Motor oil!!! What kind do you prefer for your pony??

Werecow

Reaction score
Ok time for a throw down!!! What kind of motor oil do you prefer for your pony?? I'll start it off with Motorcraft.. thata6 what I've always preferred to run in my Fords.. next!!!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Castrol full synthetic for performance.
Castrol high mileage for high mileage daily’s
Company truck always gets ford motorcraft synthetic cause that’s what ford uses. I’ll change it to castrol when I start handling the services.

Royal purple is badass along with Mobil 1. Strictly for very high end builds. Might try one of them when I get the new motor going and the big turbo on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Waaaaaaaaayyyy back in the days when I was still learning how to rebuild carbs an shit I used to hang out at this garage in town, free labor for learning the way I looked at it. The main mechanic had his master mechanics cert and worked at a Ford dealership for many many years.. He told me that I think at the time it was Havoline mad the oil for Motorcraft cause they had the bid on it at the time. But it was made to their spec's. He did tell me that one of the spec's that Ford has for their oil is it has to cling to hearing surfaces or in other words be sticky. The most wear you get on your engine is when you crank it those few seconds before it builds full oil pressure. That's why they wanted an oil that was sticky and would cling to the bearings, to provide lubrication and protection to all the moving parts while the pump was building pressure. That was one lesson that he tought me that I've always remembered.. That's why I prefer Motorcraft oils...

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Truck gets Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic.

The red car gets Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic.

The SN95 presently has some O’reilly Auto Parts 5w20 synthetic in it because it was cheap and available. Once it’s put back on the road I will switch to Mobil 1.

All of my vehicles have Motorcraft filters.

Bonus entry:

The crotch rocket has Suzuki Ecstar R9000 10w40 and a Suzuki filter.

Kris5.0

Reaction score
I only use Royal purple full synthetic love it my car loves it and surprisingly get it at a decent price also put in in my truck and other cars too.. hands down the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
On our 86GT, I run s thick as i can get (203k+). Any brand is fine.
On the 96GT (196k car, engine ???), I run 5w30, any brand is fine.

If I ever get a low mileage car, I'd like to run Mobil1, it's really about as good as you can get if you really care abour it. Always was expensive though. Castrol full synthetic is supposed to be a close second from what ive heard. ymmv as always.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
The F150 gets factory ford oil when it goes in for changes. The Terminator will be getting 5W30 Amsoil when I do change it. It was recently done before I got it and still looks really clean

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
After the time and money I have spent on the car I go with the purple crap, 10w-30. On my 2nd real drive yesterday I noticed the oil pressure was dropping to the low 20 lb area once the motor got up to 190 degrees. I am pretty sure that is fine but its been so long since I have paid any attention to the oil pressure for some reason it has me wondering if I have the right weight.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ding Ding Ding, a winner...All this is moot because we all have different motors with different maintaince histories. What is your oil pressure hot at idle and what idle rpm? If I go up 100 rpm my pressure will double.
All BMW M series car are fed 10-60 are they built to a loose tolerance? I don't think so. Ford wants 10-50 in the Coyote. How was your crank bearings set last time rebuild? Did they use 2 different sizes on each crank throw? I don't think so.
Some engines I have made close and high pressure and some have been 10 psi at 600 rpm at idle with 40w. with small bleeders on the roller fingers with stock squirters on the chain tensioners running a 13mm Hurricane oil pump, but it will still hits 100 psi on every start upper 5 minuets.
The base stocks are not all that different you can only start with the few that are available, the difference comes from the additive package and how much you want to pay for the job it is to do. Do you run racing oil? Why not? It is good but you do not need the antifoaming agents on the street. Is your car stock? Not many on this web site are, are you straight line or running in circles? Dinosaur oil changed every 1000 miles will be better than AMSoil at unlimited mileage and 1 year duration because no matter what you use it still gets dirty and full of acids after a year even if the test results come back clear.
My friend flies the number one acrobatic plane in the world, it runs on dyno oil changed every 8 hours and comes without an oil filter to make sure you change it every 8 hours. The engine is rated to 11g's in all directions...thats a crazy built engine.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Castrol GTX cause that's what MMR recommended I use in their builds, and a Motorcraft filter. My F150 gets Whatever the Ford dealership uses cause there's where I take it to get done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001