade BOTH at the same time) since 2006
    on three different motors and have had great luck with them. They definitely tightened things up over the rubber junk and you can really feel the cam at idle. I wouldn't run solids unless you need to drop the engine, which you don't. Also, offset rack bushings increase bump steer, so if they were on your list- cross them off..

17. JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz Well-Known Member

I also have poly's (energy suspension) they almost needed no break in time compared to non-brand polys. I can't even imagine going solid for a street car. Only experience I had was with a turbo integra years ago that I took a ride in. The car shooked so bad that I couldn't wait to get back out of it. One thing that was a pro was while your accelerating you feel the power of the car more but that is about it.

-Nate

18. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Solids all the way! My cams loped, car shook, and had driving vibration till 2000rpm. From there up, smooth sailing! Even the dyno guy complimented how balanced the engine felt. Said "the engine just stayed there"

19. B.mad

B.mad Well-Known Member Preferred Vendor

Eh. As of now i feel no difference in terms of comfort with my combo. Maybe i will check back when i cam it.

20. duh09

duh09 Legend

I ran solid mounts on my 95 because I was broke as a joke at the time. Honestly didn't notice much of a NVH increase as my original mounts were SHOT. Also my car was gutted so I don't know if I'm a good judge on NVH much because I didn't mind it. Daily drove it for quite a few months gutted and would do it again.