Motor mounts: Solid vs. Poly....what to buy?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
As some of you know I'm getting parts together for a front suspension rebuild. So far I have an MM K member, tokico Illumina struts with an MM coilover kit (10" 325lb. springs), MM cc plates, aluminum rack bushings and still plan on getting MM non-offset a arms. All I have left other than that is to decide on motor mounts. The solid mounts are a lot cheaper but I'm not sure if I want them or if I should shell out some extra money for polyurethane mounts. I plan on going to some autoX events next year but other than that it'll still be a weekend street car that handles good. So are solid mounts a little too much for a street driven car?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mine will be solid. 1)gives my Windsor a lil drop 2) no flex means more torque applied to rears 3) mine will be a weekend toy and autox car so I won't mind that extra nvh

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I put mm solids in mine. It has nice lumpy cams I. It and after its running I plan to drive it every chance I get. I would go solid and not look back.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Guess it depends on how much street driving you do.

The difference is def. noticeable.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
I had my polys for years. Recently went to solids only because the heat from the headers was starting to melt the top portions of the poly. I didn't realize how much vibration the polys hide compared to the solids now.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I will still wind up doing a pretty good bit of street driving. Ive never been in a vehicle with any kind of solid mounts or bushings either so I don't really know what to expect.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I had solid engine mounts on my street car for 2 days and that was 2 days to long. Street car = poly or stock OEM.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You will feel a difference from the stock rubber to poly, and a huge difference from poly to solid. At least in my experience.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just go solid and let you wife enjoy the ride from the passenger seat!!!! :)

I use to do a lot of stereo work on Harley's and those guys always talked about how their women loved how much that back seat would vibrate!!!

Then one guy told me how the jap bike owners were buying these devices to make their back seat rumble like that and I thought they were crazy till someone actually came in and asked if we could install one for them.

Kinda of looked like the aura bass shakers people use to put under the seats in their cars so they could feel the bass in the seat.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I daily drive my car and i have solid motor mounts and a poly tranny mount. I do not have a cam, but i do have some minor bolt ons. Honestly, the NVH isnt even bad. I honestly felt no difference, only when i reallly rev the car. When i go past 4k, my mirrors shake badly, but that might be unrelated. I say solid. I dont understand people that hate solids, but they might be a little more sensitive than I. x)

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I've had Energy Suspension poly motors/trans mounts (you have to upgrade BOTH at the same time) since 2006
on three different motors and have had great luck with them. They definitely tightened things up over the rubber junk and you can really feel the cam at idle. I wouldn't run solids unless you need to drop the engine, which you don't. Also, offset rack bushings increase bump steer, so if they were on your list- cross them off..

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I also have poly's (energy suspension) they almost needed no break in time compared to non-brand polys. I can't even imagine going solid for a street car. Only experience I had was with a turbo integra years ago that I took a ride in. The car shooked so bad that I couldn't wait to get back out of it. One thing that was a pro was while your accelerating you feel the power of the car more but that is about it.

-Nate

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Solids all the way! My cams loped, car shook, and had driving vibration till 2000rpm. From there up, smooth sailing! Even the dyno guy complimented how balanced the engine felt. Said "the engine just stayed there"

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Eh. As of now i feel no difference in terms of comfort with my combo. Maybe i will check back when i cam it.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I ran solid mounts on my 95 because I was broke as a joke at the time. Honestly didn't notice much of a NVH increase as my original mounts were SHOT. Also my car was gutted so I don't know if I'm a good judge on NVH much because I didn't mind it. Daily drove it for quite a few months gutted and would do it again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online