Moving on or not, decision to be made...

Nighttrain

Reaction score
True, but I know how my car overall lived its life: properly cared for, and not left sitting out in a field or some shop floor waiting to be picked up by a buyer.

Boat is an accurate desciption lol. In all honesty even my '98 can outrun the Charger, but for some reason I've outgrown the need to have the fastest car on the block anymore. I truly appreciate the encouragement guys...

I guess im still a little kid at heart, i love to go fast....anyway you can hang out here like lutter said, we good ppl, and can walk you through it.

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
I personally couldn't care less about the airbags; I don't plan on re-installing them until after the body work is done and my bank accounts recover as well. I guess I failed to mention that a body shop quoted me $800 to repair the front end damage, and this includes OEM (probably pick-a-part) pieces and paint, but the airbags will cost me about $2K to get them reinstalled. I drove the Charger in college for years and never worried about airbags. I drove the Charger off of a freeway on-ramp onto the freeway below and didn't care about airbags lol. The only reason why I'm even considering the replacement of the airbags is for potential passengers and my liability with them as my passengers.

Since I'm in a pensive mood, I've come up with a question: do you guys think that my choice in those cheap SR lowering springs might have lessened the 98's braking performance? It sure didn't help that the car doesn't have ABS either. I have a feeling that if I had been in either of the F bodies, both with more expensive, well-known suspension 'mods and ABS, the accident may have been lessened or avoided altogether.

In any case, you guys and this place are definitely cool to hang with. I'll add disappearing for a year to my growing list of regrets, but I'm going to blame my local speed shop for turning me off to the car in the first place...

Mustanger

Reaction score
You have a lot of nice cars OP!!! Don't sell yourself short my friend...You are more talented than you think, I sure wish you had a garage to keep them in! (At least the Mustangs! hehe...) Don't get me wrong I always loved the Mopar styling & the running gear, they have stood the test of time great looking & hard to beat. I even love the new Challengers & Chargers, I just remember the old ones were not quality builds when new, had a 69 Charger in the family & they never could fix the over heating or the leaks, or windows falling down into the doors, or broken switches & plastic trim etc. we only kept it a year or so...lol, looked fantastic! but then I had an 88 F150 that was a true Lemon too. So I guess they all do it)

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
Sorry that Charger didn't work out for you. I guess I was lucky? The only time my Charger broke was when I tried to mess with it lol. In any case, my '98 is in the shop, starting its road to recovery. AAA has cut me a check for the car and with that it looks like life is moving forward again. Speaking of moving forward, I got my Eibach Sportlines and Koni's installed on the '01 yesterday:

Let me tell you guys. When the car got set back down on its wheels after the install I was so stunned by the effect of the suspension drop that I started to cry because I thought it was so freaking beautiful. I haven't been this moved by a car in a long time. I guess this makes me crazy considering this car is obselete and forgotten history to most people who know anything about cars. Again I have questions: do you guys think I should use spacers on the back wheels? I'm running 1.5" spacers on the 98's rear wheels but I feel they stick out too much. I think maybe an inch or maybe even 3/4" of an inch would be perfect. Any recommendations? I've been American Muscle's whore for anything Mustang so I don't see many options besides what they're selling. I see 1" spacers on their site but I guess they're only for "aftermarket wheels?"

Finally, I'm stoked with the level of drop from the Sportlines. Anything less would have been a compromise for me, as I can't imagine my car any other way. The ride isn't bad at all, at least not to me. This car handles like night and day compared to its stock suspension and I'm going so far to say that this car probably out-handles my '99 T/A, the best handling car I have to date. I know these sort of posts are about 17 years too late for most of you, so I thank everyone for listening to my rants as I'm just NOW discovering New Edge Mustangs. Any input is appreciated!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a set of 1" wheel spacers I just put up for sale for $40 shipped lower 48
IMG_20160909_141919981.jpg

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Add sfc, and a few other minor things and the handling will totally surprise you. In all honesty you could go crazy with these things and blow any gm outta the water.

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
They are the round aluminum 40 shipped brand lol. They are used and I see no name on them

I might have to take you up on your offer as I'm thinking the 1.5" spacers I got from AM will push the wheels out more than I like.

As for those 1.5" spacers, do any of you guys have experience with them? They're the Coyote brand billet 1.5" pieces. The instructions state I'll have to buy open ended, conical lug nuts to bolt the wheel onto the spacer, but...I don't want my back wheel lugs looking different than the fronts. Am I looking at this wrong? Or can I use the open-ended lugs that came with the spacer to bolt the spacer to the axle, and then use my factory lug nuts to bolt the wheel to the spacer?

Another minor question: are the antennas themselves supposed to be threaded male or female on the end? I took off my giant antenna only to find out that the bottom end is female. As usual, any input is appreciated, guys...

Magic

Reaction score
I might have to take you up on your offer as I'm thinking the 1.5" spacers I got from AM will push the wheels out more than I like.

As for those 1.5" spacers, do any of you guys have experience with them? They're the Coyote brand billet 1.5" pieces. The instructions state I'll have to buy open ended, conical lug nuts to bolt the wheel onto the spacer, but...I don't want my back wheel lugs looking different than the fronts. Am I looking at this wrong? Or can I use the open-ended lugs that came with the spacer to bolt the spacer to the axle, and then use my factory lug nuts to bolt the wheel to the spacer?

Another minor question: are the antennas themselves supposed to be threaded male or female on the end? I took off my giant antenna only to find out that the bottom end is female. As usual, any input is appreciated, guys...

You can use the open ended nuts that come with the spacers to install them on to the axle. Then use your stock lug nuts to install the wheel.

The antenna has a male thread.

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
Nice WS6 by the way. Always had a soft spot for the 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies.

Thanks for the info and the comment. I love 90's to early millennium cars like the SN95's, New Edges and 4th Gen F-bodies, which is why I own them all lol.

In any case, the 1.5" spacers push the wheels out too far IMO. It doesn't help that I can now see that my rear axle is NOT centered to the body; not a good look. I may have to look into the 1" spacers...

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
I'll post a few, but it's hard to see the uncentered rear end. All these pictures show is how much the wheel sticks out on each side; some like this look, I'm not sold on it:

The difference between the two sides isn't MUCH, but it's enough for me to notice and it bothers me. On my F bodies I bought an adjustable panhard bar and I was able to center their axles pretty easily. My google-fu shows me that for the New Edge it won't be that easy. In any case, I know someone locally with 1" spacers; I'll give them a shot and see if I like the look better. Hell I may just ditch the spacers altogether. Question: with the wheels pushed out that far how will this affect handling? Negatively, I'm assuming?

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Im one of those that likes that look, or a wicked deepdish wide as crap rear tire. Some people say having two different width tires on a car affects the handling. I didnt experience that. I will say if you go too wide on the front it tends to grab ruts and stuff noticeably.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online