Mustang turns off

Sn95andy

Reaction score
I got a 1995 mustang gt runs good but recently just randomly started turning off but it doesn’t misfire before it turns off, it doesn’t overheat if anyone knows why could y’all let me know

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got a 1995 mustang gt runs good but recently just randomly started turning off but it doesn’t misfire before it turns off, it doesn’t overheat if anyone knows why could y’all let me know
Little more info, maybe?
Dies only while driving it? Or while static too?
Obvious first round of things to check:
MAF
fuel delivery(pump, injectors)
spark (plugs fouled?, wires seated?)
ignition (key tumbler loose? Coil good? Trace wiring to starter.
wiring (battery cables loose? Posts loose or corroded?starter bolts loose? Starter cable loose or a corroded? alternator strong? Seated? Wires loose or need changing?
fuses all good? None blown, loose or not seated properly?
Basically, start with the Usual Culprits and through the process of elimination you should uncover the villain!

Get back to us with results. And take Rau’s advice… ditch the MSD if you have one. I did and haven’t looked back or even missed it for that matter!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sn95andy

Reaction score
Little more info, maybe?
Dies only while driving it? Or while static too?
Obvious first round of things to check:
MAF
fuel delivery(pump, injectors)
spark (plugs fouled?, wires seated?)
ignition (key tumbler loose? Coil good? Trace wiring to starter.
wiring (battery cables loose? Posts loose or corroded?starter bolts loose? Starter cable loose or a corroded? alternator strong? Seated? Wires loose or need changing?
fuses all good? None blown, loose or not seated properly?
Basically, start with the Usual Culprits and through the process of elimination you should uncover the villain!

Get back to us with results. And take Rau’s advice… ditch the MSD if you have one. I did and haven’t looked back or even missed it for that matter!
Yea I did all that stuff first then it still did it so after that I replaced the tfi but it still did it im thinking it could be something in the distributor but I have no clue and no it’s a stock distributor

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Check your fuel cutoff switch in the trunk. If you have anything in the trunk that can bump it. It will act like it was hit or moved and kill the car. Also verify condition of connection.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
check your wire connector at the coil green red make sure its connected good on the terminals ,could be a lose connection

Wmac

Reaction score
If it randomly shuts down when hot and then will restart about a 1/2 hr later, suspect a bad pip sensor. Not too difficult to replace, but as others have mentioned, what mods have been done to the engine?

OP
OP
S

Sn95andy

Reaction score
If it randomly shuts down when hot and then will restart about a 1/2 hr later, suspect a bad pip sensor. Not too difficult to replace, but as others have mentioned, what mods have been done to the engine?Once it turns off it take a couple tries for it to start and I have a sr performance intake and sr performance throttle body

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack, just want to learn…. What’s “PIP”?

Wmac

Reaction score
The ignition profile sensor. Its inside the dizzy, the wiring harness connects to it. Pop the cap and you will see it. Have to pull the distributor and remove the gear to pull the shaft out and change.
Gear is a press fit, but can be pulled with a small bearing splitter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online