Moving on or not, decision to be made...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by myk, Sep 6, 2016.

1. myk

myk Member

AGREED. I specified that with the body shops I've talked to so far and of course they didn't really seem to keen on it; they told me it would cost more but as far as I'm concerned it's worth it. I also told them I'd deal with the airbags later.

As for the New Edge, I'm thinking Eibach's Sportlines for a definite drop and reliabile springs. Luckily, I have a leftover CC set from the '98 I never used. Question: are the Sport lines and Eibach products handling parts or are they strictly for looks? I'd give up some drop for a proper spring set. Thanks for the support guys...

2. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

Eibach's products are good for ride quality too. Just remember you pay for what you get. Eibach's inexpensive line wont be as good as their top line.

3. ttocs

ttocs Post Whore

I would have the shop find the core support if its needed and go hit the junk yards yourself for the body parts or like I said get a parts car.

4. myk

myk Member

Well I double-dipped my credit card and ordered the Sportline springs; I'll return the Ford B springs unless someone locally wants them. I will now be able to put my caster/camber plates to use! I'm looking forward to these springs; I hope it's not just a great stance but better handling too.

Honestly I have a feeling that I should just do the work myself. The two body shops I talked to said it themselves: nothing's bent on the car, it's just a matter of part-swapping out the broken pieces. It's just too bad that I don't have the room for all of these vehicles...

5. Nighttrain

If you get rid of some....ehhhhhmmmm f bodies.....taaahhhhdaaa! Room made!

Never ever.........ever........ever get rid of the mopar........ever.
    You gotta elaborate on what you got, hemi car?

6. myk

myk Member

Nothing special, it's just a regular R/T with a 440, 3 speed auto. What I like about it is the full Hotchkis suspension underneath; I swear it handles just as good as my lowered '98 GT. I was SUPPOSED to buy a Jeep steering box conversion to completely modernize the steering system but guess that'll have to wait now. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

It still has a long way to go, and it's going to take even longer to get there dealing with this accident. Drive carefully, everyone...

7. Mustanger

Mustanger Well-Known Member

Holy Smokes that RT is sweet looking! I'd say it is already THERE! Don't park it on the street is right...and I'm not a Mopar fan lol.

I think your shocks & struts are just as important for the ride quality too. Konis & Bilsteins & Tokikos seem to be top rated although more expensive.. I like the adustable ones best.

Yeah your car isn't badly damaged in my opinion...I'd tackle that parts replacement in a heartbeat when I was younger. Yeah I agree get rid if one or both F bodies, (post up pics so we can judge) and keep your old car for the sentimental value alone...Good luck man.

8. myk

myk Member

I'll see if I can find some pictures of the F cars. Honestly I can't let any of them go. I get behind the wheel of any of these cars and suddenly life makes sense. I don't have friends, family, any special talents or any sort of claim to fame but I do have my cars and that's what I love about life. Ah here's the F-bird.

[​IMG]

9. ttocs

ttocs Post Whore

I thought you didn't have a garage? you will need one for a little while to strip the front end, drill out the spot welds before you can even start to weld the new one in. I would think that the proper way to do it would be on a frame table so you can ensure nothing sags during the removal and then the install.

10. myk

myk Member

Spot welds for...the bumper support? The core support? Hell I can't even get the hood open as it's stuck. Maybe I won't be able to do this on my own...

11. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Hold on now, the hood latch might just be stuck. Get the hood open and the bumper cover off and take some pictures to see if the radiator core support is bent. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

12. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

I would just drive that 440 as a daily if I lived in SoCal.

Hotchkis is really good stuff! No wonder it drives so well.

13. myk

myk Member

Yeah, I need to get that hood open...

14. stowahstang

stowahstang New Member

I have a fairly good GT bumper and foam insert available.
    [​IMG]
    Has small puncher
    [​IMG]
    And I have both airbags.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15. PinkieT

PinkieT Well-Known Member

Keep it! If the unibody is straight and all you have to do is replace parts, you can get that thing back on the road for cheap. I searched the interweb and found an LKQ Pick Your Part in Chula Vista charging $43 including core charged for air bag or fender. You might be lucky and find a white car with good front end parts and not even have to paint anything. If you were close to me, I would buy the car from you and fix it myself!

16. myk

myk Member

Can I trust used airbag pieces though? I mean, I'm not concerned about them deploying in case of another accident, but what about deploying randomly because of old, used, unverified electronics?

17. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Used bags are the only bags you're going to get. From what I understand, Ford stopped making them several years ago.

18. lutter94

lutter94 Well-Known Member

Were the bags in the car not old used unverified electronics?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. Nighttrain

:hump:
    Those 440's are nothing to laugh at even with the chargers being boats. And unlike mustanger im a mopar fan... the post a little further down showing the bumper and bags is waht you need! That little hole is easy to patch too! I get it with not wanting to sell anything, ive had a few f bodies.....hated em lol. But thats me. We can talk you through just about anything so dont get discouraged.

20. myk

myk Member

True, but I know how my car overall lived its life: properly cared for, and not left sitting out in a field or some shop floor waiting to be picked up by a buyer.

Boat is an accurate desciption lol. In all honesty even my '98 can outrun the Charger, but for some reason I've outgrown the need to have the fastest car on the block anymore. I truly appreciate the encouragement guys...